perth (SOR) one year on

Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Scotland to Saudi to Scotland to Netherlands to Scotland to Oz!
Fima_Cege will become famous soon enoughFima_Cege will become famous soon enough
Default Re: perth (SOR) one year on

Hi Little Bear - we too are thinking about Perth. I figured from your post that you are a hairdresser? What did you need to do to get a job over there? I heard that in WA they are extremely strict about hairdressers and all of them have to be registered or something? Sorry about the 20 questions malarky, but really confused about the job front for me when we arrive - and if there is something I can do before we get there I would appreciate the advice! Cheers Fi and Gang x
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fima_Cege
Hi Little Bear - we too are thinking about Perth. I figured from your post that you are a hairdresser? What did you need to do to get a job over there? I heard that in WA they are extremely strict about hairdressers and all of them have to be registered or something? Sorry about the 20 questions malarky, but really confused about the job front for me when we arrive - and if there is something I can do before we get there I would appreciate the advice! Cheers Fi and Gang x
Hi Fi and gang,

yes i am hairdresser, is not hard to get a job here as we are in demand, its pretty similar to the Uk as far as applying/getting jobs here, verbal interview first then trade test, some salons are fine if you are not registered and will help you get it all sorted, other salons prefer that you are already registered, Wa is the only state that requires us to be registered (and yes they do take it seriously), you can apply for an 'authority to work' while you are applying for your registration, hope this helps you,

cheers

little bear x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Scotland to Saudi to Scotland to Netherlands to Scotland to Oz!
Fima_Cege will become famous soon enoughFima_Cege will become famous soon enough

Hi little bear - been ages since I was on this - we have been moving countries again! Anyway, that's us back on here and just want to say thanks for getting back to me about it! Its reassured me somewhat I have to say.

rambling a bit now as getting tired, and on a laptop where the keys are that little bit smaller! hrm...

Fi
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

RosaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by little bear
As the title suggests-a year ago today , me, hubby and 3 kids arrived in Perth to start our new lives! Well what can i say, probably the most emotional year of our lives, something that if i'm honest never gave a thought to when we were going through the limbo land of waiting for the visa, i truly thought that was the hard bit!

Having been here on two 3 week reccie trips the year before we came out to live i honestly believed we knew exactly what we were letting ourselves in for with this emigrating lark, you can get the research information (you know - areas, schools etc) side of it from a reccie trip but i personally dont believe you can get anywhere near the 'how you will feel when you are actually living here' on a reccie, dont get me wrong, we all think Perth is great, warts and all, it offers us as a family at this present time what we require.

On arrival we did all the usual drivers lisences, TF no's etc, found a rental, got kids into schools, after 6 wks hubby was working for a gang of brickies (through a contact from the UK), i started in a local salon but only did one week (was the 3rd one to start and only stay a week so i found out at a later date so it sort of explains itself) started in another salon a few weeks later (was there til nov and have just started in new salon 3wks ago and very happy there).

Kids all settled in brilliantly (our biggest concern) the eldest changed schools and moved to the soccer academy safety bay high in august (was at warnbro comm high but it just wasnt sporty enough for him) younger 2 were at warnbro primary and thoroughly enjoyed it there (daughter still there and still loving it, which is a complete turnaround from hating school in the uk) middle son just started at safety bay high (also in the soccer academy and extrememly happy there), havent had a single 'i want to go back to the UK from any of them-phew!

We have met some great people and made some really good friends (you know exactly who you are guys) which brings me on to one of the emotional aspects i was talking about earlier-i met a fantastic friend, we got on so well it was spooky, laugh at the same things without even having to say it-you know the kind of thing i mean? well, unfortunately, things didnt work out quite as planned for her and her family (hubby just couldnt settle) and they ended up moving back to the Uk at the end of august, saying goodbye was horrendous, to the point that it still brings me to tears when i think about it now, i miss her so desperately and always will, we still have that closeness and 'talk' on msn etc but its not quite the same when you have a bloody great ocean between you, funnily enough our paths would almost certainly never have crossed had we have both not come out here originally so i am thankful that we did meet.

We bought a block of land on our 2nd reccie trip in warnbro and started the process of building a house on it while we were still in the uk, it was all ready to start the earthworks a few weeks after we arrived, it was completed and we moved in at the end of Nov (a year after we bought the land), picked up our new puppy (yellow lab) the day after we moved in (yes we are totally mad!) we also aquired a baby cockateil that our neighbour from our rental (a few doors down from our housebuild) had bred for us.

Two weeks after we moved in my Mum and Stepdad arrived to stay-(another one of those emotional aspects i was talking about) having them stay was a total disaster, my mum was fine but my stepdad was a complete nightmare and made life hell for the 3 wks they were with us, we are not sure if it was his way of 'paying us back' for him having to deal with my mum's upset of us emigrating (she was very uspset but supported our move totally) or jealousy of something that he had always said he had wished he'd done, all i know was it has shaken up a whole bucket of emotions for me and hubby (kids are fine still), let me add its not a 'we want to go back to the uk' emotion, just more of a uncertainty of all the decisions we have had to make in the last year-it sort of takes its toll on you and becomes quite draining (unless its just us that feel like that)

Anyway i have drivelled on far too much, to anyone out there going through any part of the process -i wish you well in your journey, where ever it takes you

little bear x
hi, loved your post. we applied in may 2008 and have just had our medicals done. we have 3 kids and the eldest is who i worry about the most. glad ur kids have settled well. we have never visited oz but we thought wed give things a try. we have friends in the rockingham area who have advised us along the way.u never kno we may even meet up one day?! just got to sell our house now which is proving difficult.take care xx
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fima_Cege
Hi little bear - been ages since I was on this - we have been moving countries again! Anyway, that's us back on here and just want to say thanks for getting back to me about it! Its reassured me somewhat I have to say.

rambling a bit now as getting tired, and on a laptop where the keys are that little bit smaller! hrm...

