Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Originally Posted by maisey
Hi Birdynumnum
Oh yes indeed but you would never know, it was always around even in my day but now worse.
Funny hubby grew up near Croydon too in Coulsdon and I did my nurse training in Redhill so used to frequent Croydon too. It really is a small world. Have you liked the Aussie lifestyle, may I be nosey and ask why you are coming back?
Take care
Maisey
I grew up inbetween Purley & coulsdon but nearer Coulsdon, how funny.
I'll Pm you re why coming back to save being garroted
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:30 pm
tedeschicat

tedeschicat is an unknown quantity at this point

All I would like to say is good for you... Needs more advice and positive writing on this site. Just validated our visa's june heading to just outside Brisbane... Waiting for house sale!!! Any more advice would be great thank you.
Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there all of you including the people who slandered my write up.

I just want to get a few facts right.

1. I did not have to do a theory test for my licence, it is not required anymore.

2. I live in Bridgeman Downs now in a rental that cost me $430 per week. It has 4 bedrooms, the largest master room I have seen with walk in robe, two sinks, bath shower and toliet. It has 3 bathrooms, five rooms downstairs and a family room upstairs.

3. When I said that food was twice the quality, I was actually refering to fresh fruit, vegetables and meat and not tinned food.

4. My children did not get a job in a pub, they were offered jobs with people who were at the pub. My son is decorating for someone and gets paid $120 dollars per day.

5. I have zero rating for two reasons. I have never posted before and as I said, I only posted this time because I thought that it would be helpful to people.

6. I have not advertised anything purposely. I was offering help to genuine people that needed it. Most of my offers of advice were not even posted, I told people to contact me for further information.

I have now been here for 6 weeks and I have yet to find anyhting that I do not like about the place. The reason that I am not on here posting every two minutes is because I have such a fnatastic life and the last thing I want to do is be sat wasting my time reading all of the insults that people have chosen to write.

I hope that anyone who is genuinely interested in further information will post me privtely so I can help in anyway I can without being slated.

I spent three years emmigrating and investigated everything I could. I have sound advice for people wanting it. My family are the most important people in my life and I was scared to death at the thought of moving which is why I spent so much time looking into things and which is why I wrote this thread in the first place.

Kind Regards

Kathy Marie
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

zukiann is an unknown quantity at this point

hi kathymarie, nice to hear a positive feedback. im moving to brisbane this october and ill be working as a nurse in princess alexandra in woolonggabba. we plan to live or get a rented house in carina or camp hill.. any idea about these suburbs. weve got 3 small kids under 5. ive already inquired about primary catholic school in carina and sounds nice. cant wait to go there. my friends are discouraging me saying about the hot weather and creepy crawlys. but my heart says to go on. no matter what they say... id still go anyway. hope to hear more from you.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
hi kathymarie, i think i need your help.. im moving to brisbane this october o7 ive got a job as a reg.nurse in princess alexandra in wooloongabba. i like to live in camp hill or carina which seeems to be a good area and has quite nice catholic school for my daughter.rent is a bit cheaper as well to compare with ones near to brisbane cbd. any feedback about this suburbs? any idea how far from carina to wooloongabba? if i would need advice about buying a car ill let you know and ill get some tips from you. ive got 3 small girls all under 5 and my eldest is about to start primary this september but they will join me in australia in january for me to get settled with job and orientation period. would my husband get a job? he's a chef here in uk working in a pub. nice to hear that you are settling alright and thanks for the encouragement. people discourage me to go there because of hot weather and creepy crawlies.. any response to that? hoping to hear from you soon.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Hi all, I am just taking the first few tentative steps towards a new life in Brisbane. I think?
I have loads of questions and I hope you can all be patient with me if I show my ignorance.
I have heard that Queensland is having the biggest recruitment drive for 40 years and has a big shortage of trades people. I have also heard that there is a big mining and oil/gas industry in the Brisbane area.
Can anyone confirm this?
I am a plater/welder with oil experience as well as manufacturing experience as a quality technician. What are my chances of getting sponsorship or do I have to risk it and hope to get work when I arrive.
Whats the best area for heavy industry?
What sort of wage can I expect as a welder? and how does that compare with rental/house buying costs and cost of living.
I am thinking of loads more but will leave it there for now. Anyone willing to help out a hungry Geordie?
hi about inquiries about brisbane suburbs and rentals or buying a property and specifications of each suburbs pls go to www.ourbrisbane.com.au that would help you a lot.. it includes all details about suburbs,pictures of properties to rent and buy,maps,schools,entertainment ..everything that you need to know about brisbane queensland. let me know what you think.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Well kathy Marie.. Thanks for your very informative post, dont worry about the negative feedback, they got nowt else better to do... Quick to judge and all that, trying to read between the lines.....

