Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Bix, you saucy minx

I knew you had returned Hiddenpaw but wasn't sure why, I also didn't realise you were thinking about heading back. Where are you heading to?

It's took us 2 years financially to get back to some sort normality, it's expensive shipping things backward and forward isn't it? I am tempted to say bugger it and leave it all and start afresh though. If the daughter doesn't want to come we need to think about setting her up somewhere so alot of the stuff can be given to her I suppose.

Anyway, that make three? Anymore out there who are ping-ponging?
We would only go back to Melbourne. We are just in the process of trying to sort some things out (work) and get moving.

It took us a long time to reach this decision, but boy, does it feel good. I just feel like we can move forwards instead of never planning anything (big holidays, home improvements, etc). Unfortunately, since nothing is definate and it could all fall apart in the next couple of weeks I could be setting myself up for a big fall! However, we have made choices over the last 3 years and we have also ruled out certain options that would otherwise enable us to leave NOW, so if it doesn't happen, it's our own doing.

It's good to talk to people in the same boat - most of the people on MBTTUK all have citizenship so can come and go as they please. I don't think I've come across many of us who have visa expiry deadlines looming.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theyoungs
But despite all this, the Oz thing just doesn't go away and it just seems to slowly eat away at you from inside.

We have talked about nothing else since returning but I am scared stiff of making the same mistake again.

One day I am all set for going, the next day the doubt starts to creep in.
Been thru all of this!! We've been back over twice as long as we were in Oz yet it still is a massive part of our life.

I've rejoined that rollercoaster of should we/shouldn't we, but now seems the best time for us to go for it - children are pre-school-age, and we figure even if we only stayed 3 years, we'd still under 40 by the time we got back, and eldest would be 6 so we wouldn't be interrupting her schooling. And if after 3 years we love it and don't want to come back then so much the better!!

Must be a lot harder when you have older children to consider? My biggest worry is my daughter losing her very close bond with her grandparents. How about your kids?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:49 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this thread and wanted to say good luck to you all.
Reading your experiences has worried me a bit as I am a person who can feel unsettled quite easily.
I am going to Melbourne at the end of this year but I can see me wanting to come home after two years then back again after another few. This is my husbands biggest worry too as he knows what I'm like.
I hope the move back is a good one for you all.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Thank you for the warm welcome to the site. It feels great to be able to correspond with people who are in a similar position instead of just going round in circles with the OH.

I think if we were to return we would go back to South purely because of family connections. However, we did visit the GC and SC and I really loved the SC. It was everything I imagined Australia to be.

A cousin of mine has recently returned to Oz after approx 25 years of being here. He says it's the best thing he has done and he wishes he had done it sooner. His parents are over in Oz and he has no dependants, so he only has himself to think about but saying that I never thought he would return. He came back to the UK anti-Oz all those years ago, while he was there he had the British Bulldog tattooed on his arm and he was incredibly patriotic towards his homeland. When he came back he swore that he would never set foot on ozzy soil again!!! Never say never as they say. Thankfully, he had citizenship so he was able to return easily.

My eldest son is the biggest worry. He didn't really settle although saying that, I really believe that he was feeding off my negativity.

I started off incredibly strong and full of optimism. He would come home saying that he had nobody to play with and he was missing all his friends. I went to see his form teacher who told me that the children were asking him to join in but he would say "no thank you" and walk away. I tried to encourage him but as the weeks went by I think my outlook slowly deteriorated and I truly believe he picked up on this and then we were both on the slippery slope!!

He says that he likes Australia but he would rather stay here. He will be 10 this July.

My parents are nearby and we see them on a weekly basis, my in-laws own a hotel in Blackpool so, as you can, appreciate they love going to the Nanny at the seaside. However, saying that they are due to retire soon and will be moving away from Blackpool. We are close to our parents but do not live in each other's pockets.

I went to see a clairvoyant the other day and she just blew me away. She was absolutely, gob smackingly accurate. My lips remained sealed, however, she told me that we shouldn't be in this country, she then went on to say that we should be in Australia and that we had looked at Canada first (which was true)!!!!!!!!

She then went on to say that I had two boys and that one would find it a little difficult to settle at first but the other one would be fine!!!!!!

Other things she said were mind blowing so here I am thinking well maybe it is my destiny to be in Oz and what I am feeling deep down are my true feelings and we should return?

So that's confused me even more.

Also, we have tried to make three house purchases since we have been back and they keep going wrong through no fault of our own. I have said I reckon it is divine intervention and we are not meant to settle here.

Have any of you sought guidance of this nature?

I'm sure I'll look back on this period and laugh about it one day, if we ever get settled that is!

Michelle
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:05 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Been thru all of this!! We've been back over twice as long as we were in Oz yet it still is a massive part of our life.

I've rejoined that rollercoaster of should we/shouldn't we, but now seems the best time for us to go for it - children are pre-school-age, and we figure even if we only stayed 3 years, we'd still under 40 by the time we got back, and eldest would be 6 so we wouldn't be interrupting her schooling. And if after 3 years we love it and don't want to come back then so much the better!!

