Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ragner
We moved to Brisbane 14 months ago and absolutly love it.My job is better here(although less money),the OH is settled with work and the kids have just slipped into the Aussie way of life.We have no intension of moving back to the UK and in our eyes Brisbane is now home.
I think it is just not the place inwhich you live governs how you feel but you also have to merge into the Aussie way and get on with it.It is not a sunnier UK and laws and rules are different.I have read on here how people hate this and hate that and moan this is nothing like the UK,what did they expect Australia is 12k miles from the UK and there is a different culture here.
You do have the normal things which don't change working,paying bills and taxes so the stress might not be much different but just think at weekends you can go to the beaches or bush or mountains (which won't cost much)and the weather is great most of the time.

My advice would be don't think of it (before you get here) as a utopia ...it is not but the life style and living is far far higher and better than in the UK .....IF!! you are prepared to adapt.I was one of these that used to moan about people moving to the UK and not adapting .................i am not a hypocrite so i am not here to change Australia to suit me.

Anyway good luck to you all where ever you live
.....Spot On ! - I could not agree with you more !
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

turkey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bunna_Wabbit
I moved to Brisbane via Melbourne and I've never wanted to leave Brisbane. ....it's true - neither will you !! In fact, there are so many Brits around here you'll all really feel at home ! I could never go back to the UK
Hi, just started Visa process and have been drawn to Melbourne. Not sure why really - weather, hairdressing jobs for wife, close to coast, friends moving to North east Melbourne/Vic etc. Wondered why you left Melbourne to go to Brisbane? What was Melbourne like in your opinion? House prices comparison to Brisbane? Any advice would be great

Thanks - Andy, Julie, + 2 kids
Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice

Originally Posted by turkey
Hi, just started Visa process and have been drawn to Melbourne. Not sure why really - weather, hairdressing jobs for wife, close to coast, friends moving to North east Melbourne/Vic etc. Wondered why you left Melbourne to go to Brisbane? What was Melbourne like in your opinion? House prices comparison to Brisbane? Any advice would be great

Thanks - Andy, Julie, + 2 kids

Hi Andy,

As as someone who has lived (Sandringham) and worked (St.Kilda Rd) in Melbourne for a year before moving to live and work in Brisbane for another two years here is my honest opinion on that: (Please PM me if you need specifics.)

I moved to Melbourne only because I already had a job offer. Like many people, I had never ever been to OZ before moving to Melbourne 'Lock stock and barrel' but I had some pre-conceived ideas that Oz was a place of sun, surf and BBQ's. The day I landed it was October time (Spring) Anyway, I remember my first impressions were that it was a wet and windy day and the city skyline looked a bit dull. As the weeks and months went by I realised it was a big sprawling city with very changeable weather ( the saying four seasons in one day is oh so true) Summer can be very hot but come winter, boy is it cold - usually just a few degrees above zero overnight but the houses are not built anything like the UK ones with double glazing and central heating and so you do feel it more.

Anyway, Brisbane is approx 1000 miles from Melbourne - just think of that for a moment - it is like moving from Manchester to Morocco ! My first visit there to see friends felt like one of my previous trips to Florida or somewhere like that ( I now think of the place as Florida but without the Americans !) For me, being in Melbourne was like being in Manchester and I didn't travel 12000 miles for that ! So now I live in Brissy with my nice consistent weather (winters are superb) and my cool pool. I could never see the point of Pools in Melbourne. Yes, humidity is high for a month or two but the rest of the year the weather is great and my boat gets plenty of use even in July. - I guess it all depends what lifestyle you want - Melbourne has plenty to offer in many ways - but I have seen enough of Manchester to last a lifetime!

Rural Victoria, the Great Ocean Road and Rural New South Wales are all very nice and Sydney is great to visit. Perth is nice too but oh so far from anywhere else on the continent. Brisbane has so much to offer - 1hr flight to Sydney, 2hrs to Melbourne or Cairns. Easy drive to Gold and Sunshine Coasts too plus all their attractions.

I suspect that if I didn’t need to work I would probably like to live even further north like Port Douglas or Cairns but there are some downsides to that which make this area look ideal. (Crocs, Stingers, Cyclones). If you already have a job offer in Melbourne then absolutely go for it - you can always move on. Otherwise, I know my wife thinks that a visit to the hairdressers is not cheap up here and they always seem to need more of them just like most other trades. Property is slightly cheaper here too (but rising).