Fi
Hi there,

My goodness you really are globetrotters, hope all is going well for you

little bear x
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RosaB
hi, loved your post. we applied in may 2008 and have just had our medicals done. we have 3 kids and the eldest is who i worry about the most. glad ur kids have settled well. we have never visited oz but we thought wed give things a try. we have friends in the rockingham area who have advised us along the way.u never kno we may even meet up one day?! just got to sell our house now which is proving difficult.take care xx
Hi RosaB,

Glad it may have been of some help to you, its a real rollercoaster isn't it!! We are now ticking along very quickly towards 2 years and i must say i personally have totally settled now and consider this very much our home (has really been the last 6 months i reckon), the biggest thing has been having a job i love (i would have only just started there when i did my update)-its made a huge difference to settling in.

So if you have just had your medicals done you will be almost there on getting your visas then, good luck with the house sale-you'll be here before you know it

bye for now

little bear x
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

RosaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by little bear
Hi RosaB,

Glad it may have been of some help to you, its a real rollercoaster isn't it!! We are now ticking along very quickly towards 2 years and i must say i personally have totally settled now and consider this very much our home (has really been the last 6 months i reckon), the biggest thing has been having a job i love (i would have only just started there when i did my update)-its made a huge difference to settling in.

So if you have just had your medicals done you will be almost there on getting your visas then, good luck with the house sale-you'll be here before you know it

bye for now

little bear x
HELLO AGAIN. Is it quite easy to get them places in the schools over there. my friends children go to a private school which i know is cheaper than private schools over in the uk but i think my 13yr old would prefer to go to the soccer academy as he struggles a bit academically.is it right that my youngest wont start school till shes 5 years old over there. also wot do teenagers get upto over there? do they play on x boxes? sorry im asking too many questions. as a mum you worry for the kids more than you do urself! ttfn x rosa
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RosaB
HELLO AGAIN. Is it quite easy to get them places in the schools over there. my friends children go to a private school which i know is cheaper than private schools over in the uk but i think my 13yr old would prefer to go to the soccer academy as he struggles a bit academically.is it right that my youngest wont start school till shes 5 years old over there. also wot do teenagers get upto over there? do they play on x boxes? sorry im asking too many questions. as a mum you worry for the kids more than you do urself! ttfn x rosa
Hi Rosa,

Yes thats right that the private schooling over here is cheaper than in the UK, we are out of catchment for Safety Bay High (where the two boys go) but as they are in the soccer academy its not an issue, our daughter should get a place there on account of the sibling rule (similar to UK) but she is infact very keen to be in the girls soccer academy there too so fingers crossed she'll get in when the time comes (she too is not hugely academic).

Not sure about the ages for kindy/pre-primary etc but Mick69 used to live here and her two girls were in that age grouping, i'm sure she wouldn't mind you sending her a pm to ask, or someone else might pop in on here and advise you. Its pretty similar for the young teenagers over here, my two boys go up to the shopping centres with their mates, go to the local aqua centre, cinema, bowling, hanging out at a mates house to play playstation/Xbox etc, my eldest sometimes goes up to Perth city on the train during the day and in the holidays i dropped off my two and two of their friends at Adventure World (sort of theme park type place) and they spent the day there and then made their way home on the bus and train, my eldest has just started in the teenage party scene so we are now having to stay up to go pick him up!!!!! And yes you're right you never stop worrying

cheers

little bear x
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind helping out when I can

RosaB - When we arrived my youngest was 4. She attended kindy 4 times a week. 2 morning and 2 afternoons. My oldest who was 5 at the time went to Pre-primary, times are just about the same as UK start 9am finish 3pm (ish)
If I can help anymore just yell

And howdy doody to my bessie mate Hows things with you over in (lucky for some) Sunny Oz? Its bloody freezing here today, hats and scarves out already!!! Will email or ring in the next week or so xxx

Lynne
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mick69
I don't mind helping out when I can

RosaB - When we arrived my youngest was 4. She attended kindy 4 times a week. 2 morning and 2 afternoons. My oldest who was 5 at the time went to Pre-primary, times are just about the same as UK start 9am finish 3pm (ish)
If I can help anymore just yell

And howdy doody to my bessie mate Hows things with you over in (lucky for some) Sunny Oz? Its bloody freezing here today, hats and scarves out already!!! Will email or ring in the next week or so xxx

Lynne
Hi Luvy,

I knew you wouldn't mind

All is good here thanks hon, not that i'm rubbin it in but have had to put the aircon on today so no hat & scarves, will defo contact you shortly

still miss ya loads

Sara x