Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Originally Posted by Hutch
You're like a stuck record...
And you're showing your age Do people under the age of 20 know what that expression means? Must ask the girls.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
And you're showing your age Do people under the age of 20 know what that expression means? Must ask the girls.
You're like a scratched CD? You're like a corrupt MP3? I'm a DJ - vinyl forever!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:34 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

You're like a scratched CD? You're like a corrupt MP3? I'm a DJ - vinyl forever!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Last summer had some great weeks even though we did have a lot of rain, ok it was the worse out of the last 5 summers I have been back but hey, I enjoyed them after Oz and the oppresive heat you do appriciate our weather.
When were they

Sorry to hear you're feeling confused Mochinbach don't rush into buying, rent a while see how things go Aus will still be here waiting for you if it doesn't work out
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:46 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Your not in Gloucestershire then? Or Chesterfield?
We didnt get a summer - just hell, floods, flies - so many people i know are still not even back in their houses from last years floods.
Christmas in a caravan (and still in the caravan) - mainly because the government wont kick ass to get insurance companies to pay up quicker or to continue paying for rented accomodation!

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Since I have back the summers have been lovely, so much better than the oppressive heat of Perth
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:18 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

My 19yr old loves vinyl... however the first record he bought and put on our old turntable... he put the needle at the end of the record and wondered why the arm kept lifting off!!!

I had to tell him that records play from the outside in!!!

Ali x
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Hi Selina

Found you then!! Enjoyed reading your log and even think I may have read it once before without knowing who you were!

It was great to meet you yesterday and look forward to keep in touch regarding the big, scary emigration process!

Good luck with all the wedding preps.

Helen xx

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Part one!

We’re leaving the country in 3 weeks and returning to an icy, chilly England. It was always going to be that way, that’s what we planned all along. We’d spend one year in the ‘land down under’ and see how we felt.

We’d never been here before. The only references I had were taken from my obsessional viewing of the Australian soaps. From England I dreamt up a world with beautiful beaches and stunning sunsets, a land where everyone was having a BBQ and anyone could join in, a land where the sun always shines and the sea is always a beautiful turquoise. There were going to be parrots and Koalas in my back garden and I would have to be very careful to ensure I warded off the many deadly creatures that could kill me at any moment. It meant selling my house, leaving my job behind for a year, putting my career on hold, leaving my family and friends and not seeing them for 12 months. It was really hard and the stress of making the decision, selling the house, leaving work and my students (I am a teacher), saying goodbye to my family and best friend was really difficult. I felt selfish and scared and excited all at the same time. It was the hardest and strangest feeling to deal with. On my blog, which documented the entire 18 months process of getting the visa and the preparations for departure, I have commented that I felt nothing. It is true to some extent that I really didn’t have time to feel much at all! My school was in the final stage of a HMI inspection to pull us out of special measures, I was incharge of shipping, selling the house, the car, storing our belongings etc and I was exhausted! I remember in the final days bursting into tears in the staffroom before briefing, not eating for a week in the build up to it all and not understanding why I was in such turmoil! The plane journey was really the only time I had to let it all sink in. I had left. I wasn’t coming back for what seemed then a very long time and the bubble of security, safety and comfort was being left behind for someone else. I am thankful, however, that I was taking my partner with me, the OH who consequently became my Fiance Without him I am sure that I would never have had the strength to do any of this.

My family and friends, no doubt, have always seen me as an extroverted, carefree individual. However, in truth I like routine and I enjoy having something familiar to return to at night. This was like nothing I’d ever done before in my life and it was terrifying. I just kept repeating the mantra “nothing great comes easy”. It was a mantra that kept me focused and happy to persue this dream for a long time.

When we arrived in Australia (in January 08) we landed in Perth and then began a long travelling journey that took us all over the place. Having spent hours and hours researching and chatting to expats on the net we had decided that the place to be was Brisbane. Through conversations we were having on line, and perhaps a little bit of selective hearing, we had deicded that this was the place for us; the place with the beaches, the koalas the parrots and the 3 bed house with a swimming pool for around 300 dollars a week. Thus we planned that our travelling would end in the Sunny city of Brisbane where we would set up our new Austrlian home. As a result all of our shipping was being sent there and I had applied for Teacher registration from the Queensland College of teachers. We were all ready to get going and settle in. We travelled through Perth, Alice, Adealiade, Melbourne http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/3...b897cc.jpg?v=0(where, of course, I visited Ramsay street –alone lol- and when on the Neighbours night – I met some of the stars and got their autographs ) , Canberra, Sydney and then finally ended up in Brisbane.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/4...7927b7eb_m.jpgImpressed with the beautiful city we spend Australia Day night on the bridge over the river watching the fireworks and the giant bats (who I was convinced were birds for ages). The heat and humidity was hard to bare but we visited the towns that were mentioned on the forums as nice places to live where the breeze came from the sea and were hopeful of finding our dream location and price. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/4...afcd44.jpg?v=0We went to lovely Manly and Wynnum. And although we enjoyed our breakfasts and views from the Irish Pub and the towns seemed nice we were disapointed to not be able to find the beach. We were looking for a city near the sea. Something that is very hard to find in England, perhaps with the exception of Cardiff. The people were very friendly, the cabin we were staying in just outside of Wynumm was lovely and had possums visiting at night (to raid the bin liners but I was soo happy to see them I didn’t care!) We were desperate to find a beach, looking on the street directoty (map of the local area – like our A-Z) we searched for lines of yellow on the edge of the land. We drove as far as Redcliff in search of the lifestyle we had imagined but were twarted at everyturn. The beach in Redcliff was about 1.5 meters wide and my OH being 6”6 wouldn’t have been a very easy place to sunbathe with dry feet! The beautiful city center was not enough to keep us there and we made a decision to return to what we had seen for about 24 hours in Adelaide.

