Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Update 1 Year + Brisbane

Update 1 Year + Brisbane

Old Aug 26th 2011, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Update 1 Year + Brisbane

Okay so I thought I do an update- been here in Brisbane a year now. So we arrived in July and stayed 2 months in Sydney which was pretty cool – the apartment we had you could see Sydney Harbour bridge we were in Neutral bay great location. We managed the usually sightseeing lark, Zoo, City, Markets, museums, beaches and even Blue Mountains. We also caught up with some expats home on holidays that we had made friends with in the Middle East – funny enough that both these families are moving back here this year – one family to Sydney and other Melbourne.

We always knew we were relocating to Brisbane – so I headed up here end of August to sort accommodation. – A task getting the attention of estate agents. So in the end settled to rent in North Brisbane – because I got an estate agent to listen to me and she showed me several properties within my budget. I had hoped to rent nearer the city but alas this wasn’t to be. To be honest hubby spent most of his time up and down to Sydney until December so it really didn’t matter where we lived. Then he was based in south Brisbane (while he was here)until the office flooded and was relocated to the city.

The children settle in well to school, there are lots of different nationalities here so not much different to what they came from. I am slightly disappointed in the level of schooling here and hope that high school will have more to offer.

I myself found the first few months difficult but have made a few friends have settled in a bit more.

We have had some good fun too, camping with our aussie friends – hope to do more of this. We managed a trip to Perth in the New year and a trip to New Zealand , which was fab – loved the pubs there.

Okay so I had done a lot of research before I came but still feel I’m learning things a year later. All I can say is do your research and be flexible.

Oh we have had a quite a bit of medical experiences – which has all worked out good. Hubby cracked his ribs, broke his nose (not on same occasion) and I recently torn my cornea – all survived the hospital and doctors.

On the wild life front – ran from a snake, had redbacks in garden, had leeches attached themselves to some of the family(walking in rainforest) and hubby got attacked by green ants xmas day – I never knew there was such things as green ants.

So for newbies give yourself some time and positive thinking – things work out if you want them to.

A few negative things but don’t dwell on them – same the world over – government amazingly crap, media – crap also and telephone company (won’t mention names) I hate dealing with them when we have a problem- which has been twice now.

Hope you enjoy
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update 1 Year + Brisbane

We landed in July '10 too. Congratulations on your first year.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Well done and getting on with it and being positive.Hope it all continues to go well for you.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Nice update.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, your hubby sure is accident prone.......congratulations on a whole year in Aus.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:38 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, thanks
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update- the wildlife does take a bit of getting used to!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Great update! Thanks