Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Quickie six month update!

Quickie six month update!

Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quickie six month update!

Update - it looks like it is going through, I wont go into why/how as I am frazzled but I would like to ask one quick question.

We have to give 3 weeks notice on our tenancy which expires on 6th October and then it can be ongoing afterwards.

I am sure they will let us stay till 15th or 16th but what I am worried about is what happens if the buyer suddenly pulls out just before settlement? That will leave us homeless?

Oh my god, this is stressful.

And I made the huge mistake of doing searches on termites on this site. My friend at work, her Dad does the termite inspections for loads of our colleagues who are buying (mates rates), so that will happen a week before settlement.

We had a thorough and I mean thorough structural survey done on Monday, seriously detailed complete with photos. A few of our lads who are going to be buying their second properties want his number as they were impressed with his report.

Now is there any way a surveyor could have spotted termite damage or is it just the pest control guy?

Oh god, I hope she doesnt back out, I dont know what we will do.

Anyone with any knowledge on this if they could help me, gets an invite to the housewarming.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

why do you even need a broker?

we arranged our own mortgage both times with ANZ... OK maybe a lot more research and I could have got a lower rate or whatever, but we were happy with what we got and it was all pretty easy - just make sure you use a branch rather than ringing head office in Melbourne as they dont talk to each other!!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
why do you even need a broker?

we arranged our own mortgage both times with ANZ... OK maybe a lot more research and I could have got a lower rate or whatever, but we were happy with what we got and it was all pretty easy - just make sure you use a branch rather than ringing head office in Melbourne as they dont talk to each other!!!!!
Its all gone through now, ANZ said they couldnt fit me in to see the broker till the beginning of October.

We just have the termite inspection to sort now and we settle on 15th October.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

how strange, we did all ours over the phone / email...
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by bridie
how strange, we did all ours over the phone / email...
Nope, the ANZ woman wanted to see me in person and couldnt fit me in.

So the broker went with ANZ and it was all done in a week - well just under actually.

Ive got to cancel the appointment with her now.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read your update, bloody hell you had me going for a minute, going home? What the bloody hell happened? Then I carried on reading and it's all good

I am really chuffed for you gal. Don't worry the cat will be fine, we moved last weekend and our cat loved it from the first day, she settle right in.

Wooo hooo, PP is moving! Stress, wot stress?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Just read your update, bloody hell you had me going for a minute, going home? What the bloody hell happened? Then I carried on reading and it's all good

I am really chuffed for you gal. Don't worry the cat will be fine, we moved last weekend and our cat loved it from the first day, she settle right in.

Wooo hooo, PP is moving! Stress, wot stress?
The offer should go unconditional this week.

I am off work today with a bloody temperature of 38 degrees that wont go down despite how much I drink or what paracetomol I take. My glands/neck is huge and I am aching all over.

I hope its better tomorrow as I have to go into work and get stuff done.

It is inconvenient being ill at this moment, the slightest thing makes me tired and to think we are moving soon all being well.

We have to give 3 weeks notice on our rental, Im scared she will back out and we will be homeless.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Update - it looks like it is going through, I wont go into why/how as I am frazzled but I would like to ask one quick question.

We have to give 3 weeks notice on our tenancy which expires on 6th October and then it can be ongoing afterwards.

I am sure they will let us stay till 15th or 16th but what I am worried about is what happens if the buyer suddenly pulls out just before settlement? That will leave us homeless?

Oh my god, this is stressful.

And I made the huge mistake of doing searches on termites on this site. My friend at work, her Dad does the termite inspections for loads of our colleagues who are buying (mates rates), so that will happen a week before settlement.

We had a thorough and I mean thorough structural survey done on Monday, seriously detailed complete with photos. A few of our lads who are going to be buying their second properties want his number as they were impressed with his report.

Now is there any way a surveyor could have spotted termite damage or is it just the pest control guy?

Oh god, I hope she doesnt back out, I dont know what we will do.

