Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Am going to do the US Citizenship bit..

Am going to do the US Citizenship bit..

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Am going to do the US Citizenship bit..

First I would like to thank everyone here and on the 50 & 60's forum, for their wealth of information...that has ultimately lead me and helped me to the decision of finally taking the steps to become a US citizen...and I've been here in America since 1947!! Though I did live in Upper Norwood for a few years back in the 60's. I had honestly believed all these years that I would lose my British citizenship, if I had become a US citizen. And thru these forums I have fortunately learned...that won't happen and that makes me very happy. Though I know I am more American now, then British...still in my heart I just couldn't face the possibility of losing that connection to my place of birth.

Sooo, I have been doing some reading about US citizenship and costs..good lord, is now $860!! I see there is a constitution test involved. When I was in 8th grade here, many moons ago, we had to take that test and pass before we could enter high school. My question is to those who have become US citizens and taken the test....was it very hard for you, how many questions, at what location did you take the test and was it a written or verbal test?? I won't be sending my forms in til Jan. of 2012, but would so appreciate some pointers and heads-up, ahead of time.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am going to do the US Citizenship bit..

You will find many peoples experiences in the following threads.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659069
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703810
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you must have misread or mistyped but the fee is actually $680. It hasn't gone up THat much yet!

Filing Fee :
$595 (Add $85 biometric fee for a total of $680, where applicable. See form instructions for payment details.) No fee is required for military applicants filing under Section 328 and 329 of the INA. Applicants 75 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

When I did it back in 2008 under the old questions they used to use, it really wasn't that difficult and I believe the new style questions aren't that much different. The test is both written (write a simple sentence) and a verbal test (asking the questions, easy if you already speak English!). All in all really quite simple. Good luck.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Michael
Thanks for the links...was helpful. I see they give you a civics test study guide...very good!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:32 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
First I would like to thank everyone here and on the 50 & 60's forum, for their wealth of information...that has ultimately lead me and helped me to the decision of finally taking the steps to become a US citizen...and I've been here in America since 1947!! Though I did live in Upper Norwood for a few years back in the 60's. I had honestly believed all these years that I would lose my British citizenship, if I had become a US citizen. And thru these forums I have fortunately learned...that won't happen and that makes me very happy. Though I know I am more American now, then British...still in my heart I just couldn't face the possibility of losing that connection to my place of birth.

Sooo, I have been doing some reading about US citizenship and costs..good lord, is now $860!! I see there is a constitution test involved. When I was in 8th grade here, many moons ago, we had to take that test and pass before we could enter high school. My question is to those who have become US citizens and taken the test....was it very hard for you, how many questions, at what location did you take the test and was it a written or verbal test?? I won't be sending my forms in til Jan. of 2012, but would so appreciate some pointers and heads-up, ahead of time.
Congratulations on making the decision. Those links Michael gave you are just the ticket, and if you read through them you will pick up lots of tips.

The test is easy, peasy, lemon squeezy, so don't sweat it. Out of all the immigration mumbo jumbo, hoops & paperwork the citizenship process is by far the easiest thing. So you will be just fine.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:33 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links...was helpful. I see they give you a civics test study guide...very good!
Yes when you have your fingerprints done they will give you a booklet and a CD so you can play it in the car around the house, the test is extremely simple I was in a total panic but it was fine.

I don't know if you have this but link attached it might be of some help to you.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I think you must have misread or mistyped but the fee is actually $680. It hasn't gone up THat much yet!

Filing Fee :
$595 (Add $85 biometric fee for a total of $680, where applicable. See form instructions for payment details.) No fee is required for military applicants filing under Section 328 and 329 of the INA. Applicants 75 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

When I did it back in 2008 under the old questions they used to use, it really wasn't that difficult and I believe the new style questions aren't that much different. The test is both written (write a simple sentence) and a verbal test (asking the questions, easy if you already speak English!). All in all really quite simple. Good luck.
YES! $680!..I must have been looking cross-eyed when I was adding up.. Yep...have been speaking English for around 64 yrs now....so thankfully that won't be a problem for me. Thanks for the luck and thanks for the heads-up on my woeful addition or would that be my eyes..
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:47 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

YES! $680!..I must have been looking cross-eyed when I was adding up.. Yep...have been speaking English for around 64 yrs now....so thankfully that won't be a problem for me. Thanks for the luck and thanks for the heads-up on my woeful addition or would that be my eyes..
You will not have to do the english spoken test
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
Congratulations on making the decision. Those links Michael gave you are just the ticket, and if you read through them you will pick up lots of tips.

The test is easy, peasy, lemon squeezy, so don't sweat it. Out of all the immigration mumbo jumbo, hoops & paperwork the citizenship process is by far the easiest thing. So you will be just fine.
"easy, peasy, lemon squeezy" is the way I like it! I was thinking that they gave you a test of like 100 questions....again, thankfully...I was wrong. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You will not have to do the english spoken test
Nope....after all these years, I'll be doing the 'american' spoken test! If I went back to UK tomorrow..I would have to paste my birth certificate on my forehead.. I have a very definite 'Chicago' accent. When I was in England back in the 60's, the old guy that ran the tobacco shop by the Thornton Heath station, asked me if I was from Australia!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:56 am

Nope....after all these years, I'll be doing the 'american' spoken test! If I went back to UK tomorrow..I would have to paste my birth certificate on my forehead.. I have a very definite 'Chicago' accent. When I was in England back in the 60's, the old guy that ran the tobacco shop by the Thornton Heath station, asked me if I was from Australia!
Thats the same as the Americans thinking we are Germans or Russian
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

"easy, peasy, lemon squeezy" is the way I like it! I was thinking that they gave you a test of like 100 questions....again, thankfully...I was wrong.
When I did the test in the late nineties, there was a list of a possible 100 questions that you were given to prepare from (and may, of course, still be), so perhaps that was what you were thinking of. Don't worry, they ask you questions until you get ten right (or again, they did then) -- an important thing is to know who is your local congressman and your senator, they usually ask that! You'll be fine.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:02 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I think now they give you ten questions out of the hundred and you have to get six right, but I may be wrong. My DH will be doing this at the end of next year.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria
I think now they give you ten questions out of the hundred and you have to get six right, but I may be wrong. My DH will be doing this at the end of next year.
They will give you a max of 10 questions to which you have to get 6 right, if you get the 1st 6 correct then they will go no further, as soon as you hit the golden number before 10 its done

It's so easy its actually silly.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
They will give you a max of 10 questions to which you have to get 6 right, if you get the 1st 6 correct then they will go no further, as soon as you hit the golden number before 10 its done

It's so easy its actually silly.
Poppy and all...thanks so much for all the great advice and tips..I feel way more confident now. Am actually looking forward to taking this step...especially now knowing I will still retain my British citizenship. That is so very, very important to me...my country of origin and very deep roots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.