Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
OK. An honest view point of the not so rich and famous! We migrated to Gold Coast area almost 2 years ago. We came with 12 FULLY loaded suitcases and $11,000. 2 kids under 10 but with all the positive vibes in the world. We also brought camera equiptment with us to fall back on wedding videos if all else failed. (which we start in a few weeks!) We got down to our last 69 cents! Then hubby got a job in retail. He was a bouncer for 5 years in UK, a cameraman for 1 year and a full time dad for 2. As some of you know - I had 7 p/t jobs in UK, doing lecturing at Uni, youth work, tv work, teaching toddlers music, singing lessons and sold all we owned on e-bay 4 years prior to the move. 2 years down the line and we are still "just" surviving. Hubby has a full time job in retail, he pulls in only $520 a week and I work 3 days as a Media Co-ordinator/Back up Director for a Kindy and pull in $380 a week. $100 a month on mobile phone, $300 a month on food, $100 odds on elec, $100 on telephone bill and we had to get loans to buy cars $400 a month for loans. Trust me - little is left every single bloody week. Our rent is $290 a week for a 3 bedroom house up the mountain. No frills, but lucky for us the steepness of the drive was too high to use as a double garage - so we have a fabby large living room and a balcony. Not posh ...but feels like a home. And we just ADORE living up here. We would buy it tommorrow if we could. Worked on a famous TV show here 12 hour a day shifts - through hell every day - had a team of 12 underneath me and had some MAJOR responsibilities - I got $15 an hour for that job! The job I do now have training & meetings once a month, we don't get paid for that, Christmas dinner - we have to pay for, no bonuses, no frills. We are currenly in a rush period and are expected to work around an extra hour each day over what we are paid for. 1st job ever that we got our Christmas and new year pay late instead of early! I like the job, but there is no respect or loyalty here. They truly use and abuse here and that works both ways - the staff treat the job disrespectully too - but that seems to be common here. Hubby and I both had to start casual positions - which means you are on-call for shifts and if they don't want you, they don't call.....so you can never plan to do anything as as soon as you do you'll be called in. I have a small business too now, but trying to convice Aussies to give a new idea a go is hard. They generally think about things for a long time and are in no rush to make decisions - you need to badger them to remember who you are. Possibly only my area of business but I don't think so.
All I am trying to get over is that, it is friggin hard to come with no money. Hubby has applied for the police force - I pray he gets it. That would suit him to a tee. I really like my job, but just it is expected and taken for granted that you have to give so very much. Gold Coast working life if pretty hard going for those in unusual areas or not in easily transferrrable higher paid jobs. I was hopeing to buy a home here as we never owned one in UK. Hubby is 40, me 36 - unless we get a real good breakthrough soon, it's not going to happen - as we would have to pay at least double our rent on a mortgage. Not like in UK where it's cheaper to buy! I can't understand how people buy and rent out here - rental is by far cheaper! Had to put my camera in the pawn today as the kids start school on Monday and we havn't got uniform or books yet! The owner knows us well now, lol! But it's kept us ticking over - borrow from Peter to pay Paul. SOOO NOT looking for sympathy, just wanted to tell how it is for the other side of the coin. So many on here have finances to back up their move. Please don't bother with negitivity either - he made our choices and I do not regrett one minute of this beautiful place. We were in a housing estate in UK and have such a better standard of living here....with sun too! Yippeee
Truly, my whole family love it here to bits. Wouldn't dream of going back. I have a reoccuring dream that I go back to visit my parents and I can't get back to OZ and I awaken with such sadness, before I open the curtains and look at the parots and breath a huge sigh of relief! Just is hard is all! Harder than I had hoped!
Just read your thread and must say it has helped me a lot we are a family of 9 7 kids and mum and dad oldest is 16 looking for an apprenticship OH got a job sponser in Perth as a carpenter joiner you have helped us alot with costs and so on as we are in your position when we land in oz we only have enough money for a few months rent and buy used furniture, car and well that will be it.
Hubby will be taking home $680 a week we been looking at renting in Rockingham $250 a week so we just need to find out the cost of food and school fees and so on I am willing to work part time used to work in Asda so got retail experience but we comming on a 457 visa as we having trouble proving his past work history so hoping to change to PR ASAP

We are a family who live a simple life and just want some sun open space and a good life for our kids at the end of the day being happy is the only thing we require.