When we had stayed there for the night we had caught the tram down to http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/3...a64250.jpg?v=0Glenelg and watched the sunset into the sea. Cafes and restaurants behind us. We had been to the Central Market where we’d enjoyed the sights and smells of food from all over the world and obsereved the arts and music that was being advertised all over the walls. We’d visited the festival center on the river bank and enjoyed watching the ducks and pedalows go by as we ate lunch. We loved it. Infact, as we pulled up in the tour bus (on our way back from an exciting and exhausting 6 day safari from Alice to Adelaide) we were heard to say “I could live here”. We thought nothing of it at the time. It was only the second city we had visited and we’d just spent the last 6 nights in swags, and underground (CooberPedy) camping… any kind of civilisation had to be good after that! (Cold water in the taps instead of luke warm!!! Exciting!)

A week in Brisbane, not finding what we were after, and we realised that we’d already seen it in Adelaide. So off on a plane we went, we’d have to deal with the shipping later – it hadn’t arrived in the country yet anyway  We stayed in another caravan park and over the course of a week we used realestate.com.au and the local Advertiser newspaper (Wednesday and Saturday are the days when all the rentals are put in) to view several properties. It became blaringly obvious that we weren’t going to get a house by the sea with a pool and near the city and that our expectations were a little too high We also discovered that Fully Furnish means something slightly different in OZ. It means you get everything, cutlery, plates, sheets, towels EVERYTHING. Unfortunatley Fully furnished properties represent only 5% of the market; this mean that there wasn’t much to choose from. However, in a very short time we were lucky enough to find a beautiful 3 http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/4...5de0a4.jpg?v=0bedroom townhouse with the beach just across the road. 20 mins from the city center, 30 mins from the wine regions and 2 secs from the beach! Incidently it’s also 45 min walk along stretches of gold sand to the place where we ate our fish and chips on the wall and watched the sunset on our first visit.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

lancs nurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cas3
Hi Carolyn (Lancs nurse)....i fly to Adelaide tomorrow so i'll let you know how i get on. No doubts at all...looking forward to it. Hardest part of the last few days has been saying goodbye to very good friends. Disaster...can't fit everything in my two suitcases so i have to dash out and buy another one tomorrow am...dread to think how much excess luggage i'll have to pay!!!!!!!
I'll keep you posted..lol Cas
Any news on Cas3? wondering how things were going, be great to hear from you but understandably you will be v busy and may not have net connection yet Hope all is great x
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I thought maybe after eight months back in the UK now might be a good time to update again!

It's weird being back here. It was really hard to make decision like Do we buy a house? Do we get a new car or an old cheap one etc. It was difficult because we didn't/don't know how long we'll be here.

I'm married now (yay!) and the wedding was lovely. The problem is that now we have to start thinking about where we want to be. I have to say that we both really miss Australia. It's not just the weather (which I know us Brits love to talk about - Probably because we get so bloody much of it!) but a whole host of things that didn't even seem that significant when we were considering going out to Australia in the first place.

Work is massively different here and so is the ethic surrounding it. No, I don't mean that all Aussies are lazy or are not commited to their work. In fact I know that is not true and I saw some amazing practice in my area (teaching) whilst I was out in Adelaide. The difference is a cultural one and it's for the better. I am currently in a management role in my school and I am expected to teach over the amount of lessons an ordinary classroom teacher has, on top of that I am trying to keep up with my ordinary life and my responsibilities at work. I am certain that this bizairre, work is so important it must take over everything attitude, is not evident in Aus in the same way. Although people work hard their priority is their family and friends. The aussies I met worked to live rather than lived to work.

So many people are so negative here. No one seems to want to look you in the eye or pass the time of day. People would chat to you in the street and say "hi". I really miss the fact that everyone felt that they could look a stranger in the eye. No one was worried what might happen if they engaged with a human being who hadn't first been screened!

