Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Wow how stressful!!!! Family of 5

Wow how stressful!!!! Family of 5

Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default Re: Wow how stressful!!!! Family of 5

Any recommendations on schools NOR? We will be looking at Joondaloop area. Do all schools have catchment areas?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Any recommendations on schools NOR? We will be looking at Joondaloop area. Do all schools have catchment areas?
I am pretty sure that state schools have catchment areas. If you want to go private, then no. how old are your kids? Are you looking at primary or secondary?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fathead
Hiya, glad it's going well, we're looking to do the big move to Perth around July time with two little ens (4 and 6). Where did you set up in the end? The actual logistics of getting a new life set up are worrying me the most!!!

Jon
We are in Baldivis its so daunting as you literally are starting over again but its worth it for the lifestyle.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gunner71
So glad that you have settled OK!

How far away from the beaches are you? Thats a big attraction for us but when we look at rental/property prices it looks like we'll be a long way away!!

Are you getting about by car or local transport?
Beaches are 10-15 mins from Baldivis. The city is half hour on the train. We get around by car, i am lucky enough to be able to walk to do the school run but most things are too far away to walk and i don't think public transport is the best. Depending on where in Baldivis you are it would be possible to cycle to the train station.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
No sorry i know the Duncraig schools are what most people want to get into NOR. Catchment areas will apply to all state schools and they seem to be very strict on them too! Private schools don't have any Catchment areas.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by bibblybobbly
I am pretty sure that state schools have catchment areas. If you want to go private, then no. how old are your kids? Are you looking at primary or secondary?
Hi bibblybobbly

My eldest is 5 so primary. Wouldn't want to live much further north than Joondalup.

How much are private schools?

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by naomilondon
No sorry i know the Duncraig schools are what most people want to get into NOR. Catchment areas will apply to all state schools and they seem to be very strict on them too! Private schools don't have any Catchment areas.
Ok thanks I take it you must be SOR.

My sister lives NOR so would like to be closer to her.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

leapip is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done!! You did it!! I can imagine how hard it must be to STOP comparing prices to GBP , I'm a nightmare when we just go to Spain for a holiday never mind moving to aus! Although I would love to hear more from you about the positives... Oh and how are your neighbours? Are they friendly and welcoming? But honestly! You should be proud of yourself for doing it with such small children...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:03 am
Moving this year !

ochilgal is an unknown quantity at this point

great to hear how you and your family have found the move !

hope im writing something similar this time next year !

i too plan on perth - Port Kennedy aera
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leapip
Well done!! You did it!! I can imagine how hard it must be to STOP comparing prices to GBP , I'm a nightmare when we just go to Spain for a holiday never mind moving to aus! Although I would love to hear more from you about the positives... Oh and how are your neighbours? Are they friendly and welcoming? But honestly! You should be proud of yourself for doing it with such small children...
Thanks! Neighbours we don't really see unfortunately. There is a nice man over the road who bought us some fresh tomatoes and basil from his garden but other than that you don't really see anybody!

There are lots of positives, we have more family time here, (probably as I am staying home with the children instead of working shifts like i did in the UK) We have made some lovely friends too, expats do all seem to warm to each other but the australian mums have been very welcoming too. We seem to be outside all of the time here, most days we are at the park or beaches, that is what we made the move for, didn't want the kids growing up stuck indoors because it's too miserable or cold to go out. The food is a positive too, although more expensive than at home it does seem to taste much better.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ochilgal
great to hear how you and your family have found the move !

hope im writing something similar this time next year !

i too plan on perth - Port Kennedy aera
Port Kennedy area is really nice, we have friends that live there. Baldivis is only about 10-15 mins from there, we chose Baldivis as was that bit closer to the freeway for my husband to get to work. Good luck with your move!!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

leapip is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just looked at baldvis... Looks amazing....
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

theonemranderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post. How long did it take you to move into rented accommodation after arrival? (I'm preparing a budget for our arrival in December). Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

We allowed 4 weeks in fully furnished had keys for our long term let 3 weeks in which was handy as we could get all of the new furniture and white goods delivered before we moved in. We did have Australian referees though which helps i think. With one agent i had put my next of kin details as my father in the UK, they wouldn't accept it as cannot contact overseas! Such a pain! You'll be able to use whoever you rent a short term let from as a reference though. Good luck with the move!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

theonemranderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by naomilondon
We allowed 4 weeks in fully furnished had keys for our long term let 3 weeks in which was handy as we could get all of the new furniture and white goods delivered before we moved in. We did have Australian referees though which helps i think. With one agent i had put my next of kin details as my father in the UK, they wouldn't accept it as cannot contact overseas! Such a pain! You'll be able to use whoever you rent a short term let from as a reference though. Good luck with the move!
Thanks. Hopefully we can get in a bit quicker otherwise we'll be in hotel for Xmas! (we arrive on 8th Dec).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.