Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Seven years of rural Australia

Seven years of rural Australia

Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Seven years of rural Australia

I wrote an update a few months back and there was a glitch and it disappeared on me before posting but I have just enjoyed another "long timers" update so thought perhaps I'd have another go!

Well as I said, we're rural. Being farmers, that's not too surprising really.

We came in 2006, sponsored RSMS with a three month processing time from start to finish, having never visited Australia before. Bonkers probably but not alone! I'd traveled as a child with my father working in the Middle East so I think it was always a lot easier for me to contemplate. My husband was little more cautious, which is why it was 2006 and not 2001 when I first suggested.

We moved to a small rural community, 3 hours from Adelaide, our property was 50 kms out of town (population around 1200) and managed a large scale horticultural farm, growing fresh produce for the likes of Woolies etc. Our life was extremely busy. The business grew enormously once my husband got his teeth into it. This was great but as one of our largest reasons for leaving the UK, was to spend less time working, it worked against us in the long run. I am not one of those wives that moans about their husbands working long hours, better than a lazy lay about, but I am a wife that enjoys spending time with my husband so I worked with him. Our two sons were only 3 and 5 when we arrived in South Australia so they adapted extremely quickly. We had early starts with the school bus leaving our property at 7.30 am and returning at 4.30 pm - that's a long day when you add in homework and dinner! I'd do 200 kms some days with after school sports and averaged 1000 kms most weeks. Working hard enabled us to buy a beautiful beach house and we run a nice car but getting time to get to the beach house became harder and harder.

Eventually we realised that the business wasn't going to get any smaller/easier/less involved, never would expect that really so instead we chose to move on.

We'd made some lovely friendships and it was a hard decision to leave the area but we'd come to realise that due to the nature of the farming community, if we'd stayed in the area, we'd have always been in the shadow of our former employer. Even when we'd moved inter state we'd get far too much info about what was going on each day!

Anyway through one of our business contacts, which had become a good friend, a work opportunity presented itself. After managing other peoples businesses for twenty years, finally chance to do it for ourselves!! Amazing.

We are now living in the coal seam gas area of Queensland. Having never lived in town, renting in a boom town has been a huge, huge change but not impossible. With the boys now 12 and 11 it's probably been a good time to move. Both boys have played Rep footy (Rugby League) even though only their first seasons. Quite an achievement!! They've also done well with school with our eldest being selected for school captain after only 6 months at the school. The opportunities have been greater for them both with moving to a larger community. They love being able to cycle (or scooter) to school and to have three extra hours a day where they are not sat on a bus is brill too.

We've decided to sell the beach house in South Australia which makes me quite sad (it was one of those magic "we'd never have done this in the UK" moments when we bought it) but realistically there's no point having something like that, that you don't use, and the rent only covers half the mortgage. Instead? I'm not sure but we'd like to buy a house here so hopefully that'll happen soon.

Our business has been well received. We're designing, selling and installing agricultural irrigation equipment so it's not a massive market but with the coal seam gas it's a growing market. Our clients are lovely, many have quickly become great friends and the opportunity is there for us to grow and grow.

But the best bit of all - we have weekends again. So many people always have weekends, you don't realise how precious they are when you don't have them for many, many years.

Quality of life for us is good. We're happy and our children are a delight. We are very proud of the young men they are becoming. Moving country, or even within a country isn't without it's challenges but we've attacked them together and it's made it possible. I've said it before, but you're foolish if you tackle migration to "fix" something - you need to be incredibly strong to deal with everything with either a non-existent or distant support network.

I look forward to the future and our next challenges!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seven years of rural Australia

Originally Posted by jothefw
I wrote an update a few months back and there was a glitch and it disappeared on me before posting but I have just enjoyed another "long timers" update so thought perhaps I'd have another go!

Well as I said, we're rural. Being farmers, that's not too surprising really.

We came in 2006, sponsored RSMS with a three month processing time from start to finish, having never visited Australia before. Bonkers probably but not alone! I'd traveled as a child with my father working in the Middle East so I think it was always a lot easier for me to contemplate. My husband was little more cautious, which is why it was 2006 and not 2001 when I first suggested.

We moved to a small rural community, 3 hours from Adelaide, our property was 50 kms out of town (population around 1200) and managed a large scale horticultural farm, growing fresh produce for the likes of Woolies etc. Our life was extremely busy. The business grew enormously once my husband got his teeth into it. This was great but as one of our largest reasons for leaving the UK, was to spend less time working, it worked against us in the long run. I am not one of those wives that moans about their husbands working long hours, better than a lazy lay about, but I am a wife that enjoys spending time with my husband so I worked with him. Our two sons were only 3 and 5 when we arrived in South Australia so they adapted extremely quickly. We had early starts with the school bus leaving our property at 7.30 am and returning at 4.30 pm - that's a long day when you add in homework and dinner! I'd do 200 kms some days with after school sports and averaged 1000 kms most weeks. Working hard enabled us to buy a beautiful beach house and we run a nice car but getting time to get to the beach house became harder and harder.