I know for a fact that nothing bad happens as I have continually forced the Aussie greeting on mant a stranger when I've gone for a walk. I make a point of saying hello to everyone I walk past. The interesting thing is the oldies say hi back with a smile ( like they wondered where that had gone) and the kids just look confused and aren't really sure what to do. When did we stop teaching our kids that it was ok to say hello or even how to do it! Mad! I'd do anything for a smile at the checkout and small talk whilst they pack my bags! (I stood at the end of the till waiting for people to pack my bag once or twice before I remembered where i was!! Lol Usually with a prompt of -" Do you need help?" lmao)

Although the media in Oz has annoying adverts every 30 secs ( I exaggerate a little there!) and seems only to be interested in Australia, I think we forget how big Aus is!! lol The BBC here is ridiculously bias and loves to talk about the doom and gloom. They never want to put a positive spin on anything and having walked away and come back i can see it. I couldn't before and that worries me! Those who have never been away from the media's spin for more than a couple of weeks lap it all up and it influences the way they think and feel about things.... When did TV become God?

I've just read this back and it all sounds so negative! (I must have been influenced too!) Don't get me wrong I love England and I found it very easy to settle back in to my routine here; far easier than I did when I first got to OZ. I missed having my friends and family and although it has taken a while to get used to the fact that they are here and in my house and calling me all the time, i know that I would miss them all again if I moved away. But, my dears... that is the only reason I am still here.
I don't think it's a good enough reason.

It has been reported that British children are among the most unhappy in the western world. It is hard to grow up here and as I start to think about family and children Australia has so much appeal. Adelaide keeps calling me. I think I just have to decide if I can deal with the fact that I have to make a decision! I permenant one. Sell the new house I bought only a few months ago and tell my family I'm leaving. That's the hardest bit and I just haven't made up my mind...
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:13 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a brilliant post Mochinbach, I have been wondering how you were getting on back in Brum.

It is a very difficult decision you have ahead of you, you have to do what will make you happy.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide, seems to me your heart is already on it's way back over here
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

I have only just found this thread.

What a great read.

Good luck in desciding whether to stay in UK or move back to Adelaide.

Jill
xxx

Ps: Congratulations on getting married.

Last edited by THORPES; Sep 10th 2008 at 2:11 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Hi Selina

Can empathise with wlth all your worries!! Debs is organising a meet up soon - then we can all convince each other to just go now!!

Helen

PS Debs said the wedding was fab. Glad you had a really nice day!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:04 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Just found this thread. I know exactly how you feel. We were in Perth then came back to the uk and I noticed all the things you mentioned, esp about the media. We had the news on and our then 7 year old said, 'A lot of people get murdered in England, don't they Mummy?'. I do blame the media for hyping it up all the time, true or not.
I also noticed that Australians in general seem to be more patient with kids. It took me ages to stop apologising for them walking along the pavement in front of people! I flew back here alone with them when they were 5,4 and 2 and when we got of the plane at Heathrow I was waiting for the buggy and an English man was behind us tutting because I couldn't get out of his way quickly enough! I was struck by how that had never happened to me in Perth.
I also had an experience in a supermarket here when a woman wanted to get past the girls and just stood there looking at me, huffing. In the end I said, 'My kids aren't deaf or stupid, if you say excuse me they will move.'! I'm not usually aggressive but I was feeling very fed up with the attitude of people.
However, I do love being in the uk nearer my family and with my friends and there's lots I'll miss when we move to Sydney in January.

Good luck with your decision; it's a tough one and telling your family you're going a second time is very hard but I think my family have spent the last 5 years knowing it was going to happen.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Mochinbach for such great posts. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of them but especially your last update one, some of that really has rung true for me, especially having returned from Perth a year ago.

Your bit about saying hello to people really made me laugh. I too still have the habit of saying hello to people and have found, exactly the same as you, that the young'uns have no idea what to say but the oldies are brilliant and always reply which makes my day. I think we have forgotten how to teach our children to communicate in this world of pc's and games.

Again I have noticed the lack of smiles on peoples faces here, maybe they are working far too hard to enjoy life which is probably the case and lets face it, the weather hasn't been good this year has it to entice us out for a BBQ etc!
But even so it would be nice to see some smiles on peoples faces once in a while.

I find myself comparing a lot of things here to Perth and I shouldn't as they are totally different countries, the only comparison is that we speak English the rest is massively different.

I am going back to Perth in 2 weeks to visit my daughter, her husband and my grandson who is now 11 months old so I cant wait to go back and have a Gloria Jeans coffee and cake somewhere and just drink in the sunshine, the sunsets and the beaches.

Keep us updated wont you and hope life is treating you well but untimately its your life and you are the only one that can make it change, its your future no one elses.

Good luck

Plants
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:35 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant post, great contribution. I really enjoyed the read.

karma given....

ps: just a thought, have you ever thought of somewhere in Europe... Could be a compromise...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.