Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old May 3rd 2007, 4:03 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Be interested to know which pubs are employing her kids without them going on the course first.....and thats just for starters!
And why didn't she have to do a driving theory test like the rest of us? Something's not quite right. And how come her post count is 0 when she's obviously posted at least once?

Jane
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
And why didn't she have to do a driving theory test like the rest of us? Something's not quite right. And how come her post count is 0 when she's obviously posted at least once?

Jane
i think it could be a glitch due to the sequence of events with Polly editing the post
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:15 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i think it could be a glitch due to the sequence of events with Polly editing the post
Nope, it was 0 before that. Not that the poster has any control over it, I was just wondering.

Jane
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:18 am

Nope, it was 0 before that. Not that the poster has any control over it, I was just wondering.

Jane
could you read the post before Polly edited it?
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:35 am
Born to be ignored

could you read the post before Polly edited it?
Yep, and one of the other posters must have been to the now omitted website to get the price of the properties on there.

Jane
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:51 am

Yep, and one of the other posters must have been to the now omitted website to get the price of the properties on there.

Jane
welll that puts pay to my theory then
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:31 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - I read it before it was edited and went to the website mentioned.... - and the postcount was 0 before definitely.

Lou
xx

welll that puts pay to my theory then
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

can i just add ,dont you know you now dont have to do a theory test like the rest of you ,some people hey ,just dont check things out before they actually know the facts ,why so much bitching on here,she put in her thoughts and for once it was nice to read that someone actually likes it in oz ,instead of its rubbish, didnt like oz, and im going home.
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Mouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really nice

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
I have to totally disagree with food being double the quality, I don't know where you shopped in the UK, but the supermarket food here is awful. It may say heinz on the tin, or cadburys but the quality is far less superior to the UK. Even the Ozzies I work with who have been to Europe say our food is far superior to theres.

It is nice to see someone who likes everything about Brisbane.

I am also impressed by how quick you have got the internet connected, or perhaps it was already in the house when you moved in!!!!!!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The post count was 0 before I edited it, all I've dne is remove what I consider a blatant plug for the premises - as I'm not sure whether the poster is connected with the place and advertising themselves, it seemed like a good compromise. There was a second needless plug in the middle of the post that I removed too. Nothing I did affected the post count, but I'm interested to say that the poster hasn't returned.........

Last edited by Pollyana; May 31st 2007 at 10:03 am.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:48 am
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by Pollyana

She's right about the driving, theres no theory test in Qld now;
I stand corrected, both articulately and not so.

Jane
Old May 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

kathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nice

Hi there all of you including the people who slandered my write up.

I just want to get a few facts right.

1. I did not have to do a theory test for my licence, it is not required anymore.

2. I live in Bridgeman Downs now in a rental that cost me $430 per week. It has 4 bedrooms, the largest master room I have seen with walk in robe, two sinks, bath shower and toliet. It has 3 bathrooms, five rooms downstairs and a family room upstairs.

3. When I said that food was twice the quality, I was actually refering to fresh fruit, vegetables and meat and not tinned food.

4. My children did not get a job in a pub, they were offered jobs with people who were at the pub. My son is decorating for someone and gets paid $120 dollars per day.

5. I have zero rating for two reasons. I have never posted before and as I said, I only posted this time because I thought that it would be helpful to people.

6. I have not advertised anything purposely. I was offering help to genuine people that needed it. Most of my offers of advice were not even posted, I told people to contact me for further information.

I have now been here for 6 weeks and I have yet to find anyhting that I do not like about the place. The reason that I am not on here posting every two minutes is because I have such a fnatastic life and the last thing I want to do is be sat wasting my time reading all of the insults that people have chosen to write.

I hope that anyone who is genuinely interested in further information will post me privtely so I can help in anyway I can without being slated.

I spent three years emmigrating and investigated everything I could. I have sound advice for people wanting it. My family are the most important people in my life and I was scared to death at the thought of moving which is why I spent so much time looking into things and which is why I wrote this thread in the first place.

Kind Regards

Kathy Marie
Old May 25th 2007, 4:17 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Well bugger me someone posts something positive and all you lot can do is slag her off,don't suppose anyone wants to apologise....thought not.... It's all gone strangely quiet in here...
Old May 25th 2007, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
GLAD U ARE SETTLING IN WELL AND ENJOYING LIFE. But be careful ,homesickness kicks in when u least expect it and please do not paint the place with rose tinted glasses as thier are downfalls and most people reading your post would think the roads are paved with gold. Do not wish to have a go but i have only been here 7 months and have found it hard going at times but worth it in the end
Raven
Old May 25th 2007, 6:43 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Give us a chance!!!! I'll apologise for being such a doubting thomas. Seems the OP may be genuine so good luck to her and glad she loves Oz as much as I do

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Well bugger me someone posts something positive and all you lot can do is slag her off,don't suppose anyone wants to apologise....thought not.... It's all gone strangely quiet in here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.