Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Running out of time to decide

Running out of time to decide

Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default Running out of time to decide

So we have been in Australia since April 2011.
Our teenagers are now 16/ 19. We also have a little girl who is 2.5.
We flew home to Scotland last month for the first time in 4.5 years.

We loved seeing family and welcoming our little one to them.
Was a huge eye opener and we decided its time to return....

So we have been given a job offer back in the UK with good money for the area we live in. But we are having doubts, every single day. Its now tearing us apart.
Mainly as our eldest has just landed a job with good money.
Our 16 YR old Aspeergeers son, who is in yr 11 and has started an engineering traineeship will be walking away from al this to return.
However he is the one who is desperate to move back the most...asks everyday. Yet he has a fab set friends, private education and this traineeship.
We need to make a decision and fast.
Welcome any advice ....
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running out of time to decide

Lordy no idea! 16 year old desperate to move back - what's he basing the idea on? If it's simply because he's had a great holiday then maybe not the best idea. Given he was only 10 when you moved out, life living and working won't be a memory for him, it's a massive decision for an Aspy kid (no personal knowledge, just friends). Only you guys know him best. Obviously the little one has no real view, what about the 19 year old, are they keen or not? Do you want the job, is it better than the one you have? Will it be easy for you all to settle back into UK life? Will finding a home cause a headache? So many questions, so little real help, sorry.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Great help truly you are. Aspie kid, sees family and cousins, longer summer nights etc. But he also has such a great opportunity here. He doesnt see it that way. He was promised an apprenticeship with in laws that fell through. ( MUST NOT LISTEN TO IN LAWS AGAIN)
Settle in easily i think so, job well not as good money as here. But hubby has been redunadant 3 times in 2 years here and lives on 6 monthly contracts. Home to rent as no money to buy. We will have nothing left after we return in the way of money. Unless we live with in laws short term. 19 yr old has just landed a job at $39000 a year..bloody good money for her age. soooo torn
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Never go back. Simple rule to live by.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Tell me why?
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We were in a similar position to you, except for the kids bit as we don't have them.

We moved to Australia in 2008 and all was good for a while. Then the downturn kicked in and couldn't get work or any work that was permanent. So, financially it was very tough.

Eventually, we agreed I would apply for work back in the UK and see what happened. Well, within a couple of weeks I had an offer and we moved. That was March last year.

We are now living in Scotland - south of Glasgow and loving it. I earn a fraction of what I did in Australia - about a third - but we are better off and have a lot more time together.

I was worried about my wife settling back as she always liked the hot weather, but even though we have moved to a village that is infamous for snow - we had snow from early November, she adores it.

We didn't do it for family, but, been back and closer to family has been a huge plus that we weren't expecting.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Geoff, that's a 'simple rule' for a reason.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Never go back is probably the wrong term. Moving back to the UK shouldn't be referred to as 'going back'. You've changed, the UK has changed, at least some of your perception has, people around you have changed. You have to think of it as moving forward to something familiar. For some people all those things have changed enough to be 'wrong' and they end up ping ponging. Not easy, especially when you're not unhappy.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Very true words. Thank you. Have just seen a house via skype to rent and have the job offer to reply too by tommorow. Its now or never. both hubby and myself are 50/50 . Our son is desperate to get back, daughter just going with whatever. Heart says stay ...but we know that a chance like this may not come up again x
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you very stormy.
I actually read your post a while ago and remember thinking wow to you selling stuff the day you flow home.
We would be living in Sorn and if i read it right your in Strathaven. Now it very well.
Decision time !!
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Very true words. Thank you. Have just seen a house via skype to rent and have the job offer to reply too by tommorow. Its now or never. both hubby and myself are 50/50 . Our son is desperate to get back, daughter just going with whatever. Heart says stay ...but we know that a chance like this may not come up again x
Do you have Australian Citizenship? Mind you if you don't and you have to make the decision tomorrow, it doesn't really matter.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes we do have Australian citizenship x
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
I think going back to what was once your real home, perhaps childhood home or birth home is different to going back to some place where you once had a temporary home or holiday, and it must depend on how long you've been away. I know that 'Never go back' is a policy some swear by though. There are success stories on this forum from some who have gone back and have no regrets. It's a hard decision to make, especially for those whose teenage children feel settled.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Never go back is probably the wrong term. Moving back to the UK shouldn't be referred to as 'going back'. You've changed, the UK has changed, at least some of your perception has, people around you have changed. You have to think of it as moving forward to something familiar. For some people all those things have changed enough to be 'wrong' and they end up ping ponging. Not easy, especially when you're not unhappy.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

So what did you decide? Either way, I hope you are happy you made the right decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.