Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Old May 23rd 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Originally Posted by orange&
Gosh, you're really flexible. My brother's family are refusing to move 1.5 hours up the road and telling him that 'he needs to think about his family, not just himself.' He now has a 1.5 hour car journey twice a day. I find this attitude unbelievable when he is the main breadwinner. My response is that if his OH wants to stay put, she should pull her finger out and get a good job.
Hi gang,

Well we are online at home now so that great news time for this thread to really get going!!!

We have a great home although renting for 6 months near to beach but in rural area 1 hour south east of Melbourne. Work in CBD. Life has been manic but loving it so far. Kids are really happy great schools. Life is hard for the fist months there is no getting over that, hubby has been a star getting our life on track, hope its worth it but if its going ok when the exchange rate is pants we are renting and have no home then lets hope when the sun is out, we have our own home and the exchange rate is better paradise will be found!!!!.

Only joking we are smiling happy and so far no regrets.

Cheryl
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:46 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Hey miss thing!

Glad to hear that you got there OK and you, Garry and the kids are settled! Was thinking of you this morning so came on to have a look, hadn't realised that you had put up an update!

Just think by the time we get there you will be well into it, proper Aussies and all that. Still, it's just a huge relief to have the visa in the pocket so we don't mind the wait. Steve got promoted, so that's an even better situation to be in when we come over. Just finished the first year of my PhD and already beginning to make contacts in Oz for work related ideas.

Do keep in-touch,

Kez x
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hey miss thing!

Glad to hear that you got there OK and you, Garry and the kids are settled! Was thinking of you this morning so came on to have a look, hadn't realised that you had put up an update!

Just think by the time we get there you will be well into it, proper Aussies and all that. Still, it's just a huge relief to have the visa in the pocket so we don't mind the wait. Steve got promoted, so that's an even better situation to be in when we come over. Just finished the first year of my PhD and already beginning to make contacts in Oz for work related ideas.

Do keep in-touch,

Kez x
Hi Kez,

Great to hear from you. Must admit dont come on here so much any more, living the life in Oz takes up full time job!!!!.

We are great, I got a job three weeks after landing so finding decent work was not a problem, Garry will start looking after the kids go back to school after this winter holiday. We are in a rental, still have not sold house in Cornwall so hoping it will sell prior to the end of our rental in November.

A bit of advice is "save now while you can" leaving the financial comfort of military life can be a shock and the initial start up costs basically eat into your "lump sum". Dont think that I am negative at all though because I am loving it here, I love Melbourne so much, the CBD is fantastic and the work environment is great AFL being so so important. We are off to watch "our team" on Friday night at the Telstra dome (Kangaroos). Garry is finding the transition hard but that is "normal" and would have been the case even if we had gone to UK.

I will PM you our contact address and you guys are welcome to stay at any time if you come over in the next couple of years.

keep in touch,

Cheryl and Garry
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi Kez,

Great to hear from you. Must admit dont come on here so much any more, living the life in Oz takes up full time job!!!!.

We are great, I got a job three weeks after landing so finding decent work was not a problem, Garry will start looking after the kids go back to school after this winter holiday. We are in a rental, still have not sold house in Cornwall so hoping it will sell prior to the end of our rental in November.

A bit of advice is "save now while you can" leaving the financial comfort of military life can be a shock and the initial start up costs basically eat into your "lump sum". Dont think that I am negative at all though because I am loving it here, I love Melbourne so much, the CBD is fantastic and the work environment is great AFL being so so important. We are off to watch "our team" on Friday night at the Telstra dome (Kangaroos). Garry is finding the transition hard but that is "normal" and would have been the case even if we had gone to UK.

I will PM you our contact address and you guys are welcome to stay at any time if you come over in the next couple of years.

keep in touch,

Cheryl and Garry
Cheryl

Nice to hear that you are enjoying your new life. We are not just 4.5 months away from our move; interested to hear about the transition for Garry, what if anything is he finding difficult? is there anything I should be doing/thinking about/sorting out now?

Personally, I'm just fed-up with the RAF now and can't wait to jump off the plane!! One other thing.. did you commute your pension or not? we are undecided at the moment

Ciao for now

Craig and Sharon
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Hi Cheryl,

Good to hear that you're having lots of fun. Is the slow house sale in Cornwall linked to the general down-turn there? Depending on what newspaper you read on-line, the economic situation over in the UK does sound a bit gloomy! We've been talking to real estate agents here in Sydney and they're predicting a down-turn in the housing market over here from October onwards. That's very specific - and I'm not sure what they're basing it on - apart from perhaps giving time for the sub-prime vibes to trickle through to Aus and un-nerve the market. Might be worth getting your UK property rented out, and renting out here for a little longer. But who knows? It's all speculation.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Cheryl,

Good to hear that you're having lots of fun. Is the slow house sale in Cornwall linked to the general down-turn there? Depending on what newspaper you read on-line, the economic situation over in the UK does sound a bit gloomy! We've been talking to real estate agents here in Sydney and they're predicting a down-turn in the housing market over here from October onwards. That's very specific - and I'm not sure what they're basing it on - apart from perhaps giving time for the sub-prime vibes to trickle through to Aus and un-nerve the market. Might be worth getting your UK property rented out, and renting out here for a little longer. But who knows? It's all speculation.