Eventually we realised that the business wasn't going to get any smaller/easier/less involved, never would expect that really so instead we chose to move on.

We'd made some lovely friendships and it was a hard decision to leave the area but we'd come to realise that due to the nature of the farming community, if we'd stayed in the area, we'd have always been in the shadow of our former employer. Even when we'd moved inter state we'd get far too much info about what was going on each day!

Anyway through one of our business contacts, which had become a good friend, a work opportunity presented itself. After managing other peoples businesses for twenty years, finally chance to do it for ourselves!! Amazing.

We are now living in the coal seam gas area of Queensland. Having never lived in town, renting in a boom town has been a huge, huge change but not impossible. With the boys now 12 and 11 it's probably been a good time to move. Both boys have played Rep footy (Rugby League) even though only their first seasons. Quite an achievement!! They've also done well with school with our eldest being selected for school captain after only 6 months at the school. The opportunities have been greater for them both with moving to a larger community. They love being able to cycle (or scooter) to school and to have three extra hours a day where they are not sat on a bus is brill too.

We've decided to sell the beach house in South Australia which makes me quite sad (it was one of those magic "we'd never have done this in the UK" moments when we bought it) but realistically there's no point having something like that, that you don't use, and the rent only covers half the mortgage. Instead? I'm not sure but we'd like to buy a house here so hopefully that'll happen soon.

Our business has been well received. We're designing, selling and installing agricultural irrigation equipment so it's not a massive market but with the coal seam gas it's a growing market. Our clients are lovely, many have quickly become great friends and the opportunity is there for us to grow and grow.

But the best bit of all - we have weekends again. So many people always have weekends, you don't realise how precious they are when you don't have them for many, many years.

Quality of life for us is good. We're happy and our children are a delight. We are very proud of the young men they are becoming. Moving country, or even within a country isn't without it's challenges but we've attacked them together and it's made it possible. I've said it before, but you're foolish if you tackle migration to "fix" something - you need to be incredibly strong to deal with everything with either a non-existent or distant support network.

I look forward to the future and our next challenges!
Good update Jo

Hope things continue to go well in QLD
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:39 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update Jo
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

That's great to hear, Jo.

You've never been the average, run-of-the-mill migrant and I've never heard you whinge or moan about anything (despite living in places most people wouldn't last five minutes in ).

You're always see the good side of everything and I've no doubt that your success here is due to your positive attitude.

Hope the next 7 years are even better for you.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Arrrrrr thanks everyone. Nicky - that's what I aim for (no point moaning, make changes instead)

Sorry it waffled on - hadn't realised it was soooo long!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:46 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic update, Jo - I'm glad the big change of moving back to "civilisation" has worked out so well for you and the family.

Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Really enjoyed reading this.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Great to hear your update Jo. As we came to Australia in 2006 with a sponsored RSMS as well (although to outback Qld) I was following your story at the time (my forum name was different back then but couldn't remember the pw anymore )

Glad that all is going so well in Queensland for you now, all the best for the future for your family and business
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Jo, thanks for that. I often think about you because you're one of the very few who haven't done the standard move. So pleased it's worked out so well, although no doubt there have been quite a few ups and downs along the way.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Great reading and insightful from my point of view knowing very little about the farming community in Aus.

One question, have you been here long enough to call yourself a Cockie ?.... I guess that question is irrelevant now that you've sold the farm.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Great reading and insightful from my point of view knowing very little about the farming community in Aus.

One question, have you been here long enough to call yourself a Cockie ?.... I guess that question is irrelevant now that you've sold the farm.
We never owned the farm, didn't have a spare $15 million - managers only.

And no I would never have called ourselves Cockie's - Cockie's are considered smaller scale farmers, think hobby farmer but a bit bigger.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Great update Jo, thanks for that. I often think about you because you're one of the very few who haven't done the standard move. So pleased it's worked out so well, although no doubt there have been quite a few ups and downs along the way.
+10

Originally Posted by jothefw
We never owned the farm, didn't have a spare $15 million - managers only.

And no I would never have called ourselves Cockie's - Cockie's are considered smaller scale farmers, think hobby farmer but a bit bigger.
A great update from the Farmer's (Manager's) Wife!

(I gather there's opportunity out there for managing - it's not as if there are endless bucks in the bank for buying outright! But then look at the debt some farmers sit on - but manage somehow..)
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
That's great to hear, Jo.

You've never been the average, run-of-the-mill migrant and I've never heard you whinge or moan about anything (despite living in places most people wouldn't last five minutes in ).

You're always see the good side of everything and I've no doubt that your success here is due to your positive attitude.

Hope the next 7 years are even better for you.
I've always thought she was pretty special as well. Add me to the list of admirers please
Old Oct 21st 2013, 12:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Seven years of rural Australia

^^ +1