Applied for Citizenship!

Old Dec 28th 2023, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applied for Citizenship!

Good Morning guys,

I’ve been a part of this community for about 6-7 years now, ever since I applied for a K-1 in early 2016.

I have just recently sent off my N-400 and I can’t believe it’s been that long already. Just wanted to give you guys an update on my journey and always a shout out to the people who helped me along the way.

With that being said, what should be expecting to come in terms of the interview and ceremony? I have an app downloaded for the civics test. I’m in Omaha, Nebraska and I know usually things move a little quicker here as it’s not a huge city.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Josh
Old Dec 28th 2023, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applied for Citizenship!

Congratulations on submitting the application., The interview is easy. They want you to pass. You'll be asked to verify all the information you submitted and that you are still married either to the same US Citizen or to a US Citizen for at least 3 years and 1` day at the time of the interview. You be asked a series of civic questions. All you need are 6 correct. As soon as you have the six correct, they will stop the questions.\\

Either you will be given the approval then and there or you will be told you will get the results in the mail. The same with the date of the naturalization ceremony unless Omaha does it the same day as the interview. Each ceremony is conducted differently. My husband's was cut and dry. No speeches by the Judge or the President. No flag given out. No pictures with the Judge.

Hopefully someone who has naturalized in Omaha will come forward to tell you their experience.
Old Dec 28th 2023, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice Rete!

I actually got divorced a year and a half ago. So I have to wait the 5 years (which is in February but I could apply 90 days before apparently). Hope that doesn’t hurt anything, I actually got my 10 year GC whilst being divorced and it wasn’t too painful.

I was asking a couple friends the questions on the civics test and they had no clue. It was quite funny that Americans don’t know half the answers either!
Old Dec 29th 2023, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your divorce will not hurt you in naturalizing. Yes, it is sad that today's Americans have no clue about the history of their country nor do they know how their government works. You'll do well. Lay you odds that you will get the first 6 questions correct.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

No idea why the previous responder assumed you were married and filing under the 3-year rule since that was not even mentioned in your post (and your posting history confirms you are divorced), but as a general note to those who are applying on that basis, you have be married at least three years on the date you file, NOT the date of your interview.

The app for the questions is very useful. I would just go through a dozen or so every day during a break at work, while waiting for something to cook in the oven, etc. Some of them you will know already - in fact, there are some questions that I cannot imagine anyone living in this country would not know. Eventually you’ll have them off by heart like learning your times tables as a child.

I had my interview by video call during COVID and even though we were in separate rooms and talking through a video screen (it was like a FaceTime call), we still had to wear masks so I found the most difficult part was being able to hear what was being said because of the thick muffling mask she was wearing. The interview was very straightforward. If you’ve made it this far, it’s mostly just procedural and a box-ticking exercise.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
No idea why the previous responder assumed you were married and filing under the 3-year rule since that was not even mentioned in your post (and your posting history confirms you are divorced), but as a general note to those who are applying on that basis, you have be married at least three years on the date you file, NOT the date of your interview.

The app for the questions is very useful. I would just go through a dozen or so every day during a break at work, while waiting for something to cook in the oven, etc. Some of them you will know already - in fact, there are some questions that I cannot imagine anyone living in this country would not know. Eventually you’ll have them off by heart like learning your times tables as a child.

I had my interview by video call during COVID and even though we were in separate rooms and talking through a video screen (it was like a FaceTime call), we still had to wear masks so I found the most difficult part was being able to hear what was being said because of the thick muffling mask she was wearing. The interview was very straightforward. If you’ve made it this far, it’s mostly just procedural and a box-ticking exercise.
he mentioned he came here on a K1, hence 3 yr rule
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 9:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
he mentioned he came here on a K1, hence 3 yr rule
Marriage can make you eligibility 2 years earlier, but does not mean you have to file under 3 year rule in the same way I was eligible under 3 year rule having come as an L1a / then PR via EB1c because I also happened to marry a USC after becoming a LPR… you have to look at circumstances not type of visa / route to PR…
Old Feb 11th 2024, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

London1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did my citizenship a few years back and these are just a copule of things i remember

1) Put your Alian number on every page - I was told not everyone does and that counts as a negative
2) The questions are dead easy and you only need to get 6 right out of 10, two of mine were whats the national anthum of the united states and what ocean is on the west coast of the us.
3) I was interviewed by two people - not normal it should be just one but the person asking me the questions was being trained
4) They ask you how much time you have been out of the states in the last 5 years - you have to put this on the form, I got two dates wrong (minus 2 points for me). What was scary was that they had a program to open up that showed themall my travel dates - big brother is watching you
5) I passed the interview and told the same day and then was given the choice of doing the ceremony 3 days later in a court room in Malden or wait a week and have the ceremony in Faneuil Hall in Boston - kind of cool to have it there where revolutionary meetings took place for the birth of America
6) Don't laminate your naturilazation certificate as they will not replace it.

Brendan
Old Mar 24th 2024, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys!

just want to give an update. Went to my interview last week and was really easy. Only thing that happened was that I got married and my dumb self forgot my new marriage license. So I had to send that in yesterday, but the interviewer said once he has that I am good to go.

Questions were really easy. He was a nice guy and spoke about a couple other things too. Pretty personable!

Will update when I do through my ceremony!

thanks
Old Mar 24th 2024, 3:17 pm
Concierge

Thanks for the update Junior. Let us know when your oath ceremony will be.
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

nigelhorne is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't agree more, the interview was easy and friendly. If you've reached this far, they want you to be a USC and it shows. The hard parts are behind you.
I became a very proud USC in November and I'm so pleased. Good luck.