Anyone with any knowledge on this if they could help me, gets an invite to the housewarming.
sorry pp i think only the bug guy can tell you if the house is ok regarding termites - it is stressful but so worth it when you have your own home again - i was lucky that i was able to get in to the house 2 weeks before final settlement so i knew seller was not backing out of sale -

it was great when my settlement agent phoned and said "its all done congratulations you own the house now its yours "

love tiff
ps hope you feel better soon mr h had what you have last week

- he felt very ill- told him its because hes body is adjusting to be over 30 now it will get better in a few years now i am over 35 i never get any of the illness that the kids bring home - mr h seems to get them all the time now
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
sorry pp i think only the bug guy can tell you if the house is ok regarding termites - it is stressful but so worth it when you have your own home again - i was lucky that i was able to get in to the house 2 weeks before final settlement so i knew seller was not backing out of sale -

it was great when my settlement agent phoned and said "its all done congratulations you own the house now its yours "

love tiff
ps hope you feel better soon mr h had what you have last week

- he felt very ill- told him its because hes body is adjusting to be over 30 now it will get better in a few years now i am over 35 i never get any of the illness that the kids bring home - mr h seems to get them all the time now
Mr PP is making me beans on toast - my legs are so wobbly. I love it when I have taken some panadol and can feel my temperature going down. It was so high last night I was seeing things
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr PP is making me beans on toast - my legs are so wobbly. I love it when I have taken some panadol and can feel my temperature going down. It was so high last night I was seeing things
mr h just crashed had sweat running down his face but said he was cold - he was much better the next day

sending you love xx
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
mr h just crashed had sweat running down his face but said he was cold - he was much better the next day

sending you love xx
I cant believe how much a high temperature can affect you, it hurts so much
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:06 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Normally it's the pest control guy who looks out for signs of termites however our building inspection guy also pointed out a few things for the pest contoller to look at and give his opinion - so in essence they worked together.

To be honest termite inspection is a load of crap. If you read the terms and conditions they generally state that unless the inspector has been able to open up walls or access inaccesible areas, then they can never be 100% sure there are no termites - so if termites happen to be there then the inspectors abscond responsibility. So if you find them after, it could be that they were there all along and not spotted so the pest inspector isn't sue-able

At the end of the day - it's all common practice PP so don't worry. And good luck with the house. Your dad must be sooo proud

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Sep 19th 2008 at 4:39 am. Reason: pished as a fart ....hope it makes sense :embarrased:
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Normally it's the pest control guy who looks out for signs of termites however our building inspection guy also pointed out a few things for the pest contoller to look at and give his opinion - so in essence they worked together.

To be honest termite inspection is a load of crap. If you read the terms and conditions they generally state that unless the inspector has been able to open up walls or access inaccesible areas, then they can never be 100% sure there are no termites - so if termites happen to be there then the inspectors abscond responsibility. So if you find them after, it could be that they were there all along and not spotted so the pest inspector isn't sue-able

At the end of the day - it's all common practice PP so don't worry. And good luck with the house. Your dad must be sooo proud

We are just waiting for the finance to go through now, the bank have all the paperwork and we should hear any day now.

I cant wait for it to be over, its the being in limbo that I cant stand.

We asked the owner if she wanted to sell her garden table and chairs but she is taking it with her, it is an expensive table and chairs so I guess it will be back to the quokka.

Im having termite nightmares.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:57 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

We are just waiting for the finance to go through now, the bank have all the paperwork and we should hear any day now.

I cant wait for it to be over, its the being in limbo that I cant stand.

We asked the owner if she wanted to sell her garden table and chairs but she is taking it with her, it is an expensive table and chairs so I guess it will be back to the quokka.

Im having termite nightmares.

Hi PP

Compared to the UK system the Aussie process of buying a house is fairly quick and straight forward. I suppose it's been slightly different for you due to the cock up re finances that the adviser made. It all seems hard at the moment but once it's all over and you're in and you have your first celebratory drink, you'll look back and be glad you did it

Re the table & chairs: Have a look on the notice boards that are sometimes outside Coles/Woolies etc as there are often people selling stuff on there. I'm sure if you look there or in local papers or even garage sales, you'll come across someone wanting to sell theirs.

Re termites: I was exactly the same, especially when I saw that the inspectors take no responsibility if termites are found to be beind the wall at a later stage

Don't stress. S'all good. Keep smiling and remember how well you've done in the short time you've been in Aus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.