UK to US to AUS

Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Cool UK to US to AUS

I'm a bit of a long story I suppose. I was medically retired from the police farce in London in 1997, travelled Europe for a year and then accidentally got married to an American in 1998. I moved to Los Angeles and was stuck there for 11 years. After the divorce (hoorah!) I hid out in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia for three years and I can heartily recommend Appalachia as the perfect spot to take time out to get your breath back.

I 2010, I reconnected with Sallyanne, an Australian girl that I first met in England in 1990. Heaven only knows why we never got our act together back then but, well, such is life, I suppose. We are certainly making up for lost time now.

In early 2013 I obtained a 12 month, 626 Tourist Visa which allowed multiple entries into the country. In April 2013 I flew into Brisbane and Sallyanne and I rented a house together. Back in March 2014, we took a four night holiday to Fiji which is another good place for a bit of R & R! On returning to Brisbane, my 12 month Visa was extended until March 2015 which, at 23 months, is awfully good value for a 12 month visa.

At the end of August 2014, Sallyanne and I bought our first house together which was very exciting. We loved living in our street and were lucky enough to have been able to buy the house next door so it wasn't too big a move.

In December, we noticed that they we hiking up the price of an 801/820 Partner Visa on January the 1st so I submitted my application on-line on December 31st. On January the 2nd, I was issued a bridging visa which will kick in in the middle of March when my 626 expires.

To celebrate my return to the real world (the ability to work in Australia) I will be launching my own computer repair business which is very exciting - or, at least, it will be once I get some customers! I founded a successful computer shop in Burbank, California and ran it for quite a few years so it will be good to get back into the IT world again. I suppose...

I have been lurking on BE since 2013 when Sallyanne and I first got back together and it has been a huge help in planning our future. I'm really looking forward to the Brisbane meet up in April as it will be good to put a few faces to [user] names.

And I'm Dave, not Don. just so's you know

Last edited by SoCalDon; Feb 28th 2015 at 12:23 am.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US to AUS

Here's one of the residents of our garden (if it works)

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 28th 2015 at 1:01 am.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

And another

Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Here's one of the residents of our garden (if it works)
http://cscr.com.au/dragon.JPG
Edited to move position and looks okay now

Love the auto-correct from you opening post

I was medically retired from the police farce in London in 1997
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Love the auto-correct from you opening post
Oh, it wasn't an auto-correct... obviously, you never worked for the Met Police through the 80's and 90's

While you're thinking, here's a koala by our creek.

Old Feb 28th 2015, 2:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, it wasn't an auto-correct... obviously, you never worked for the Met Police through the 80's and 90's

While you're thinking, here's a koala by our creek.

http://cscr.com.au/koala.jpg
Had dealings with TVP - they're bad enough (on par with lawyers and politicians in my books)
Old Feb 28th 2015, 5:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Had dealings with TVP - they're bad enough (on par with lawyers and politicians in my books)
Whereas Sussex on the other hand were great......well, the civilian side anyhow

Thats some story SoCalDon, looking forward to meeting you too
Old Feb 28th 2015, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Had dealt with Chad Valley Police a few times and my experiences with them were fine. It's the long-term dealings (or working for them for two decades) where you really see the cracks and have problems.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Whereas Sussex on the other hand were great ...
Thats some story SoCalDon, looking forward to meeting you too
Glad to hear of good experiences of the Police, whatever the location. In fairness, the vast majority of my life in the old bill was great but sometimes it's easier to remember the bad bits or bad people.

Best thing I ever did was retire
Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, not Don.

What a strange name

I was going to come to the Brisbane meet but you just changed my mind.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
What a strange name

Haha. I don't blame you at all, Bix, I have that effect on people.

The 'Don' is because of my football club(s) Wimbledon FC (RIP) and AFC Wimbledon. They've been nicknamed 'The Dons' since 1889 so I was a 'Don' living in SoCal. It all works rather well until people assume that it's my name.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I loved watching the crazy gang upsetting the prima donnas.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear of good experiences of the Police, whatever the location. In fairness, the vast majority of my life in the old bill was great but sometimes it's easier to remember the bad bits or bad people.

Best thing I ever did was retire
Loved most of my time working for them I must admit, I did police checks for Child Access for 10 years, then 3 years in the Fingerprint Bureau. Great times on the whole

Originally Posted by Bix
What a strange name

There was these two lions walking through Brisbane....be good to see you both if you can make it
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

KFD333 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is a brilliant read and not too dissimilar to my own. I decided to leave the seashores of our damp island and after spending a very short while in Sweden found myself in Georgia usa, then just as quickly Denton TX after meeting a girl in New Orleans at mardi gra. Enjoyed the collage town till I got an invite to do some post-riot contracting work alongside the LAPD and the city of Los Angeles, I there then meet and American and accidentally got married.. it was in a drive through in Las Vegas at midnight and so back to LA then on we moved to Tombstone AZ as I wanted a break from working in the “bad Lands”.We fitted into the community I became an honorary law enforcement officer for working alongside them and there upgrade of security including cctv through my previous experience and knowledge. Applied for our 189 visa [permeant res] got it and headed down under Adelaide then Bunbury WA .. this where it all went wrong, the wife did not fit in and became home sick, headed back to the states and I was left to close a little business I had set then up then sell up and head back state side to handle our separation and property in the states .. Heading back in a month or so single and looking to meet up with expats and look for opportunities, acquaintances and friendships and I haven’t even placed a pin in the map yet … what Carindale, QLD regarding the expat community? Any advice or input appreciated, don’t hesitate to pm me if you wish
Thanks for the read K.

I'm a bit of a long story I suppose. I was medically retired from the police farce in London in 1997, travelled Europe for a year and then accidentally got married to an American in 1998. I moved to Los Angeles and was stuck there for 11 years. After the divorce (hoorah!) I hid out in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia for three years and I can heartily recommend Appalachia as the perfect spot to take time out to get your breath back.

I 2010, I reconnected with Sallyanne, an Australian girl that I first met in England in 1990. Heaven only knows why we never got our act together back then but, well, such is life, I suppose. We are certainly making up for lost time now.

In early 2013 I obtained a 12 month, 626 Tourist Visa which allowed multiple entries into the country. In April 2013 I flew into Brisbane and Sallyanne and I rented a house together. Back in March 2014, we took a four night holiday to Fiji which is another good place for a bit of R & R! On returning to Brisbane, my 12 month Visa was extended until March 2015 which, at 23 months, is awfully good value for a 12 month visa.

At the end of August 2014, Sallyanne and I bought our first house together which was very exciting. We loved living in our street and were lucky enough to have been able to buy the house next door so it wasn't too big a move.

In December, we noticed that they we hiking up the price of an 801/820 Partner Visa on January the 1st so I submitted my application on-line on December 31st. On January the 2nd, I was issued a bridging visa which will kick in in the middle of March when my 626 expires.

To celebrate my return to the real world (the ability to work in Australia) I will be launching my own computer repair business which is very exciting - or, at least, it will be once I get some customers! I founded a successful computer shop in Burbank, California and ran it for quite a few years so it will be good to get back into the IT world again. I suppose...

I have been lurking on BE since 2013 when Sallyanne and I first got back together and it has been a huge help in planning our future. I'm really looking forward to the Brisbane meet up in April as it will be good to put a few faces to [user] names.

And I'm Dave, not Don. just so's you know