Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Second time round........

Second time round........

Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:26 am
Going going.........

Little miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to all
Default Re: Second time round........

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Yes, this is our second time to try and settle in Oz and this time its working.

First time round was in Adelaide and after 9 months went back to England thinking we were homesick..... now we are back after 6 months in the UK and have returned to the Gold Coast.

We arrived on the 2nd June 06 and settled so well knowing what we had left behind in the UK was not homesickness but guilt. OK I do get a bit wobbley every now and again but thats natural I reckon and instead of dwelling on it this time round I have a bit of a cry and then move on and do something to take my mind off it.

Our Kids love it here, Kyle who is 7 now says that we can never go back to England and doenst even want to go there on holiday. My youngest Katie who is 3 in a couple of weeks does not care where we are as long as she has Mum and Dad with her. As for the hubby, he is a motor mechanic and found work quite easily and has settled in to it very well. He was told that he had a bonus called a GBB.... A good bloke bonus.....how cool is that although he was told by the Aussie workers to slow down with his work as he was making the Aussies look bad and to slow.

I have made friends this time round with English and Australians which has helped me. First time round I didnt really make many friends because I was so unhappy and knew I was going back to the UK so did not intigrate myself at all. Thats the only advice i would give really and that is to make friends and if someone offers there friendship to you then take it and go and have a coffee with them.

I will never say never as to moving on again and thats the key to it I think... never say forever because that is a hell of a long time. My way of getting on now is to say for the forseeable future we will be here and who knows in a couple of years time..... Oh and the fact that ping ponging is expensive and would not recommend it at all financially, so if you are unhappy where you are try somewhere else first before losing thousands returning.

Good luck to everyone out there either waiting to go or are here already and I am available for a cuppa if anyone wants one.

LibbyX
Hi Libby
We moved to Perth 2003, made a bit of a mistake mainly because my husband is a motor sport engineer and there isn't many opportunities in that line of work. What drew us to Perth was i had an old school friend living in Kallaroo WA, so i thought i wouldn't be left on my own, thinking my husband would be away working for a motorsport team, that was the first mistake, because meeting up with old school friend did not work out, and the job he was offered never came off, so he ended up working for a Toyota main dealer earning $17.00 per hour(peanuts compared to what he was earning in the UK).
Perth was nice very hot and very isolated, with a poor income so the inevitable happened and we returned back to the UK.:scared:
We've been back home 2 years husband fell back into work easily earning good money, but we still have feelings for Oz and don't feel totally happy in the UK, so we decided that we should give it another go before our visa's ran out, we decided to give the Gold Coast a try (he told me we should of done this in the first place). We went out early Dec 06 for a month and had the time of our lives didn't want to come home, house will be on the market by the end of Jan and we are looking to return as soon as the house has sold.
Another bit of luck is our 21 year old son has agreed to come with us this time as he left Perth after 3 weeks, and we met a great family from Manchester whilst we were in Perth and they have already relocated on the Gold Coast
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little miss reub
Hi Libby
We moved to Perth 2003, made a bit of a mistake mainly because my husband is a motor sport engineer and there isn't many opportunities in that line of work. What drew us to Perth was i had an old school friend living in Kallaroo WA, so i thought i wouldn't be left on my own, thinking my husband would be away working for a motorsport team, that was the first mistake, because meeting up with old school friend did not work out, and the job he was offered never came off, so he ended up working for a Toyota main dealer earning $17.00 per hour(peanuts compared to what he was earning in the UK).
Perth was nice very hot and very isolated, with a poor income so the inevitable happened and we returned back to the UK.:scared:
We've been back home 2 years husband fell back into work easily earning good money, but we still have feelings for Oz and don't feel totally happy in the UK, so we decided that we should give it another go before our visa's ran out, we decided to give the Gold Coast a try (he told me we should of done this in the first place). We went out early Dec 06 for a month and had the time of our lives didn't want to come home, house will be on the market by the end of Jan and we are looking to return as soon as the house has sold.
Another bit of luck is our 21 year old son has agreed to come with us this time as he left Perth after 3 weeks, and we met a great family from Manchester whilst we were in Perth and they have already relocated on the Gold Coast

I really hope it works out for you this time round. The Gold Coast is a nice place to live and there is plenty to do on a weekend.

Good news that your Son has decided to go with you, he must have missed you when you were here first time.

Good luck to you and good on you for trying it again.

LibbyX

Last edited by LIBBY; Jan 14th 2007 at 11:22 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

ARGY is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Second time round........

Thats great to hear, we are heading out in may to the sunshine coast and the homesickness thing is really worrying me already, so thats nice to hear its all working out.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

sarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant future

First time round was in Adelaide and after 9 months went back to England thinking we were homesick..... now we are back after 6 months in the UK and have returned to the Gold Coast.

We arrived on the 2nd June 06 and settled so well knowing what we had left behind in the UK was not homesickness but guilt. OK I do get a bit wobbley every now and again but thats natural I reckon and instead of dwelling on it this time round I have a bit of a cry and then move on and do something to take my mind off it.

Our Kids love it here, Kyle who is 7 now says that we can never go back to England and doenst even want to go there on holiday. My youngest Katie who is 3 in a couple of weeks does not care where we are as long as she has Mum and Dad with her. As for the hubby, he is a motor mechanic and found work quite easily and has settled in to it very well. He was told that he had a bonus called a GBB.... A good bloke bonus.....how cool is that although he was told by the Aussie workers to slow down with his work as he was making the Aussies look bad and to slow.

I have made friends this time round with English and Australians which has helped me. First time round I didnt really make many friends because I was so unhappy and knew I was going back to the UK so did not intigrate myself at all. Thats the only advice i would give really and that is to make friends and if someone offers there friendship to you then take it and go and have a coffee with them.

I will never say never as to moving on again and thats the key to it I think... never say forever because that is a hell of a long time. My way of getting on now is to say for the forseeable future we will be here and who knows in a couple of years time..... Oh and the fact that ping ponging is expensive and would not recommend it at all financially, so if you are unhappy where you are try somewhere else first before losing thousands returning.

Good luck to everyone out there either waiting to go or are here already and I am available for a cuppa if anyone wants one.

LibbyX

Hi we are a family of 5.
This is also going to be our second time around, we was in melbourne in
2004 moved back to uk, hoping to be in brisbane on PR this year.Also going
to make an effort to make friends this time round as i don`t want to feel
isolated. Sara x
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:17 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

LibbyX
Glad to hear that it's working out for you second-time round.

Nicky