Interestingly, some other friends of ours have just done exactly the same thing (moved up here after a year or so down there. They are UK Expats too.

- Best of luck to everyone whatever their preference...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bunna_Wabbit

Hi Andy,

As as someone who has lived (Sandringham) and worked (St.Kilda Rd) in Melbourne for a year before moving to live and work in Brisbane for another two years here is my honest opinion on that: (Please PM me if you need specifics.)

I moved to Melbourne only because I already had a job offer. Like many people, I had never ever been to OZ before moving to Melbourne 'Lock stock and barrel' but I had some pre-conceived ideas that Oz was a place of sun, surf and BBQ's. The day I landed it was October time (Spring) Anyway, I remember my first impressions were that it was a wet and windy day and the city skyline looked a bit dull. As the weeks and months went by I realised it was a big sprawling city with very changeable weather ( the saying four seasons in one day is oh so true) Summer can be very hot but come winter, boy is it cold - usually just a few degrees above zero overnight but the houses are not built anything like the UK ones with double glazing and central heating and so you do feel it more.

Anyway, Brisbane is approx 1000 miles from Melbourne - just think of that for a moment - it is like moving from Manchester to Morocco ! My first visit there to see friends felt like one of my previous trips to Florida or somewhere like that ( I now think of the place as Florida but without the Americans !) For me, being in Melbourne was like being in Manchester and I didn't travel 12000 miles for that ! So now I live in Brissy with my nice consistent weather (winters are superb) and my cool pool. I could never see the point of Pools in Melbourne. Yes, humidity is high for a month or two but the rest of the year the weather is great and my boat gets plenty of use even in July. - I guess it all depends what lifestyle you want - Melbourne has plenty to offer in many ways - but I have seen enough of Manchester to last a lifetime!

Rural Victoria, the Great Ocean Road and Rural New South Wales are all very nice and Sydney is great to visit. Perth is nice too but oh so far from anywhere else on the continent. Brisbane has so much to offer - 1hr flight to Sydney, 2hrs to Melbourne or Cairns. Easy drive to Gold and Sunshine Coasts too plus all their attractions.

I suspect that if I didn’t need to work I would probably like to live even further north like Port Douglas or Cairns but there are some downsides to that which make this area look ideal. (Crocs, Stingers, Cyclones). If you already have a job offer in Melbourne then absolutely go for it - you can always move on. Otherwise, I know my wife thinks that a visit to the hairdressers is not cheap up here and they always seem to need more of them just like most other trades. Property is slightly cheaper here too (but rising).

Interestingly, some other friends of ours have just done exactly the same thing (moved up here after a year or so down there. They are UK Expats too.

- Best of luck to everyone whatever their preference...
What a good post, inspiring me as I wait to sell our house in cold and rainy UK
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Hi all I am currently looking to move to Brisbane with my family. Children are 2 8 and 16. We play a lot of water polo and my wife will be looking for a job in child care. I am hoping to get a job as a Paramedic. So this is where we need the help, what area's should we look at? Like every one else we want the 4 bedrooms and the pool, however, i'm not bad at DIY. I would possibly like an area that is up and coming? Do I sound just like every other UK person

Please help

Matt
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
Hi all I am currently looking to move to Brisbane with my family. Children are 2 8 and 16. We play a lot of water polo and my wife will be looking for a job in child care. I am hoping to get a job as a Paramedic. So this is where we need the help, what area's should we look at? Like every one else we want the 4 bedrooms and the pool, however, i'm not bad at DIY. I would possibly like an area that is up and coming? Do I sound just like every other UK person

Please help

Matt
Ho much are you looking to spend on a house? That will probably be your biggest factor aside from where you work.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
Ho much are you looking to spend on a house? That will probably be your biggest factor aside from where you work.
I think around $450
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:50 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I think around $450
That will definitely be the biggest factor on which suburb to go to then. The housing prices here have rose a lot in the past few years.

If you want 4 beds and a pool you won't find that close the CBD. You'll have to look farther out, unless you want to spend more money.