Must be a lot harder when you have older children to consider? My biggest worry is my daughter losing her very close bond with her grandparents. How about your kids?
my children wont really miss their grandparents i dont think but im worried the eldest two (11 and 6) will miss their school friends. they both have very good friends at school and that will hurt. im contantly tormenting myself over this to be honest.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:07 pm

Rooksie, that's exactly how I feel!!!!!

I look at people and think, I wish my life was normal and I was content with what I've got and where I am at but instead I have this, virtually daily battle with myself, WHAT AM I DOING!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I have known for a long time that at least we are not alone and there are other families out there who are going through exactly the same daily torment as us!!!!

I think deep down that we too may become ping pongers!!

We also have until Jan 2009 (beginning of).

Michelle
Oooo just noticed youre in the blackcountry!! my dad is stourbridge born and bred
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, my dad was born in Stourbridge too. God this is such a small world. In fact so did his grandparents and their parents etc etc.

To go or not to go, that is the question?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

There is something strange goin' on here Some strange force
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Hey, my dad was born in Stourbridge too. God this is such a small world. In fact so did his grandparents and their parents etc etc.

To go or not to go, that is the question?

Blimey!!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Who was that clairvoyant? I wanna know now!!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

How frightening is this!!!!

I was born in Stourbridge and grown up and live in Cradley which is approx. 2 miles from Stourbridge, how bizarre!! You're dad's must be the salt of the earth. Most blackcountry folk are down to earth and good hearted people and a spade's a spade!

I know exactly what you mean about tormenting yourselves over your children. Like you, I beat myself up inside and tie myself in knots thinking would I be doing the right thing by going or is it best to stay? Oh decisions, decisions.

The clairvoyant was recommended by a lady at our head office, which is based in Southport. So, needless to say, so is the clairvoyant. The lady at our head office has seen her twice over a two year period. She hasn't gone into too much detail but she has confirmed that things that she has said have happened.

I booked an appointment and paid for my mother in law to go to as a birthday present!!!! different at least

I have seen a number of clairvoyants in my time but, oh boy, I really think she is the real deal.

She basically starts from your childhood and goes through to present day and then she focused on the next 18 months for me.

Her description of my childhood was frightening, she went on to tell me that I had two boys and she even went on to describe my husband!!!! physically!!! and no he wasn't with me when I went. She told me how tall he is exactly, the colour of his hair, his body stature, his lovely eyes, it was truly astonishing.

She told me about my relationship with my sister and then she hit on Australia. My lips had remained totally sealed throughout the reading. She said to me that if we decide to go that this would the best option and that the first 6-9 months would be absolutely horrendous and I will be thinking what the hell have we done but come 2009 it will the best year of my life and I will have no regrets. She said that one of my children would find it difficult to settle at first but the other would be absolutely fine.

She comes highly recommended and does have a hefty waiting list. The weekend I went to see her we were going up to see my mother in law as it was her birthday and by sheer luck she had a cancellation so was able to fit us in. I truly believe that I was meant to see her that day.

I have had a friend contact her since and she is fully booked until the end of March for Saturday readings so he has left his name in case a cancellation becomes available.

She tapes the reading so you are able to take it away with you and listen intently again. I have listened to it and played it to my parents and they too are shocked by her accuracy.

When I telephoned to book the appointment the only information I left was my first name ie. Michelle, I left no other information and I didn't even tell them where I was coming from in the UK.

If you want her details and fancy a trip up to Southport I will gladly pass on the information to you.

Another friend of mine from our head office is going to see her tonight actually and I can't wait to hear what she has to say to him.

Whereabouts do you two live now? And are your parents' still in the Stourbridge area?

Michelle
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:49 pm

I am in torquay and my parents have followed!!!! my dads side of the family are all still in stourbridge though - millions of them!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

My cousin, the one who has just returned to Oz, has lived in Torquay for the last 8-10 years!!!

This is truly weird.

I thought you had made your mind up and was going to take the plunge and return?

Michelle
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:53 pm

My cousin, the one who has just returned to Oz, has lived in Torquay for the last 8-10 years!!!

This is truly weird.

I thought you had made your mind up and was going to take the plunge and return?

Michelle
bloody hell!!!!!!

yeah, its pretty much decided we are going to go for it. doesnt make it any easier to come to terms with though - im still all over the place

what about you???
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

We talk about it all the time but at the moment I am finding it difficult to commit 100% even though deep down I feel it is possibly the right thing to do.

To be honest I am scared more this time than I was the first time round, purely because the first time I was really excited and optimistic but after our previous experience I keep thinking what if I feel the same again.

Plus we don't have alot financially so I know it is going to be really hard. My husband now has the best job he has ever had and I am fortunate enough to work alongside him.

I really wouldn't wish this scenario on my worst enemy.

Will you be returning to the SC?

Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.