Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Old May 26th 2007, 11:48 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Fingers crossed x

Cheeers

Ginny
Old May 30th 2007, 2:15 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Yes, that right. 2.4km. One young chap bust a gut and gave it everything he had and did the run in 7 minutes flat. My hubby congratulated him for his time, but pointed out to him (in the nicest possible way) - "but that was a little silly do you not think?" "What do you mean?" he replied. My hubby pointed out that in the paperwork it stated that in the 1st 3 months of training at the accademy you have to do the run a further 2 times, each run bettering your previous time! Opps - poor chap......he was a little distressed at that news! (not that hubby was wanting to make him feel bad - he had already developed a friendly rapport with the chap, and felt the comment was fine to make, in a friendly way - just whenI read it back it sounded like hubby had said that nastily - but he truly hadn't)

Interview was fine. Passed Medical (despite being colourblind - which is why he was rejected in Uk! He can tell vivid colours fine.) He will hear in 2 weeks. So, he feels that he did the very best he could. If they do not want him, it is because he is just not what they are looking for. Which I guess he will just have to live with and move on. We'll see. I guess it's a better feeling to know you did the very best you could. If he had failed on something he could improve on then tht would be different.
The waiting game now! Will let you know when we get and answer one way or another. What will be will be I guess!
(funny though, I've seen since after the interview how much he really wants this. I hope that he gets it!)

good luck hope he gets in

keep us updated
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

A very positive and uplifting thread, wishing you all the best, fingers and toes crossed that ur hubbie get into the police force, keep us posted!

Phyllis
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:48 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

excellent positive post

please keep us updated with your OH application

regards steve

Last edited by steve`o; Jun 2nd 2007 at 10:03 pm. Reason: must learn to spell must learn to spell
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful post, very honest, thank you. Really wish you all well especially hubby with police thing.
Sally
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Allie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Hi, wondering if you can help - moving to Gold Coast in Jan 2008 - I have a transfer through work so that is not a prob, husband is a builder so he will be fine - I have 2 kids 11 & 10 (girl & boy) - I will be working near Southport. I am wondering where we should rent - close to a good school and a good area. Is Runaway Bay any good? - what are the schools like in the area? - we will need a Primary. I have friends in Pacific Pines but would prefer to be close to the sea. We will be buying at a later date but would like know what areas to stay away from - we would prefer more Residential area. My kids are really outdoors kids with my daughter making NZ Judo Champion this year - would like to continue them both in a local judo club when we move - does anyone know of any good Judo clubs on the GC? Hope someone can help. Cheers - Allie
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:47 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie1
Hi, wondering if you can help - moving to Gold Coast in Jan 2008 - I have a transfer through work so that is not a prob, husband is a builder so he will be fine - I have 2 kids 11 & 10 (girl & boy) - I will be working near Southport. I am wondering where we should rent - close to a good school and a good area. Is Runaway Bay any good? - what are the schools like in the area? - we will need a Primary. I have friends in Pacific Pines but would prefer to be close to the sea. We will be buying at a later date but would like know what areas to stay away from - we would prefer more Residential area. My kids are really outdoors kids with my daughter making NZ Judo Champion this year - would like to continue them both in a local judo club when we move - does anyone know of any good Judo clubs on the GC? Hope someone can help. Cheers - Allie
i see kids with judo outfits a lot in Pac pines, but dont know where they go to.

runaway bay is really nice, but it has a very high house breaking rate
its very over priced, the average age is about 128, and it reeks of piss
it has two primary schools
coombabah state school and biggera waters primary (think thats the name)
it has one high school, Coombabah high.
cant tell you a thing about them though
it has a shopping centre
about 395 medical centres (for all the oldies)
a pub
a social club
a Librarie
a marina
a police station
and its right next to paradise point!
not too bad an area at all. dont let the old people put you off. they are all home by noon lol
but the breakins would worry me
need to know anything else?
just ask
soapy
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Allie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, thanks for the info. Where would be a good area to move into - worries me that the average age is 128 and they have 2 primary schools - tee hee. Would prefer somewhere more rural - my friend lives in Pacific Pines but I think it is a little too far for us. What is Robina, Somerset school like - I have been looking on the internet. Maybe Mermaid Waters?? Are they good areas?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:14 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd update: STILL NO WORD! It's coming up to 4 weeks now and still they have not made a decision with Hubby and the Police Force! We have been told he has been shortlisted....but still awaiting news! Will let you know when we hear! We are on tenderhooks! Seems like ages!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:29 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd update: STILL NO WORD! It's coming up to 4 weeks now and still they have not made a decision with Hubby and the Police Force! We have been told he has been shortlisted....but still awaiting news! Will let you know when we hear! We are on tenderhooks! Seems like ages!
God guys! Keeping my fingers crossed....You deserve a bit of a break.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

OMG!! Well you know what they say no news is good news!!! best of luck to you

Phyllis
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I think that hubby will be just fine, if they didnt want him, they would have let you know by now. They might be checking up on references etc, I presume they would have had to check overseas?

Hope he is keeping up with his training for the physical side of things
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

knoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really nice

Great post good luck to your husband.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Inspirational stuff for people considering a move to OZ, dogged perseverance..well done

Dave
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Just want to add that your story is inspirational to us especially. We are coming over with about the same amount of money you had, also from a housing estate in UK and also have two kids. We have read so many stories of how people have got on and not many really of anyone who has had as little as we have.
I can relate to the attitude you have about life in general. We have come from nothing and now have what I think would be classed as a very modest standard of living. Although I do have a few wobbly moments when I think 'what if...' at the end of the day, we have each other and that's what has kept us together all these years. People like you remind me about what's important.

Loads of respect to you and thanks for sharing what it's been like for you. I hope your OH hears something soon and that you manage to get your camera back soon.

xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.