Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice needed. UK Long distance to USA.

Advice needed. UK Long distance to USA.

Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed. UK Long distance to USA.

If you are wanting to get married, then you don't need a visa to do so in the USA. You can use the VWP for this. Simply go to a courthouse, and depending on the state, you could walk away with a certificate shortly after!

However, if you're wanting to get married in the UK then she will need a visa first.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You don't need to have been engaged any specific length of time prior to her petitioning for K-1. ....
You don't have to be "engaged" at all, and as engaged isn't a legal status, nor are engagements registered by the state, the whole idea of being "engaged" or "not engaged", is irrelevant to the matter of a K-1 visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 20th 2017 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

morgancarsonn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morgancarsonn
Thank you so much.

I do have a question about the K-1 visa medical.

If I have depression, is that a problem, it isn't bad and I am on tablets from my GP as I am under stress with school. In the past I have had some problems with depression. I am diagnosed with both child and adult ADHD and they have also sent off a referral as they think I am aspergers although I am going to cancel that referral as I don't want to be labelled with that. I also have IBS, will any of this likely cause a problem with the application for the visa?
This is all great information! Thank you! Can either of you two help me with this question? I have since found some information regarding it saying I should take a letter from my GP saying I am not a threat to others or my self and won't be in the future.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
v
You don't have to be "engaged" at all, and as engaged isn't a legal status, nor are engagements registered by the state, the whole idea of being engaged or not engaged, is irrelevant to the matter of a K-1 visa.
It's a status on Facebook, if that counts?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
It's a status on Facebook, if that counts?
'it's not official, until its facebook official'
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Since no one else has mentioned it, also note that since your relationship is same sex that there are no guarantees that the immigration benefit will even be available to you in 18 months. Who knows what legal changes the new Republican dominated administration may pursue with regards to immigration.

You may want to consider accelerating your timescales if at all possible.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Since no one else has mentioned it, also note that since your relationship is same sex that there are no guarantees that the immigration benefit will even be available to you in 18 months. Who knows what legal changes the new Republican dominated administration may pursue with regards to immigration.

You may want to consider accelerating your timescales if at all possible.

Is that a possibility or are you anti-trump? I don't want to worry unnecessarily
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find the vast majority of us here are anti-Trump!

Anything is possible. Marriage equality was shoved down the throats of Republicans during the Obama years. That said, I suspect that the priorities are going to be elsewhere during the next 18 months.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is that a possibility or are you anti-trump? I don't want to worry unnecessarily
Everything is a possibility, but I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Since no one else has mentioned it, also note that since your relationship is same sex that there are no guarantees that the immigration benefit will even be available to you in 18 months. ....
For the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage to be overturned would either require the Supreme Court to reconsider the matter AND come to a different conclusion*, OR there would have to be a constitutional amendment. The former would be unprecedented after such a short elapse of time, and the second is, for all practical purposes, impossible.

* As an aside I think it would be truely unprecedented for the Supreme Court to remove a right it has previously granted.

It was pointed out a couple of years ago that the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage was a huge a boon to the Republicans, a point I agreed with at the time. And in the 2016 election, same sex marriage was, as far as I remember, even mentioned as an issue. The world has moved on for all but a small percentage of the US population.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 21st 2017 at 12:45 am.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:51 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The chances of a Supreme Court ruling being overturned would either require the Supreme Court to reconsider the matter AND come to a different conclusion, or there to be a constitutional amendment. The former would be unprecedented after such a short elapse of time, and the second is, for all practical purposes, impossible.
But far from impossible once the inevitable new Conservative justice is sworn in.

I'm not saying it will happen, just something to be aware of.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This is all great information! Thank you! Can either of you two help me with this question? I have since found some information regarding it saying I should take a letter from my GP saying I am not a threat to others or my self and won't be in the future.
Yes, get such a letter from your GP. Better to have it than not. In general should not be a problem.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you've decided on a marriage based visa, I'll close this thread, and you can start one in our Marriage-Based Visa forum.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:48 am

But far from impossible ....
I entirely disagree, it is very close to impossible. ..... Not least because it isn't an isue that Donald Trump seems to care in the slightest about.

As a secondary point, you'd need a plaintiff to bring a case, and as was discussed in the hearings ahead of the Supreme Court ruling on same sex marriage, it is hard to see how anyone would be harmed/ disadvantaged by same-sex marriage. In other words, you can't bring a case against same-sex marriage just because you don't like the idea of someone else marrying someone of the same sex as themself.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 21st 2017 at 12:56 am.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you've decided on a marriage based visa, I'll close this thread, and you can start one in our Marriage-Based Visa forum.

Rene
That would be great thanks Rene. Thanks you for your help everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.