Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

We Made It To 2 Years.....

We Made It To 2 Years.....

Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:53 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default We Made It To 2 Years.....

....Well, there's a phrase I never thought I'd hear myself saying 18 months ago.

That's our 2nd year in Melbourne done and dusted and it's been a good one.

We've settled in to our home and made a few improvements to make it "ours". Still got a few to do but we're getting there. Some bods on here seem to have issues with where we've chosen to live but that's OK! I'm living MY life and not there's and I'm really happy here. We've got great friends, from all backgrounds and all nationalities from senior execs to bricklayers and beyond, and from Pakistan to New Zealand and more.

We did what we thought we'd never do recently, and we moved our kids out of the local state school into an independent school and that's proving to have been a great move. The new school is really small and focused on individual learning and we're seeing results already.

Mike continues to work for quite possibly the best employer in the world. He loves his job. He is still working from home and that's working out brilliantly for us as a family as we get lots of time together that most working families don't get. OK, he works a lot of nights, but that's OK. And don't get me started on the commute

We are very lucky in respect to seeing family and friends in the UK. We've been over 3 times as a family (Mike's been 4 times) since we moved and I think that's made a big difference to being able to settle here. Ongoing, we know we'll probably get over at least once a year, and my parents hope to come here once a year, so we're all happy with that. Mike's actually going back at Xmas again, but purely for work - work's Christmas night out at Claridges beckons. Alright for some eh?

Due to spending most of our hols in the UK, we haven't seen as much of Aus beyond Victoria as we'd like. However, we have done lots of little trips around Victoria and I can honestly say it's a beautiful and diverse state and I'm glad to have it as my home (don't ask me to say that if we get too many 47 degree days this summer though!).

So, what does our 3rd year in Australia hold? Well, we're hoping for a quiet year but who knows. I'm hoping to be working sometime soon, but I'm finishing off with the house improvements first. There's still a chance that with work commitments, we will have to move to NSW. No idea if or when that will happen, so we just have to roll with it.

We've had lots of ups and downs on this journey. But we've come through and we are going into this year a very happy family, and that's not a bad place to be
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Made It To 2 Years.....

Brilliant that it's working for you. Not sure I'd want that many trips back but if it's what you guys want and you can do it then that's cool. Happy third year and many many more.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Great update missus. Sounds like you've achieved the balance that works for you and yours. Whereabouts in NSW would you be located if it happened?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:42 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Great update missus. Sounds like you've achieved the balance that works for you and yours. Whereabouts in NSW would you be located if it happened?
Cheers mate.

If we have to move then it will be for Mike to support clients within the Sydney CBD. However, as he'll primarily be working from home with no more than one trip into the city per week (sometimes less) we think we'll take the opportunity to get out of the metro area. We are thinking that no more than 1.5 - 2 hours commute away. Probably north as that opens up QLD to us, but we haven't ruled out going south either. Might meet up for that beer yet.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on 2 years.
I remember you coming over as its around the same time as us. We were 2years the start of July.

Glad its worked out well,

Gems
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Cheers mate.

If we have to move then it will be for Mike to support clients within the Sydney CBD. However, as he'll primarily be working from home with no more than one trip into the city per week (sometimes less) we think we'll take the opportunity to get out of the metro area. We are thinking that no more than 1.5 - 2 hours commute away. Probably north as that opens up QLD to us, but we haven't ruled out going south either. Might meet up for that beer yet.
North definitely seems more popular ... but we like it that way south of Sydney.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:43 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on making the 2 year mark

Lee
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by herrchook
....Well, there's a phrase I never thought I'd hear myself saying 18 months ago.

That's our 2nd year in Melbourne done and dusted and it's been a good one.

We've settled in to our home and made a few improvements to make it "ours". Still got a few to do but we're getting there. Some bods on here seem to have issues with where we've chosen to live but that's OK! I'm living MY life and not there's and I'm really happy here. We've got great friends, from all backgrounds and all nationalities from senior execs to bricklayers and beyond, and from Pakistan to New Zealand and more.

We did what we thought we'd never do recently, and we moved our kids out of the local state school into an independent school and that's proving to have been a great move. The new school is really small and focused on individual learning and we're seeing results already.

Mike continues to work for quite possibly the best employer in the world. He loves his job. He is still working from home and that's working out brilliantly for us as a family as we get lots of time together that most working families don't get. OK, he works a lot of nights, but that's OK. And don't get me started on the commute

We are very lucky in respect to seeing family and friends in the UK. We've been over 3 times as a family (Mike's been 4 times) since we moved and I think that's made a big difference to being able to settle here. Ongoing, we know we'll probably get over at least once a year, and my parents hope to come here once a year, so we're all happy with that. Mike's actually going back at Xmas again, but purely for work - work's Christmas night out at Claridges beckons. Alright for some eh?

Due to spending most of our hols in the UK, we haven't seen as much of Aus beyond Victoria as we'd like. However, we have done lots of little trips around Victoria and I can honestly say it's a beautiful and diverse state and I'm glad to have it as my home (don't ask me to say that if we get too many 47 degree days this summer though!).

So, what does our 3rd year in Australia hold? Well, we're hoping for a quiet year but who knows. I'm hoping to be working sometime soon, but I'm finishing off with the house improvements first. There's still a chance that with work commitments, we will have to move to NSW. No idea if or when that will happen, so we just have to roll with it.

We've had lots of ups and downs on this journey. But we've come through and we are going into this year a very happy family, and that's not a bad place to be
Lovely update. Sounds as if you are settling down within the bounds of reality.

Hope that year 3 brings with everything that you hope for!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update & glad all going well for you
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done, and good luck for the future.

Pete
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Sunny Sydney

thanks everyone
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:39 am
Just Joined

kylie11 will become famous soon enoughkylie11 will become famous soon enough

Congratulatiosn on reaching your two year mark
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:36 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Great stuff, well done.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

how did i miss this one, lovely update gill, i will be looking for my u.k cardbury's chocolate nxt week
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:32 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Margaret3
how did i miss this one, lovely update gill, i will be looking for my u.k cardbury's chocolate nxt week

eeeeeeek Had a moment (actually, quite a dew of them) 2 weeks ago and ate the lot . They were crap - honestly Will make it up to you with some meatballs in Ikea next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.