Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

kathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nice
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Originally Posted by tony Beaven
Hi Kathymarie

just got in to Brisbane with the family on 3rd June and read your thread, could i possibly ask a couple of questions if i may.

we are currently looking for rental places, how long is carseldine by train to the city as this looks a good area and do you know anything about northgate?

where do you go to sort out the medicare as we also got a 136 visa

regards

Tony
Hi there,

Carseldine is about 14kms outside of brisbane and is a very nice area. There are good facilities in the area and the people here are lovely. I live about 2kms away.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

kathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by somme
Yes please, that would be really helpful, thanks
Pineapple Street just off Zillmere road next to the department of transport is where I got my car. You can go through the week to view vehicles and then go on the day of the auction to buy. There are some cars there that have already been through the auction that you can make an offer on anytime. I bought a car for $18,250 that was 18 months old and when I came to insure it, we had to state $24,000 as it's value otherwise the computer would not accept the quote. My husband also bought a car that was worth $9,000 more than he paid for it.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RachelH
Just noticed your query - if you go to www.qr.com.au you can look at all the timetables which will give you an idea of how long the commute would be into the city from various suburbs.

Hope this helps.

Rachel
Medicare can be sorted out at the CENTER LINK which is in the westfield shopping centre on Gympie Road Chermside, just up the road from Carseldine. You need to be at the furthest end of the complex where the cinema is. It is near the NAB bank.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tony Beaven

YOU STAR!

thanks Rachel we will look into this site, bloody hell so much to do and worries of making sure enough money is coming into the household before the finances drain. I'm sure a lot of you have been there before.

good news is you guys and girls give us the support we need at this crucial stage in the biggest cultural move we will ever do so thanks very much.

kindest regards

Tony & mary Beaven and madeline (3) and charlie(5)
Hi Tony

I can relate to your concerns about the money pot dissapearing!
If you PM me I will give you my home phone number and we can have a chat if you like. I find it is always easier talking to people rather than e-mail messages.

Regards

Mark Dytor (Kathys OH)
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there all of you including the people who slandered my write up.

I just want to get a few facts right.

1. I did not have to do a theory test for my licence, it is not required anymore.

2. I live in Bridgeman Downs now in a rental that cost me $430 per week. It has 4 bedrooms, the largest master room I have seen with walk in robe, two sinks, bath shower and toliet. It has 3 bathrooms, five rooms downstairs and a family room upstairs.

3. When I said that food was twice the quality, I was actually refering to fresh fruit, vegetables and meat and not tinned food.

4. My children did not get a job in a pub, they were offered jobs with people who were at the pub. My son is decorating for someone and gets paid $120 dollars per day.

5. I have zero rating for two reasons. I have never posted before and as I said, I only posted this time because I thought that it would be helpful to people.

6. I have not advertised anything purposely. I was offering help to genuine people that needed it. Most of my offers of advice were not even posted, I told people to contact me for further information.

I have now been here for 6 weeks and I have yet to find anyhting that I do not like about the place. The reason that I am not on here posting every two minutes is because I have such a fnatastic life and the last thing I want to do is be sat wasting my time reading all of the insults that people have chosen to write.

I hope that anyone who is genuinely interested in further information will post me privtely so I can help in anyway I can without being slated.

I spent three years emmigrating and investigated everything I could. I have sound advice for people wanting it. My family are the most important people in my life and I was scared to death at the thought of moving which is why I spent so much time looking into things and which is why I wrote this thread in the first place.

Kind Regards

Kathy Marie
Kathy M,

Good for you sweetie! Don't worry about other's promptness to be slagging in here...often people are overly critical when they are not happy in their own lives. I know I'm cynical the most when I'm feeling down about something..its just drains everything further, so best to try and refrain (although I don't always achieve that).

I'm so happy for you and your family for the fantastic lives you are living..I'm sure your positive outlook and determination makes all the difference.

Your post was very refreshing.

V.

Last edited by Vegemite; Jun 11th 2007 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Apparently its OK to call someone negative when in fact they are suffering from severe and genuine homesickness.

I am therefore removing my original post and you can all moderate the thread yourselves.
Ok.

Last edited by Vegemite; Jun 11th 2007 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

Hi Kathymarie,

What are the schools like in Bridgeman Downs, (state schools not private)?

Thanks
Phyllis
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:35 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think I 'slagged' the post just doubted that it was genuine as there was a blatant plug for some very expensive accomodation from a first time poster. Cynical maybe but I'm extremely happy with my life thanks very much.

Anyway, as I've said before, seems it was genuine after all so good luck to the OP.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Vegemite
Kathy M,

Good for you sweetie! Don't worry about other's promptness to be slagging in here...often people are overly critical when they are not happy in their own lives. I know I'm cynical the most when I'm feeling down about something..its just drains everything further, so best to try and refrain (although I don't always achieve that).

