Three years in Adelaide

Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Three years in Adelaide

So, it's that time of year again: 3 years to the day since we arrived!

Let's start with some photos of the garden, to prove I do actually put the work in when there's no way to escape it.

Pruned half-dead bottlebrush out the front to assist the new growth coming up:

Brutalised bougainvillea to restore side gate access:

Mowed front and rear lawns to give superficial appearance of respectability:

The grapevine is bouncing back now. I'll have more photos soon.

Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Three years in Adelaide

Took these photos yesterday. The grass is drying out, but the vine has come alive!

Bottlebrush is feeling a lot happier now I've trimmed away all the overhanging dead wood:

I transplanted this tree from the flower box. It was little more than a bare 30cm stalk at the time, with a small horizontal twig on the side. After a few months, the twig dropped off! Great to see it flourishing now.

Will post a proper update later.

Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years in Adelaide

Great work Vash! Garden looks very English!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good Vash. Looks like you get fair a bit of rain over there.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 8:05 am
Fighting my corner

Thanks guys, it's been an interesting year.

In May I finally got around to removing the old oil heater from our lounge. We replaced it with an electric heater:

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2012 at 8:07 am.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 8:55 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Three years in Adelaide

From late May to early June I spent two and a half weeks in Sidney, Texas, where I had been invited to lead a weekend church retreat and a series of public Bible study classes. These were all well attended.

The congregation generously paid for my flight, and I was accommodated at the ranch of a local family, who raise beef cattle:

Highlights of the trip included a Texas Rangers baseball game in Arlington, where I shouted helpful advice to the players, such as 'Hit the ball with the stick!'

Sidney has a population of ~400. The closest population centre is Comanche, with population of ~4,000.

Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:11 am
Fighting my corner

Texans are famously hospitable, and always ensure your room is equipped with the essentials. In my case this included five firearms:

I used all of them during my visit, and even managed to kill a snake which was crawling up the driveway:

When a Texan asks 'Would you like a steak?' what he really means is 'Would you like me to cut the ends off a cow, pass it under the grill for 30 seconds, and whack it on a plate?'

In Texas there's no such thing as 'too big.' This is particularly the case with their cars:

My hosts have a tornado shelter, which looks suspiciously like something out of a horror movie:

Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey!

Did you have to check that you were invited to Sidney, not Sydney????
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:34 am
Fighting my corner

Sidney is so small, most people have never heard of it. When I arrived in the USA nobody knew where I was going, and when I returned to Australia nobody knew where I'd come from. Saying 'Sidney' didn't help at all. The Americans couldn't work out why I was trying to visit an Australian city in the USA, while the Australians couldn't figure out how I had come from Sydney via an international flight.

It took some explaining.

Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Love the pics! Would love to build a house like the one you showed with a Queenslander feel!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:52 am
Fighting my corner

In September we spent a weekend at Port Hughes with some friends. It was the first proper break we've had together since we arrived in Australia.

We stayed in a holiday house owned by a member of our friends' extended family. It has a great location, right by the beach!

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:37 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Fab pictures Vash
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:38 am
Fighting my corner

Thank you.

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff Vash

I miss guns
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:56 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The usual high standard post and photographs Vash. Thank you. I spy with my little eye a stebel eletron on your back wall. Excellent!

Good luck to you. You deserve it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.