I just take from this website what i need and try and give a bit of advise along the way if i can. And of course have fun, dont see the point in slagging people off...

Think i gave a negative comment once on someone returning to uk.... (well it was precived at negative) i just said try another area of australia if unhappy rather than back to uk, and got slaughtered for it!!

never mind, good post chick... and ta. xx S-j
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Brontep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Happy days,have a great life and hopefully i will be brissie bound next year.
Hi, just registered as found the info very interesting. We were out in Auz in April this year - have been seriously considering migration and now are in the process! Just had our skills assessed and were successful - now just sent in the 47sk form (what a nightmare!). We are hoping we will be out there in the next 9-12 months - and are flying to Brisbane as we have a few contacts there and liked what we saw. My husband is in engineering in the oil industry and will be looking for a job as soon as he gets out there. We are thinking of living maybe in Manly or Wellington Point. We will rent at first as most people do but I am now looking at schools for my 2 daughters. One is 7 and she will need a primary and the other will be ready to join High School in Jan 2009. Any tips? Should I get their names down now or will I still get a place for them once we arrive.

many thanks for any info you can give.

Julie Patterson
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:29 am
Just Joined

tony Beaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Hi Kathymarie and hubby

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you gave on this thread, been here sixweeks now and manged to find a house 4 bed on newpark estate lacey road carseldine 390 p/w sorted medicare out got our driving licences bought a car ( Pineapple st definately the place to go) and got a job with sun corp asa financial planner.

Also got our son Charlie into school at norris road primary, saw the headmaster one day and he started the next

Its been a struggle at times but, the good thing is the info you put on your thread is accurate and it can be done we proved it !

Off to Sandgate and shorncliffe now for a bit of R&R

Once again thank you

regards Tony Beaven
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Removals? Any one shipping house contents out to Oz? Any recommendations would be welcome.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:51 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots in threads about it in the main forum. 20ft container will take a 3bed house for around 3.5K. Companies , crown , pss etc
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

superchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007
Thanks for the poitive post

Good to hear that your children are luvving it already:thumbsup

We are heading out to Brisbane in July and i hope our experience turns out tobe as great as yours sounds.

Can you let me know where you got your cars?
where in Kent are you from? we arrived here from Rochester in May settling ok but have been more home sick than we expected.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

cookie1967 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

This is so lovely to hear. We are hoping to arrive in Brisbane on a 2 year student visa.. i am refreshing my hairdressing and cant wait to get there! we have relatives and friends in the area but want to love as close to the city as money will allow!! i have just found this website but will be here more often than you think..
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superchick
where in Kent are you from? we arrived here from Rochester in May settling ok but have been more home sick than we expected.

Hi there, I'm from nr Maidstone (Bearsted). Are you going to the Brisbane British Club meet up in a couple of weekends time? www.meetup.com Might see you there!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cookie1967
This is so lovely to hear. We are hoping to arrive in Brisbane on a 2 year student visa.. i am refreshing my hairdressing and cant wait to get there! we have relatives and friends in the area but want to love as close to the city as money will allow!! i have just found this website but will be here more often than you think..
Yeh like far out man, love and peace.
Sorry coulldn't help it
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

karen190572 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Hi there,

hi there i really enjoyed reading about your new life in australia, i am in the early stages of looking for places that would suit me and my children . i am a single mum with two great girls one is 11 and the little one is nearly 4. i run my own hairdressing salon here in the uk . i want a better quality of life for me and the girls my email is <Snip> i would love to have a chat with you just to get some ideas about the place you live thanks karen

Last edited by gedge; Aug 7th 2007 at 10:56 pm. Reason: removed email address

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.