I'm so happy for you and your family for the fantastic lives you are living..I'm sure your positive outlook and determination makes all the difference.

Your post was very refreshing.

V.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Phyllis n Joe
Hi Kathymarie,

What are the schools like in Bridgeman Downs, (state schools not private)?

Thanks
Phyllis
My dughter attends McDowall (state) and it is a lovely school. I asked around when I started looking for a school and I was told that Aspley and McDowall were the best in the area. They do have catchment areas though so you need to live in them to qualify for a place in the school.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:17 am
Just Joined

I would just like to say to everyone who is worried about making the big move to Australia, security in anyone's lives is only there because you have determination to strive for what makes you happy. Money and possesions are only there in the first place because you worked hard to get them. It is the same wherever you live in the world. If we just sat back and let others knock on our doors which never happens anyway, to offer us a fantastic job and lifestyle, then where would we be anyway.

When we started the process to move here, we did so because we were very unhappy with our lives in England. We wanted a better life for our children and risk didn't really come into it. Imagine moving to the other side of the UK, you would still have the same worries such as jobs, schools, family and friends left behind. When I left my family I was quite thrilled at the fact that they could come to such a beautiful country to visit at half the cost if they were to book flights and hotels etc. I saw it as a great opportunity rather than a loss.

I have contact daily with my family in the UK. I use Skype and international phone cards which are very very cheap. Family who have Skype and web cams can see you and it makes things a lot easier all round.

I have one last thing to say......... You will never know if you don't try.

Kathy Marie x
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

My dughter attends McDowall (state) and it is a lovely school. I asked around when I started looking for a school and I was told that Aspley and McDowall were the best in the area. They do have catchment areas though so you need to live in them to qualify for a place in the school.
cheers
Phyllis
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Cindyloo will become famous soon enough

Well Kathy this is just what i wanted to read...your positivity comes over load and clear, along with so much information

I have a daughter who migrated some 18 yrs ago and lives in Albany Creek and loves it, like you she did a lot of research...and with out the help of the internet....i've been lucky enough to visit her a few times.

My Son and his family are also moving to Brisbane in August, and will be staying with her for a while until they find some where to rent.

Hoping to follow when our forms are completed. :curse:

Thank you so much Kathy, your a breath of fresh air.

Good Luck to you and all your Family xx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cindyloo
Well Kathy this is just what i wanted to read...your positivity comes over load and clear, along with so much information

I have a daughter who migrated some 18 yrs ago and lives in Albany Creek and loves it, like you she did a lot of research...and with out the help of the internet....i've been lucky enough to visit her a few times.

My Son and his family are also moving to Brisbane in August, and will be staying with her for a while until they find some where to rent.

Hoping to follow when our forms are completed. :curse:

Thank you so much Kathy, your a breath of fresh air.

Good Luck to you and all your Family xx
Hi Cindyloo
(sorry to hijack Kathymarie) we moved to Albany Creek from Sydney 7 years ago and absolutely love it in this area too (we are now in Cashmere). Since moving here my brother and his family have moved over and also my Mother. I hope it all goes well for your Son and his family and you when you eventually get here!
Good Luck.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would just like to say to everyone who is worried about making the big move to Australia, security in anyone's lives is only there because you have determination to strive for what makes you happy. Money and possesions are only there in the first place because you worked hard to get them. It is the same wherever you live in the world. If we just sat back and let others knock on our doors which never happens anyway, to offer us a fantastic job and lifestyle, then where would we be anyway.

When we started the process to move here, we did so because we were very unhappy with our lives in England. We wanted a better life for our children and risk didn't really come into it. Imagine moving to the other side of the UK, you would still have the same worries such as jobs, schools, family and friends left behind. When I left my family I was quite thrilled at the fact that they could come to such a beautiful country to visit at half the cost if they were to book flights and hotels etc. I saw it as a great opportunity rather than a loss.

I have contact daily with my family in the UK. I use Skype and international phone cards which are very very cheap. Family who have Skype and web cams can see you and it makes things a lot easier all round.

I have one last thing to say......... You will never know if you don't try.

Kathy Marie x
Kathy,

Thats the Spirit! Your cup is obviously half full.

I have enjoyed reading your story.
Thanks,
V.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cindyloo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vegemite
Kathy,

Thats the Spirit! Your cup is obviously half full.

I have enjoyed reading your story.
Thanks,
V.
Thanks gillysm for your wishes,i stayed at Cashmere when we visited 2 yrs ago (daughter was living there at that time) also stayed at Bray Park on previous visit...its so nice all around that area.
Wish i'd found this site when son was filling out his forms,its so helpful and full of advice.
I printed Kathy's story off for them,as i know it will help. Cindyloo x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.