Great to hear from you, its lovely that this thread is still alive!!!!!

We are going to an auction on Saturday to hopefully buy the VERY VERY WORST house in the best street. Its falling down (not quite literally) but it will enable us to buy something now that we can develop when we have money!. We want our own house so that we can settle down, being ex army we have lived in "rented "housing for 18 years so we just want our own space. The kids can settle into an area and make friends and we want dogs and in a competitive rental market you would go to the bottom of the que if you had animals.

Anyway wish us luck for Saturday (it has to go cheap as its rather a dump!!!)

Cheryl
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Orange& and gang nice to hear your all doing well, happy and getting there.

Here, loving it, not missing the UK one bit.

I raise a glass to you all. Guts and determination over the years

hugs Lace xx
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
Orange& and gang nice to hear your all doing well, happy and getting there.

Here, loving it, not missing the UK one bit.

I raise a glass to you all. Guts and determination over the years

hugs Lace xx
OMG Lacey how you doing chick??? Lost tel number etc give us your new contact details as you moved!!! (we're still in same place - will be here forever I think)! XXX Miss you chick XXXX
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
OMG Lacey how you doing chick??? Lost tel number etc give us your new contact details as you moved!!! (we're still in same place - will be here forever I think)! XXX Miss you chick XXXX
cant believe you lot are still around!! only popped on for a nosey, so glad I did now!! Bloody ell you lot, some names I have missed over the last year or so! miss this thread on the quiet i think.

Last edited by CathnPaul; Sep 10th 2008 at 11:29 am.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
cant believe you lot are still around!! only popped on for a nosey, so glad I did now!! Bloody ell you lot, some names I have missed over the last year or so! miss this thread on the quiet i think.
haha I only pop in every so often for a nosey too - i should do an update as a) citizens (after a lot of "I just can't be bothered" attitude and b) my brother is moving to Noosa oh and c) my parents are also moving to Noosa! Just a few things I forgot to mention
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Glitterbabe just thinking about you and yours the other day.
I am so glad your family are coming thats fab. I don't come on here too often either I am at work writing this now. I work all the bloody time since I have lived in australia.
hugs Lace xxxx
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Wotcha folks. Nobody had written anything in 2009, so I thought I would. Coming up to our 3 year anniversary of being in Oz soon. Not a citizen yet, but hopefully soon. Anyone loving/hating it over here? I'm somewhere in the middle (still).
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wotcha folks. Nobody had written anything in 2009, so I thought I would. Coming up to our 3 year anniversary of being in Oz soon. Not a citizen yet, but hopefully soon. Anyone loving/hating it over here? I'm somewhere in the middle (still).
Hello great to here from you. We love our life here, we have bought our dream home (needs work! but has a pool and tennis)more than we could have hope for in UK. We have had to work hard at reastablishing our lives, people must realise its hard work!, but we loveit. The best thing is my 10 yr old and 13yr old have a great life. We are here for good. Love the Ozzy's attitude, LOVE LIFE

Cheryl
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:32 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Steve and I are still here (UK), but we are kind of on a countdown. 2010 we head to Adelaide. Our best friends move there 2 weeks today, it's been really hard watching them prepare and I've had to hold back and not make it my own trip!

Anyhoo's still working on the PhD, Steve has started his resettlement and all we can do is hang on and wait.

It seems like soooo many moons ago when we were all stress bunnies on here. Cheryl, glad it's going so amazingly well for you and the family, after all you went through, jezz you guys deserved it.

Orange - 3 years, chuffing nora!

I see Cath on Facebook, looks like she's having a fabtime!

xx
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:26 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gang, lovely to hear from some of you. Well, this last year has been difficult to say the least. I was dragged kicking and screaming to Utah from Adelaide and I have really struggled to adjust this time. Not helped by the fact that the world economy started really going down hill the minute we got on the plane . FINALLY starting to feel a little bit settled here and lo and behold there's rumours of a buy out at Chaz's company so don't know what will happen to us. No jobs for Chaz back in Adelaide, don't have green cards here yet. Bloody hell, how did this all happen to us!!! Hopefully will know if we're staying here in a few weeks time - my poor kids

Lou
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.