So thanks for your experience you have shared it has still not put us off !

Tracey
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:02 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Good on ya guys. I wish you all the very best. Wee update - Hubby is 1/2 way through his training now. He LOVES IT! He is doing well and thriving (although there is a LOT of paperwork)! Happy as Larry for what feels such a long time now. My mum visited and she says it has changed the way she views life now. Get busy living guys! x x x What a wonderful world this is!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:06 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kathkim
Hi I love this posting
I can relate to a lot of what your saying.I know things will work out ok for you.
We love Mt Tamborine and go there a lot ,its not very far from us.
Is hubby going to Oxley acadmey? my son went there he has been a policeman for about 3 years and loves it.A couple of his mates have joined this year too,and our friends son came out of the Academy last year.
They all work for the QLD Police force.
Sorry, just seen this - Oxley, yes. Anyone more than welcome for a coffee if there up this way! Nice to say hello!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

OK. An honest view point of the not so rich and famous! We migrated to Gold Coast area almost 2 years ago. We came with 12 FULLY loaded suitcases and $11,000. 2 kids under 10 but with all the positive vibes in the world. We also brought camera equiptment with us to fall back on wedding videos if all else failed. (which we start in a few weeks!) We got down to our last 69 cents! Then hubby got a job in retail. He was a bouncer for 5 years in UK, a cameraman for 1 year and a full time dad for 2. As some of you know - I had 7 p/t jobs in UK, doing lecturing at Uni, youth work, tv work, teaching toddlers music, singing lessons and sold all we owned on e-bay 4 years prior to the move. 2 years down the line and we are still "just" surviving. Hubby has a full time job in retail, he pulls in only $520 a week and I work 3 days as a Media Co-ordinator/Back up Director for a Kindy and pull in $380 a week. $100 a month on mobile phone, $300 a month on food, $100 odds on elec, $100 on telephone bill and we had to get loans to buy cars $400 a month for loans. Trust me - little is left every single bloody week. Our rent is $290 a week for a 3 bedroom house up the mountain. No frills, but lucky for us the steepness of the drive was too high to use as a double garage - so we have a fabby large living room and a balcony. Not posh ...but feels like a home. And we just ADORE living up here. We would buy it tommorrow if we could. Worked on a famous TV show here 12 hour a day shifts - through hell every day - had a team of 12 underneath me and had some MAJOR responsibilities - I got $15 an hour for that job! The job I do now have training & meetings once a month, we don't get paid for that, Christmas dinner - we have to pay for, no bonuses, no frills. We are currenly in a rush period and are expected to work around an extra hour each day over what we are paid for. 1st job ever that we got our Christmas and new year pay late instead of early! I like the job, but there is no respect or loyalty here. They truly use and abuse here and that works both ways - the staff treat the job disrespectully too - but that seems to be common here. Hubby and I both had to start casual positions - which means you are on-call for shifts and if they don't want you, they don't call.....so you can never plan to do anything as as soon as you do you'll be called in. I have a small business too now, but trying to convice Aussies to give a new idea a go is hard. They generally think about things for a long time and are in no rush to make decisions - you need to badger them to remember who you are. Possibly only my area of business but I don't think so.
All I am trying to get over is that, it is friggin hard to come with no money. Hubby has applied for the police force - I pray he gets it. That would suit him to a tee. I really like my job, but just it is expected and taken for granted that you have to give so very much. Gold Coast working life if pretty hard going for those in unusual areas or not in easily transferrrable higher paid jobs. I was hopeing to buy a home here as we never owned one in UK. Hubby is 40, me 36 - unless we get a real good breakthrough soon, it's not going to happen - as we would have to pay at least double our rent on a mortgage. Not like in UK where it's cheaper to buy! I can't understand how people buy and rent out here - rental is by far cheaper! Had to put my camera in the pawn today as the kids start school on Monday and we havn't got uniform or books yet! The owner knows us well now, lol! But it's kept us ticking over - borrow from Peter to pay Paul. SOOO NOT looking for sympathy, just wanted to tell how it is for the other side of the coin. So many on here have finances to back up their move. Please don't bother with negitivity either - he made our choices and I do not regrett one minute of this beautiful place. We were in a housing estate in UK and have such a better standard of living here....with sun too! Yippeee
Truly, my whole family love it here to bits. Wouldn't dream of going back. I have a reoccuring dream that I go back to visit my parents and I can't get back to OZ and I awaken with such sadness, before I open the curtains and look at the parots and breath a huge sigh of relief! Just is hard is all! Harder than I had hoped!
I take my hat off to you my friend...
fab post..totally honest reading..related to you shit loads..we are 3 yrs hereand in last year things improved loads..like your hubby mine was lookin foer work and decided to become an apprentice..money couldnt be any worse..
lost his job when we got our PR coz he was a truckie and didnt recognise his licence..6 month wait to sit test etc..you know the script!!
Became on 1st name terms with all down at cash converters either sellin or borrowin to get by..constant juggle!!
Read someones post that they reckon it takes about 5 years to start livin
your dream....probably true
Like you love livin in QLD..hey what a choice eh..skint here in the sun or skint in cold depressin Manchester..
Noticed your post months ago..how did your hubby go on with police job?
hope life improvin for you guys..
what part of UK you from?
lol Sarah x
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Good on ya guys. I wish you all the very best. Wee update - Hubby is 1/2 way through his training now. He LOVES IT! He is doing well and thriving (although there is a LOT of paperwork)! Happy as Larry for what feels such a long time now. My mum visited and she says it has changed the way she views life now. Get busy living guys! x x x What a wonderful world this is!
ok im blind!!!
just noticed this...absolutely over the moon for you...life is good eh?
Yeah..this is a beautiful world..Australia is an amazin country.. and how lucky are we to call it home..xx
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:29 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Yup....truly is! If I wanna smile - I go to the local shop. Simply that is enough to remind me of how lucky we are and leaves me with a smile all over my face! The views are amazing up here though! From Edinburgh, Scotland originally. Nice to hear others can relate to this post. I wish you all and everything. x x x
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