To give you an example, we just bought a house that's 9 years old in Capalaba for $460,000 (Bayside area). The other Bayside suburbs were more expensive so we had to choose if we wanted an older house in the "nicer suburbs" or the house we wanted in a little older neighbourhood.
You may find you'll end up compromising there, whether it's distance to work, the type of house or the suburb. The good thing is you both seem to have jobs where you could find work anywhere in the city. So that will help.

In the bayside are you could choose from Capalaba or Alexandra Hills, the other suburbs are more expensive. As for the rest of the city I don't know the specifics. You could look in Forest Lakes area, or any of the newer suburbs farther out of the city.

I would start looking at the real estate section to get an idea of cost:
http://www.realestate.com.au/

Also, this will give you an idea of where the suburbs are and it has info on each one:
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/

Good luck with the move. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:06 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Please help

Matt
Come down to the Logan/Beaudesert border (until they change the boundaries...). $400K will get you a few acres and a lifestyle that you can't get in the UK for that money, it's as far removed from the 'burbs as it's practical to get here.

Unless a shop within walking distance is important to you, of course.

Might even get a pool too

Cheers,
Matt
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:35 pm
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

It's so nice to hear you are doing well. I just hope that we will all do as well - moving on 22/10 and arriving 5/11. I am struggling with finding 'nice' suitable rental house - any info you have would be gratefully received. Children are going to a school in Sheldon, but we are prepared to travel.

Liz.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

dmelloy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KathyMarie,

I've just started searching on all Brisbane related info, as we are hoping to move to the area sometime this year, via a employer sponsered visa, and have found your post.
Great info, everything sounds fantastic for you! Have you posted any more recent updates?? I'd be interested to hear. Hope you're still doing well.

My husband is a civil engineer, as you say yours is - is there any possibility of a contact through to his employer please? At the moment we are trying for interviews via UK/Aus agencies, and the whole process seems to be going pretty slowly, although we know there is tons of work out there in construction! It is very frustrating. Just wondered whether you could provide any other lead for us?

Thanks -Diane.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

Hi kathymarie

So glad you are liking it here & settling down in your new life I came out from London with my parents & sister in 1971.

Have my own family now & love it here.I went back in 74 for a holiday.

Im sure you will do great hear you have the right attitude

Its a very nice area where you are. And not far to the coast.

Good luck with your New life. So glad you are all loving it
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
Absolutely fantastic...Great to hear a really possitive post.
I hope i settle in and get a job as quick as your OH.

Lee
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
Hi Kathymarie i don't know if you are still posting but i have just read your thread and glad every thing is going well for you, but i wanted to ask you about the bit you said about quote "Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.
We went to Brisbane up by Redcliffe and my husband had to do a theory test and then when he had passed the marks needed had his picture took for the licence is this what you had to do.
If not then i would like to know as yours sounds a lot easier.
Many thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

Hi there all of you including the people who slandered my write up.

I just want to get a few facts right.

1. I did not have to do a theory test for my licence, it is not required anymore.

2. I live in Bridgeman Downs now in a rental that cost me $430 per week. It has 4 bedrooms, the largest master room I have seen with walk in robe, two sinks, bath shower and toliet. It has 3 bathrooms, five rooms downstairs and a family room upstairs.

3. When I said that food was twice the quality, I was actually refering to fresh fruit, vegetables and meat and not tinned food.

4. My children did not get a job in a pub, they were offered jobs with people who were at the pub. My son is decorating for someone and gets paid $120 dollars per day.

5. I have zero rating for two reasons. I have never posted before and as I said, I only posted this time because I thought that it would be helpful to people.

6. I have not advertised anything purposely. I was offering help to genuine people that needed it. Most of my offers of advice were not even posted, I told people to contact me for further information.

I have now been here for 6 weeks and I have yet to find anyhting that I do not like about the place. The reason that I am not on here posting every two minutes is because I have such a fnatastic life and the last thing I want to do is be sat wasting my time reading all of the insults that people have chosen to write.

I hope that anyone who is genuinely interested in further information will post me privtely so I can help in anyway I can without being slated.

I spent three years emmigrating and investigated everything I could. I have sound advice for people wanting it. My family are the most important people in my life and I was scared to death at the thought of moving which is why I spent so much time looking into things and which is why I wrote this thread in the first place.

Kind Regards

Kathy Marie
Well said, the advice is great, for people that want it, that's what this site is about, people helping each other out and giving advice. Don't let them bother you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.