5 Years this November

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 Years this November

We never thought we would be here this long. The first year was pretty grim. Could'nt find decent work. Schools did not seem equipped to take on two little boys with learning difficulties who had had a difficult start in life. (Both adopted). Could not understand we my partner and I felt so "out of it" and socially isolated. It took a while for the penny to drop.

We did what many do, we decided to stick it out until I got my citizenship. By then things began to improve. I was getting offers of work teaching in Colleges which paid ok and I quite enjoyed. I had some poorly paid part time clinical work. After a lot of letter writing and attending meetings, the educational system accommodated our boys. We made a couple of friends.

Now five years on I have just completed my first year as a manager in the health service. Quite a change and a challenge and not what I had expected. The increase in salary was a great help too. The boys are settled in their school. Teachers and students are fond of them. The eldest goes to High School in January and we have found a place for him that we are all happy with.

We still feel like the "Only Gays in the Village". We live in the heart of (conservative) bible belt country and while we do not encounter any overt discrimination we are'nt on anyone's "A" list - or many peoples "B" list for that matter.

At times the social side of things seems a far cry from the upbeat life of living in London's West End (Marylebone near to Oxford St). Because we were so central we had a steady stream of visitors popping in. Now we live in a suburb - very very different. While the space, the bush, the pool and proximity to beaches suits the kids we know that our needs are on hold. Once they tire of their bikes and spashing around, we will be moving towards city life again - a a time when they will probably appreciate it. Whether it will be Sydney or London is another question. I have stopped trying to predict he future.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:22 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years this November

Hi Ian,

I'm glad that things have improved for you and you've got work that you enjoy. OMG I can't believe that your eldest is starting high school, where does the time go? Do you still see any of the old crew?
Well done for sticking it out!

Say hi to the family for me.

Paulinexx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:37 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thought I remembered your username from ages back (had a flick through your older posts to make sure).

Well done on the 5 years.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Ian, 5 years! I remember reading a couple of previous updates. Well done for keep plugging away & glad your boys are doing well!