Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Second time round........

Second time round........

Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Second time round........

Yes, this is our second time to try and settle in Oz and this time its working.

First time round was in Adelaide and after 9 months went back to England thinking we were homesick..... now we are back after 6 months in the UK and have returned to the Gold Coast.

We arrived on the 2nd June 06 and settled so well knowing what we had left behind in the UK was not homesickness but guilt. OK I do get a bit wobbley every now and again but thats natural I reckon and instead of dwelling on it this time round I have a bit of a cry and then move on and do something to take my mind off it.

Our Kids love it here, Kyle who is 7 now says that we can never go back to England and doenst even want to go there on holiday. My youngest Katie who is 3 in a couple of weeks does not care where we are as long as she has Mum and Dad with her. As for the hubby, he is a motor mechanic and found work quite easily and has settled in to it very well. He was told that he had a bonus called a GBB.... A good bloke bonus.....how cool is that although he was told by the Aussie workers to slow down with his work as he was making the Aussies look bad and to slow.

I have made friends this time round with English and Australians which has helped me. First time round I didnt really make many friends because I was so unhappy and knew I was going back to the UK so did not intigrate myself at all. Thats the only advice i would give really and that is to make friends and if someone offers there friendship to you then take it and go and have a coffee with them.

I will never say never as to moving on again and thats the key to it I think... never say forever because that is a hell of a long time. My way of getting on now is to say for the forseeable future we will be here and who knows in a couple of years time..... Oh and the fact that ping ponging is expensive and would not recommend it at all financially, so if you are unhappy where you are try somewhere else first before losing thousands returning.

Good luck to everyone out there either waiting to go or are here already and I am available for a cuppa if anyone wants one.

LibbyX
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second time round........

Originally Posted by LIBBY

First time round was in Adelaide and after 9 months went back to England thinking we were homesick..... now we are back after 6 months in the UK and have returned to the Gold Coast.

We arrived on the 2nd June 06 and settled so well knowing what we had left behind in the UK was not homesickness but guilt. OK I do get a bit wobbley every now and again but thats natural I reckon and instead of dwelling on it this time round I have a bit of a cry and then move on and do something to take my mind off it.

Our Kids love it here, Kyle who is 7 now says that we can never go back to England and doenst even want to go there on holiday. My youngest Katie who is 3 in a couple of weeks does not care where we are as long as she has Mum and Dad with her. As for the hubby, he is a motor mechanic and found work quite easily and has settled in to it very well. He was told that he had a bonus called a GBB.... A good bloke bonus.....how cool is that although he was told by the Aussie workers to slow down with his work as he was making the Aussies look bad and to slow.

I have made friends this time round with English and Australians which has helped me. First time round I didnt really make many friends because I was so unhappy and knew I was going back to the UK so did not intigrate myself at all. Thats the only advice i would give really and that is to make friends and if someone offers there friendship to you then take it and go and have a coffee with them.

I will never say never as to moving on again and thats the key to it I think... never say forever because that is a hell of a long time. My way of getting on now is to say for the forseeable future we will be here and who knows in a couple of years time..... Oh and the fact that ping ponging is expensive and would not recommend it at all financially, so if you are unhappy where you are try somewhere else first before losing thousands returning.

Good luck to everyone out there either waiting to go or are here already and I am available for a cuppa if anyone wants one.

LibbyX
good on you for giving it another go. I hope it all works out for you this time.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:16 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

LibbyX
what a nice post libby. i have seen plenty of posts about people wanting to return back to the UK, and although i have said it in fustration a few times whilst a bout of homesickness has hit me, i dont think i would (but, like you say, never say never). i wonder about those that are making plans to go back, or have gone back, how many return back to Oz?

thanks for posting it, and it sounds like you are enjoying your new life, albeit a 2nd time around.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you You sound quite happy and I hope it stays that way
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:25 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

LibbyX
oh my!!!! we have come back to UK but are thinking of trying gold coast IF we try again a second time! your thread has really given me food for thought! good luck

j x
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:39 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
oh my!!!! we have come back to UK but are thinking of trying gold coast IF we try again a second time! your thread has really given me food for thought! good luck

j x
I thought you tried the Gold Coast the first time round and were now thinking of Melbourne??? Has Melbourne been dropped?

Gina
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:55 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

we went to sunshine coast mate. tbh we cant bloody well decide what to do/where to go|!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post
great that you are now settled and happy!
we're heading out your way this august/september and can't wait
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Really pleased to hear that you have settled this time and also some good advice given.
Thanks
Lynne
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi Libby, a great read. Good for you and yours for giving it another chance. It obviously took courage and determination to put yourselves and kids through that again. So glad it is feeling right for you all. Best of luck for your future.

Donna & Neil
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all of you.... you really are a great bunch of people and good luck to all of you that are here or on the journey to get here.

LibbyX
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. Glad that you have given it another go and that its working out this time. I hope it continues.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:48 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking as someone who is about to ping the relatively short distance across the Tasmin I can confirm that it is very expensive.

Great post, lovely to read of yet another success story in the Brisbane region
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:25 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Speaking as someone who is about to ping the relatively short distance across the Tasmin I can confirm that it is very expensive.

Great post, lovely to read of yet another success story in the Brisbane region
Hi Libby,
Glad you have found happiness the second time around. I read your ups and downs in the return to UK forum and it's nice to hear that you have finally found what you were looking for (for now!)(wink)
J x
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Second time round........

LibbyX
Great to hear your second time round is working out! Take care and keep enjoying your new life.

Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.