OMG - Your avatar was unexpected!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:24 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by homewardbound
OMG - Your avatar was unexpected!
Really! You too huh! I miss them the most being over here! But it's all snowy on the pond over there! We keep in touch though! x
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

whats your husbands name i work at the academy, the pommie chef,
i have probably spoken to him heaps, tell him to sat hi
ian
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:03 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the big IP
whats your husbands name i work at the academy, the pommie chef,
i have probably spoken to him heaps, tell him to sat hi
ian
I'll PM Ya
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:14 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

OK - another wee update! Although my small business is doing really well, I didn't anticipate the christmas lull! With the schools breaking up things have slowed right down. But good news is that starting in January - I have another 2 jobs lines up and another 3 groups with my small business. Got a casual job a couple days a month hosting corporate team building days, trivia nights and murder mysteries. Also got 2 mornings a week teaching video production in a college. Hubby also graduates in Feburary! So next year should be really rosy for us! Things feeling ....and looking great! Only really got to survive December (great! - the hardest month!) and it should be smooth sailing after that!(here's hopeing!) HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you all out there ....and all the well wishers. Hope the rosy side of life is just round the corner for all of you seeking it! x x x
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:58 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

OK - another wee update! Although my small business is doing really well, I didn't anticipate the christmas lull! With the schools breaking up things have slowed right down. But good news is that starting in January - I have another 2 jobs lines up and another 3 groups with my small business. Got a casual job a couple days a month hosting corporate team building days, trivia nights and murder mysteries. Also got 2 mornings a week teaching video production in a college. Hubby also graduates in Feburary! So next year should be really rosy for us! Things feeling ....and looking great! Only really got to survive December (great! - the hardest month!) and it should be smooth sailing after that!(here's hopeing!) HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you all out there ....and all the well wishers. Hope the rosy side of life is just round the corner for all of you seeking it! x x x
I hope December is not too hard for you, but no doubt you'll cope if it is

Here's to 2008 and I'm sure it'll be a happy and prosperous one for you
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Popeye01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buggar that, I was once battered in Edinburgh by a policeman on a stagg weekend from Geordie land!! LOL
Great post girl, as the painted back of the hippie van I saw in Byron said "dont take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive" !!!
Good luck to The other half it sound's as if he could use a break.

Last edited by Popeye01; Dec 9th 2007 at 1:51 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

what a fabulous thread, have just read through it all and you and oh should be so proud!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:50 am
Just Joined

kathkim is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, just seen this - Oxley, yes. Anyone more than welcome for a coffee if there up this way! Nice to say hello!
hi how did he get on ? was up the mountain at the weekend . was wet but nice .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.