Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Adoption/Applying for British Citizenship

Adoption/Applying for British Citizenship

Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:57 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adoption/Applying for British Citizenship

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I suspect that information is out of date. You should complete Section 6 and the Home Office will send you a letter about how to enrol your son's biometrics.

Don't forget Section 5.

The list of required evidence is on pages 28-29 of Guide MN1. In addition to the documents you've already mentioned you should provide your full British birth certificate (this will show your parents' details), evidence of your habitual residence in the US and confirmation from social services that the adoption has complied with all the relevant local legislation.

It would probably be a good idea to renew your British passport before lodging and submit a full photocopy of all the pages.

The fee leaflet has a payment slip on the last page you should use.

Sounds like you're making a pretty good fist of it thus far.

Hello - Regarding Section 5 - Referees and Identity.
It states that the other referee must normally the holder of British citizen passport and either a professional person or overt he age of 25.
My problem is that I do not know any British citizens that know my son living over here. I was going to use the daycare director and one daycare staff member as both referees. However, they are both US citizens. Is there anyway around this?? Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:00 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the previous comments. I had put this on the shelf because I was waiting until my adopted son got his social security card and everything was finalized. Then my husband unfortunately got laid off so it is still on the shelf. But I just need help with the Section 5 - regarding one of the referee needing to be British and no one here I know that is British and knows my son.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 6:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Hello - Regarding Section 5 - Referees and Identity.
It states that the other referee must normally the holder of British citizen passport and either a professional person or overt he age of 25.
My problem is that I do not know any British citizens that know my son living over here. I was going to use the daycare director and one daycare staff member as both referees. However, they are both US citizens. Is there anyway around this?? Thanks
Originally Posted by moi
Thanks for the previous comments. I had put this on the shelf because I was waiting until my adopted son got his social security card and everything was finalized. Then my husband unfortunately got laid off so it is still on the shelf. But I just need help with the Section 5 - regarding one of the referee needing to be British and no one here I know that is British and knows my son.
Check the guidance regarding Section 5.

If the child is living abroad and does not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as a referee, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which he or she is residing may complete and sign the form, provided they have a similar standing in that country.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:31 am
moi
Forum Regular

My son was approved and received his British Citizenship.
Took a total of about 5/6 months. Thanks for the guidance.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on successfully navigating the adoption and obtaining British citizenship for your son.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Always great to hear a success story, congratulations!