Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Sad to say. We never did make it to Aus!

Sad to say. We never did make it to Aus!

Old Feb 26th 2015, 4:23 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad to say. We never did make it to Aus!

Don't think of not being able to make the move as a negative; focus on what you have now and build on that. you have obviously had good times in Australia, so just remember them as that - good times.
I have dreamed of living in aus since I was about 13 (im 47 now) and since the late 90s when id had kids have tried to make the move ... several years ago I finally gave up trying to make that dream a reality when I realised that my then partner who said he wanted to move too actually had no intention of moving, and that life now ive dumped him is actually pretty good - I don't need Australia to make me happy, what I need is to be healthy, have healthy happy kids and have caring, loving people around me.
I should have made the move when I had the opportunity when I was young and single but life got in the way, I was too busy having a good time!!
but life really isn't so bad and you have to live for the here and now, not what might/could have been ...

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Feb 26th 2015 at 4:25 am.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

welshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sad to say. We never did make it to Aus!

We first visited in 1986 when my sister and brother-in-law moved out. Thought about migrating then but had both just got promotion back in the UK and would have had to start all over again and as teachers do country service. Kids at a crucial time in schooling also. We left it until we retired in 2006, less to weigh up. We built a house but unfortunately never was a home, lasted four years and then came back. However we holiday there at least every two years for 4-6 weeks so have the best of both worlds. There is always time in the future ......
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Emmalyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Sad to say. We never did make it to Aus!

Originally Posted by juckky
After 4 years and 10 months of dreaming about emmigrating to Aus, the reality of it not happening has dawned on me. The following factors

1. Well paid job in London earning more £ than I would earn $
2. Wife and Daughter madly into horse riding. Daughter has a pony
3. Schooling worries of 13 year old who is in grammar
4. Not enough savings to feel comfortable going without a job lined up

I know the above are no excuse to not having given it a shot, and believe you me, I would be gone tomorrow if it was just me, but the other 2 people in my life don't share the dream.

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. Not sure where the last 5 years have gone, since I checked the online application in April 2010 to find out my Class 175 PR had been granted. I went back to Perth in Jan 2014 for a 3 week windsurfing trip. The memories are still very fresh.

Gutted. But hey ho

Having your dream not granted is just like a story untold. As what they say if someone really wants it they will find ways but if they will let the circumstances get in the way then there will be a lot of excuses just to have that dream go away. Why not discuss to them what you want and agree on whats best. Take a look on a bigger picture and not just the picture where you are right now. Life is not forever so live the life that you want IF YOU CAN.