Three months in ...

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:45 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Smile Three months in ...

Hi Guys,
This is just going to be a quick one as I am in an internet cafe at the mo-still not on b***** line!
Ok ,so we arrived on 4th May from Northumberland.Myself,hubby and 2 kids(3 + 5).I already had a job at the local hospital and started work 4 weeks after the plane landed.
We had hired a relocation agent who had found us a great 3 bedroomed cottage on the Northside of Brisbane in Sandgate-the area we thought we might like to live in.She picked us up from the Airport and showed us around the area.She took us to schools and Kindys and did a couple of house viewings with us too.We paid her $2000 and I think she was worth every cent.
We had spent hours reasearching the area on line but you cant truly tell from so far away.We do ,however love the area and the many hours of research paid off.
Alana is in a lovely small local school and she absolutely loves it.Her teacher has bent over backwards to make us feel welcome.I am starting to meet a few of the mums and had a Birthady party for Alana yesterday and everyone invited came!
Arron is in pre school and,again,seems really happy.He was due to start school full time in the Uk and wont start here until Jan 09,which seems strange.He learns alot at Kindy,though,so I am not too worried.
I am at work and Phil looks after the kids.Work is ok but a little old fashioned compared to the UK.Everyone has been really friendly though.
We came with nothing-we have bought cheap furiture and hired white goods.We shipped the kids toys which arrived 3 weeks after us with no damage at all.
The weather was great in May and then cooled a little-it was cold in the mornings getting up for work!Its now heating up again and the sun really does shine every day!!!We have spent many a day at the beach and the play parks are fab.We found a fantastic free swimming pool called The Lagoon-it has loads of barbie areas and a play park too.
We definatey have a better quality of life here and we seem to have more disposable cash.I have found food shopping a bit more pricey but things like house insurance are cheaper.We found a great rental without too much fuss, although I think it helped that I had a job to come to.
The homesickness can be a killer.It hits you like a ton of bricks without warning.I am close to my family and left loads of friends behind.I have kept really busy though and on the whole I am coping well,so far.I have not yet thought "I want to go home" but we have only been here such a short peroid of time.
All in all-we love it here and are really happy.I speak to my parents every 2 days and my sister and best friend once a week. The kids are thriving.Life here is good for us.
Will update later on when I am online at home.
Hope this helps
Andrea
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice
Default Re: Three months in ...

it all sounds great! Pleased to hear you are getting on well - I may PM you as hubby wants to be close to water so I am considering Sandgate/Shorncliffe type areas myself when we get there next year!

Good to hear a positive story.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi good to hear its all working out well for you and yours. Must agree life does feel good here. All the best for what comes next.

Donna & Neil
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:34 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

I am really pleased things are working out for you and your family, it must be great to see your children fitting in and thriving.
good luick
bec
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:15 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

so pleased things are going well. how do u find nursing over there? is it better or the same?? good luck xxx clare
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:49 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for taking the time to update us all here waiting, it really does give a boost to hear happy stories. Where did you go about getting the relocation agent, sounds good value, wouldn't mind doing that because we too are heading to Brisbane and it would be great to have someone with knowledge of the area to meet us when arrive. Thanks for any advice you can give! Marie
Old Aug 6th 2007, 1:50 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies.
Just another quickie as I am once again,in an internet cafe.
We found our agent through this site.We used Donna from One step move.PM me if you want more details.I know another poster on here runs a relocation business on the gold coast too.??gold coast smile.
I am finding nursing here challenging!I am paeds trained and the difference here is huge.Didnt really expect it.I find things very old fashioned and task orientated compared to my previous work place.I do enjoy it but its really frustrating.I am working hard on gently changing things!!
Good luck all with the waiting-its awful but worth it!
Andy
Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

HI...i remember you leaving for OZ.
Sounds like you have settled really well. Nice to hear the kids have settled too.
The homesickness is painful, but hope you over come it.

All the best for your future