A year in Perth

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default A year in Perth

Well we've been here a year today

The year has flown by but it also feels like a life time ago that we were living in the UK.

Hubby & kids have settled in really well. He's enjoying his job & the kids love school/kindy. Both kids are at GKR karate now & my daughter is doing really well (grading again next weekend) & she's keen to start entering tournaments. Not sure the little fella will ever actually grade but he's having fun.

I'm not working yet but have started at Uni, which I never thought I'd do & I'm training as an Education Assistant. I've made some lovely friends here which I feel really lucky to have & have also got to know some old friends really well (it's certainly a small world). I still struggle with home sickness at times because of my 3 teenagers back in the UK & I don't suppose that will ever really change. If I'm having a bad day I go & grab a coffee, take my book & go & sit by the sea for a bit & everything seems to calm down for me again.

Sadly we've already had to cope with one of 'those phone calls' & hubby had to fly back to the UK for a week. It's things like that that make you realise quite how far away we are.

Skype, facebook & voip have been invaluable & it's not unusual for me to have a couple of hour Skype call with my daughter whilst she makes her breakfast & I prepare dinner. It doesn't cost anything so doesn't seem to matter if we prattle on about anything & nothing. She manage to share a severe storm we had in July & couldn't believe how loud the wind & rain was. I was home alone with the little 2 so her company online at the time was lovely.

It has certainly been a roller coaster of emotions with loads of highs but quite a few very tearful lows for me but all in all an amazing year. I love where we live & still can't believe we have the beach on our doorstep. There is so much still to see & to discover. The wildlife fascinates me & my favorite moment so far has to be seeing a pod of dolphins not far from Burns Beach that were so close that I could hear them squeaking.

All in all it feels like this is home now & I can't see us ever going back.

Alison x
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

AnnPaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A year in Perth

Well done on reaching your first anniversary. I'm really interested to know how you've coped with leaving 3 of your children in the UK. We are seriously considering going back early next year (did the whole ping-pong thing a while ago!) This would mean leaving our 4 children here and, although they will all be in their 20's by then, it is still something I know I will find hard. The eldest got married on Monday, the youngest goes off to Uni in 3 weeks and the other two are both in full time careers so it's not as if they are not able to look after themselves, but you never stop being their Mum no matter how old they are.

Don't want to hijack your thread, just interested in how it was for you!

Ann
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:42 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Happy for you.

Alistair.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Glad to hear you're getting on well after your first year. Getting your kids into GKR and other out-of-school activities is a great way to meet like-minded parents and extend your social group. Maybe try getting a part-time job to start with (although that's easier said than done) and/or join a health/fitness club; anything to get out of the house and into some sort of routine.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if you'd do an update.

Good on you, and well done for having the guts to do that Uni course and take control of your future.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

msbds is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your 1st Anniversary! We've just got our visa approval today, so we're hoping to be over soon. My eldest two don't want to come with us though so I'm struggling (16 & 13.5) I'm hoping they're gonna follow out in a few months after visiting. How old are your teens in the UK? Sharon
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update Alison. Congrats and I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

I too often go down to Burns beach if things get me down. Its amazing the calm effect the ocean and the beautiful scenery can have.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the year
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:58 am
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for you, glad things are going ok.
What sort of course are you studying at Uni?
We got our visa on Wednesday this week for WA
Hope you don't mind me asking but I am a learning support assistant at the moment in a Primary School. Would I have to get Ozzie qualifications or some form of training?
Good luck to you and your family.
Debs
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AnnPaul
Well done on reaching your first anniversary. I'm really interested to know how you've coped with leaving 3 of your children in the UK. We are seriously considering going back early next year (did the whole ping-pong thing a while ago!) This would mean leaving our 4 children here and, although they will all be in their 20's by then, it is still something I know I will find hard. The eldest got married on Monday, the youngest goes off to Uni in 3 weeks and the other two are both in full time careers so it's not as if they are not able to look after themselves, but you never stop being their Mum no matter how old they are.

Don't want to hijack your thread, just interested in how it was for you!

Ann
I don't think I have really coped, I've just kind of muddled through. My 3 are now 18, 16 & 15 & have lived with their father for some years. My eldest is now working & doing an apprenticeship, number 2 is now at college & number 3 has just started her last year of school as well as doing a college course. So they are all fairly well settled.

When we left the UK my older daughter wasn't talking to me. She said I wasn't her mother as I was leaving & didn't want anything to do with me. In some ways it made things a bit easier as I just focused on the boys as there was no getting through to her at the time so I kind of switched off. It was heartbreaking leaving the boys at the airport, I can't lie on that one. My daughter started talking to me again a couple of weeks after we got here & I talk to her more than anyone else.

We have voip phones with a UK number on one of the lines so my kids can ring me from their mobiles using their inclusive minutes. Not that the boys ever remember to ring!! As I said in my original post I chat in Skype a lot to my daughter & I text them all a lot. We also have a UK text only number which they can text me on although they normally forget they have the free option & text my phone. And of course there is good old facebook.

I do think even if we'd have stayed put in the UK the chances are they'd decide to go traveling at some point in the not so distant future & then I'd still be apart from them. At least if they decide to travel now they can do Oz easily with somewhere to stay. Well that's what I hope any way

Like you say you never stop being their Mum & I miss them like crazy

Alison x
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by debs&tim
Good for you, glad things are going ok.
What sort of course are you studying at Uni?
We got our visa on Wednesday this week for WA
Hope you don't mind me asking but I am a learning support assistant at the moment in a Primary School. Would I have to get Ozzie qualifications or some form of training?
Good luck to you and your family.
Debs
Congratulations on getting your visas When are you hoping to move over here?

I was told by my kids school that at present you don't need any qualifications to be an Education Assistant. Although I was a registered childminder in the UK & worked in a playgroup I don't have any qualifications & the other qualifications I gained in the UK don't seem to be recognised. So I decided to do the course here & get some qualifications that would (fingers crossed) help me in a career.

Alison x
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I was wondering if you'd do an update.

Good on you, and well done for having the guts to do that Uni course and take control of your future.
Only a few months & you get to do your update

Alison x

Ps. We must be about due for a coffee!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 3:42 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by al150n
Congratulations on getting your visas When are you hoping to move over here?

I was told by my kids school that at present you don't need any qualifications to be an Education Assistant. Although I was a registered childminder in the UK & worked in a playgroup I don't have any qualifications & the other qualifications I gained in the UK don't seem to be recognised. So I decided to do the course here & get some qualifications that would (fingers crossed) help me in a career.

Alison x
Hi Alison
Thanks, we are hoping Feb time, depending on house sale etc.

That's good if they don't need any qualifications. As I started as a parent helper 7 years ago and developed from there and am now a Learning Support Assistant/Teaching Assistant. If I don't get any joy with a job in a primary school I will definitely go for the training option and go to a college.

I have three girls 17,14 and 9 who are competitive swimmers both county and regional. Do you know of any good swimming clubs to get into as obviously they still want to carry on competing?

Glad you are ok and thank you again for your reply.

Debs xx