Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS for permanent resident's daughter

AOS for permanent resident's daughter

Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS for permanent resident's daughter

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Rene
Originally Posted by Boiler
No
Clear as mud then
Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Clear as mud then
What the risk of flying twice across the Atlantic, not mega but not nil.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 3:47 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M80
She hasn't been here long. Yes she took time out of school to come here. I've been trying to contact our school district to find out how to enroll her for school so at least she can get her education without too much of a gap.
The schools don't turn kids away for immigration status, but attending school as a visitor is a violation of the person's immigration status. So you need to decide if this move is really going to be permanent because once the child attends school on the VWP, then all future VWP travel is off the table. All future will be with either an I-512 parole document or a green card (if the person continues to be an intending immigrant). AOS is doable in this case because of the USC spouse counts as an immediate relative. Without the USC spouse, a child of an LPR cannot adjust from VWP visitor to LPR.

Last edited by crg; Feb 14th 2018 at 3:52 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Certainly if she is staying best to file asap, and not travel without AP.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Emma M80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
AOS is doable in this case because of the USC spouse counts as an immediate relative. Without the USC spouse, a child of an LPR cannot adjust from VWP visitor to LPR.
That's useful to know, thank you.
So when we file, would we file with my husband as the petitioner and me as a "joint sponsor", or would it matter? He's her step father, I'm her biological mother, would that have any bearing on this case?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

So when we file, would we file with my husband as the petitioner and me as a "joint sponsor", or would it matter? He's her step father, I'm her biological mother, would that have any bearing on this case?
If he can not show the financials then you can be the joint sponsor.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter is a "step-child" of an AmCit. He would petition for her on the I-130. Concomitant with being the petitioner he is a required sponsor on the I-864 affidavit of support.

Although the case appears eminently doable, there are issues which suggest an experienced local immigration attorney may be a good idea.

(BTW, I am amused that many of the lay "regulars" here are stronger naysayers than my professional paranoia. Over the years, it has been just the opposite)
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Enquiring minds would like to know what these issues may be.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Although the case appears eminently doable, there are issues which suggest an experienced local immigration attorney may be a good idea.
Yet again there is no expansion on what they are.... your posts are so frustrating! If you think we are naysayers and you know better than please, educate us!!
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yet again there is no expansion on what they are.... your posts are so frustrating! If you think we are naysayers and you know better than please, educate us!!
I suggest you read this thread.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 3:10 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
(BTW, I am amused that many of the lay "regulars" here are stronger naysayers than my professional paranoia. Over the years, it has been just the opposite)
When I saw your post, I thought someone must have hacked your account!
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

So would I need to file both I-130 and I-485 concurrently, or just the I-485?
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 5:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So would I need to file both I-130 and I-485 concurrently, or just the I-485?
Both! And you will not file, your USC husband needs to file under his name. Also include the I-131, I-485 and the Affidavit of Support I-864 since she is in the US and will not be leaving. Both the I-130 and the I-485 will be adjudicated at the same time, usually at the time of the AOS interview if there is one.

Did you not have your consultation with an immigration attorney yet?
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Both! And you will not file, your USC husband needs to file under his name. Also include the I-131, I-485 and the Affidavit of Support I-864 since she is in the US and will not be leaving. Both the I-130 and the I-485 will be adjudicated at the same time, usually at the time of the AOS interview if there is one.

Did you not have your consultation with an immigration attorney yet?
Thank you! No, not yet. Although we are trying to find a good one that's not too far away.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! No, not yet. Although we are trying to find a good one that's not too far away.
AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association

Is your daughter still within the 90 days of her VWP entry permitted timeline?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.