Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it any easier to eventually get into the USA by first emigrating to Canada?

Is it any easier to eventually get into the USA by first emigrating to Canada?

Old Nov 20th 2016, 10:44 pm
Banned

AndrePettersson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it any easier to eventually get into the USA by first emigrating to Canada?

Given the sheer difficulties/near impossibility of emigrating directly from the UK to the USA, if I initially employed a more roundabout approach by first getting into Canada (which is slightly 'easier' by having a points based test that I meet), stayed and gained experience there for a certain period of time with a view to obtaining their citizenship:

(1) Are there any US immigration concessions or privileges granted to Canadians or resident aliens in Canada under NAFTA or the TN visa scheme which would make it far easier then for a British Citizen from London?

(2) Would the geographical proximity being based just north of the border (even as a resident alien) make it less complex to facilitate a job offer in the USA, even if I don't have the Green Card?
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it any easier to eventually get into the USA by first emigrating to Canada?

Originally Posted by AndrePettersson
(1) Are there any US immigration concessions or privileges granted to Canadians or resident aliens in Canada under NAFTA or the TN visa scheme which would make it far easier then for a British Citizen from London?
Yes. Canadian citizens have the TN visa available. Whether you will qualify for that once you're a Canadian citizen or not, I don't know.

(2) Would the geographical proximity being based just north of the border (even as a resident alien) make it less complex to facilitate a job offer in the USA, even if I don't have the Green Card?
Perhaps, as it would mean you could take VWP trips to the USA without an 8+ hour flight, in case you get called to an interview in the USA. Physically being in Canada probably won't increase your chances of actually getting a job offer, as the US employer would still have to do all the exact same paperwork and spend the same amount of money to bring you to the USA on a work visa, as if you were in the UK. It would just make it easier to attend interviews that are nearby.

Rene
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it any easier to eventually get into the USA by first emigrating to Canada?

That's how i got in. We initially emigrated to Canada, Southern Ontario to be more specific in 2009. We became Canadian citizens after five years or so, and the company that I worked for was acquired by a larger US competitor. They transferred me about 18 months ago and back in August I got my green card.

Interestingly when my employer first asked me if I'd be interested in moving, their lawyer suggested that I wait until I become a Canadian citizen first as in their experience it is easier for a Canadian to get an L1 visa than a Brit. I think that this is to do with the fact that a Canadian's application is processed at the border crossing by CBP whereas for every other citizenship is processed by USCIS.

I've encountered lots of Canadians down here who've been transferred with their employer in the same fashion FWIW.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Given the sheer difficulties/near impossibility of emigrating directly from the UK to the USA, if I initially employed a more roundabout approach by first getting into Canada (which is slightly 'easier' by having a points based test that I meet)
Are you sure you do? It's just that I notice you don't mention having a degree/Masters but only professional qualifications (which will get you no points), so it would be unusual to be scoring enough without those. Note that I'm not talking about the minimum 67 points to qualify as a Skilled Worker, but about the CRS score once you're in the Express Entry pool. You'll need to be scoring about 460-480 as a minimum to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR, so what is your current score?

In any event, as said above, it is only easier in that you can apply for the TN visa if eligible, but it will depend on whether or not your job would qualify for that visa anyway.

If so, then once you are in Canada and have spent 4 years as a Permanent Resident there, you can apply for citizenship, which will take about a year or so to be granted. So as a long term plan i.e. 5-6 years perhaps, then it's doable, but tbh, if you don't actually want to live in Canada then I'd think you're better off just spending that time on improving your skills and/or education so you have a better shot at a visa for the US?

Canada is a great country, and personally I'd rather live there than the US, but if your actual goal is to live in the US then I can't really see the point in spending 5 years or so living somewhere you don't want to be, not to mention spending tens of thousands of pounds in moving there in the first place.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:38 pm
Banned

I just scrape the 67 pass mark. I hold an LLB (Hons) Law and an MBA degree.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I just scrape the 67 pass mark. I hold an LLB (Hons) Law and an MBA degree.
Yes, but as above, that's only the first eligibility test that lets you enter the pool of applicants, and isn't a Permanent Residency application. Once you're in the pool, you then need to be scoring enough on the CRS to be selected and invited for PR, and that's the crucial bit.

If you've got a MBA then you might be ok, but what do you score on the CRS? If you don't score enough to get PR without a job offer (above approx 460 as mentioned above), then it'll probably be just as tough to get a job offer and LMIA for Canada as it would to get a job offer for the US, so you might want to just focus on the US instead.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you sure you do? It's just that I notice you don't mention having a degree/Masters but only professional qualifications .....
LLB is a bachelor's degree in law. LLB is the latin abbreviation for "Legum Baccalaureus".

It's worth noting that a TN visa is only available for job that is specific to the degree that you hold, so you would only he able to work in the US in a role that requires an LLB, ... which ironically doesn't allow you to practice law in the US (you'd need to take additional exams to get a state law license).

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 21st 2016 at 6:31 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
LLB is a bachelor's degree in law. LLB is the latin abbreviation for "Legum Baccalaureus".
Gosh, is it? I had no idea, thanks so much for educating me.

If only my psychic powers had been up to scratch I'd have known he'd had a LLB before I made that comment eh?
Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's in fairly common usage, or at least I thought it was.
I was being sarcastic in response to your rather patronising reply.

I'm not sure why you thought I didn't know what a LLB is, but I really didn't need it explaining. If you re-read the thread you'll note that the part of my post you quoted was from *before* he said he had a LLB, so it wasn't that I didn't know that a LLB was a degree, but just that he hadn't mentioned it when I said that.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I was being sarcastic in response to your rather patronising reply. ....
Charming. I don't know why I try to help. .... I hadn't noticed that the OP's mention of his LLB was after you questioned his "lack of a degree".
Old Nov 21st 2016, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

The existence of the TN 'program' (if one were to call it that) hinges on the existence of NAFTA.... having said that, if NAFTA were to be ripped up next year, it would likely be replaced with some kind of similar agreement for highly-skilled workers/professionals.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 6:45 am
Banned

Is the Canadian TN visa programme however only applicable for certain types of jobs currently in skill shortage demand in the US (such as the STEM professions) that HR would either not be on the list, or in real terms, it could be just as difficult to get into Canada than the US?

The latter is where my longer term interest lies, but is near impossible to get into directly from the UK.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 7:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Canadian TN visa programme however only applicable for certain types of jobs...
Yes. There is an actual list of allowed professions/trades... look it up.

Ian
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the NAFTA Appendix list of eligible jobs for NAFTA professionals

Lawyer (including Notary in the Province of Quebec) LL.B., J.D., LL.L, B.C.L. or Licenciatura Degree (five years); or membership in a state/provincial bar

Refer to section 3.8 of the list as found in this link
International Mobility Program: North American Free Trade Agreement
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Given the sheer difficulties/near impossibility of emigrating directly from the UK to the USA, if I initially employed a more roundabout approach by first getting into Canada (which is slightly 'easier' by having a points based test that I meet), stayed and gained experience there for a certain period of time with a view to obtaining their citizenship:

No, for resident aliens (permanent residents). Yes, for Canadian citizens as TN visa/status jobs are available under NAFTA but only in certain occupations.

I would say so if only for the benefits of being in or around the same time zone and the ease of travel to the US. However, it would help a lot more if you were a Canadian citizen because, as mentioned above, TN occupations are then open to you.

The other benefit of being a Canadian citizen is that travel to the US is lot a lot easier (e.g. Canadian passport holders do not require ESTA) and Canadian citizens can spend a lot more time in the US as a visitor (up to 6 months a year).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 22nd 2016 at 3:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.