Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Nice one loanranger. You will fit in with the Aussies very well, they can be very much like that too.

Good luck with everything, I am sure as long as you are still standing, got your health and have a great relationship it's all-good.

Good luck
Cheers Gordo, I am sure we will, we like challenges and don't quit things easily!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kevin

Lochwinnoch? I played a bit of amateur football down there against the mighty Viewfield Rovers where the whole village used to turn up to watch and they sold cans of lager etc out of a wee hole in the pavilion wall!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Hi Kevin

Lochwinnoch? I played a bit of amateur football down there against the mighty Viewfield Rovers where the whole village used to turn up to watch and they sold cans of lager etc out of a wee hole in the pavilion wall!
Hi LR

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. It is one of our secrets.An amateur club with a bar.
When I moved there 15 years ago Viewfield Rovers were considered a Glasgow team as the players all lived in Pollok. I opted for Calderglen(the other team ) to play for. It was a good move as the "locals " liked that.My house is 20 metres away from the park.

Who did you play for?

If you need any info on Aus I'lll try to be as balanced as I can.I think you have the right attitude. I just have too much in Scotland hence my return.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevin747
Hi LR

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. It is one of our secrets.An amateur club with a bar.
When I moved there 15 years ago Viewfield Rovers were considered a Glasgow team as the players all lived in Pollok. I opted for Calderglen(the other team ) to play for. It was a good move as the "locals " liked that.My house is 20 metres away from the park.

Who did you play for?

If you need any info on Aus I'lll try to be as balanced as I can.I think you have the right attitude. I just have too much in Scotland hence my return.
I played for Milngavie Wanderers and Coatbridge CC in the Caledonian league. I also played for a while with Barrs AFC in the Paisley & District league when it was a good league! Viewfield beat us 1 - 0 in the Scottish Cup Quarter final with a dodgy penalty and went on to win it think that was 90 / 91 season.

I think the mistake most folk make when they emigrate is that they don't give it enough time and they keep property back in the UK and head back at the drop of a hat so to speak. I have a few mates that I grew up with who moved away from Scotland to various places like England, Jersey, USA and Australia, and when they come back for a holiday they all can't wait to go back home (abroad etc) because nothing seems to change back here!

I actually drove my mate's brother to the airport when he was going to Japan to work for 5 years and we stopped off at the bookie's in Maryhill en route to the airport, he came back 5 years later and went into the same bookie's and lo and behold it was the same old faces with the same hard luck stories wearing the same clothes!

My theory is that if you are experiencing homesickness and you are flush, then you should come back for a holiday and I'll bet after a few weeks you will be desperate to get back to Australia because nothing ever changes here and in most cases time seems to stand still if that makes any sense?

I like a challenge and on our recce last year I told our car hire firm that I didn't require the sat nav because I would rather find my own way about and we only got lost once. Emigration is a challenge and an adventure and fortune favours the brave, if you want it you'll get it!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I played for Milngavie Wanderers and Coatbridge CC in the Caledonian league. I also played for a while with Barrs AFC in the Paisley & District league when it was a good league! Viewfield beat us 1 - 0 in the Scottish Cup Quarter final with a dodgy penalty and went on to win it think that was 90 / 91 season.

I think the mistake most folk make when they emigrate is that they don't give it enough time and they keep property back in the UK and head back at the drop of a hat so to speak. I have a few mates that I grew up with who moved away from Scotland to various places like England, Jersey, USA and Australia, and when they come back for a holiday they all can't wait to go back home (abroad etc) because nothing seems to change back here!

I actually drove my mate's brother to the airport when he was going to Japan to work for 5 years and we stopped off at the bookie's in Maryhill en route to the airport, he came back 5 years later and went into the same bookie's and lo and behold it was the same old faces with the same hard luck stories wearing the same clothes!

My theory is that if you are experiencing homesickness and you are flush, then you should come back for a holiday and I'll bet after a few weeks you will be desperate to get back to Australia because nothing ever changes here and in most cases time seems to stand still if that makes any sense?

I like a challenge and on our recce last year I told our car hire firm that I didn't require the sat nav because I would rather find my own way about and we only got lost once. Emigration is a challenge and an adventure and fortune favours the brave, if you want it you'll get it!
Fortune may favour the brave. We came here and we are both working in reasonably paid jobs ,kids doing well at school but find the place inferior to the uk and our quality of life poorer. It depends on the individual and the circumstances.I think you have to go to try it.My friends tried to talk me out of Australia(folk who have lived here) and told me all the downsides.
I have no regrets about coming here it has been a great adventure.BTW I played for Blantyre Celtic(sub wasn't hard enough for junior football) High Blantyre Thistle,Claderglen and Garnock Valley(briefly)
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Fortune may favour the brave. We came here and we are both working in reasonably paid jobs ,kids doing well at school but find the place inferior to the uk and our quality of life poorer. It depends on the individual and the circumstances.I think you have to go to try it.My friends tried to talk me out of Australia(folk who have lived here) and told me all the downsides.
I have no regrets about coming here it has been a great adventure.BTW I played for Blantyre Celtic(sub wasn't hard enough for junior football) High Blantyre Thistle,Claderglen and Garnock Valley(briefly)
I played junior football for 4 years with Glasgow Perthshire and Maryhill and yeah it was hard, then went back to the amateurs which was a breeze in comparison.

I don't expect it to be the same as the UK and I think when you live somewhere for a long period ie. Scotland / UK or wherever then it is only natural to compare everything to that life and that set of friends especially when you're trying something new in a new country. Its time that is the major factor and as I said previous, most folk don't give it enough time and give up too soon, the way of the world now is to have it now and patience is in short supply everywhere, even back here in the UK, nobody is prepared to wait for things nowadays and settling in another country comes into that category.

There are a lot of folk on here who have toughed it out and appear to be over that hill in terms of settling into life in Australia. I have relatives in Canada who at one stage were ready to jump on the plane after 3 months and come back but decided to stay for another couple of months and they have now been in Canada for 35 years! They have given us good advice for when we move and one benefit they see which they never had is the internet which makes it easier to keep intouch with friends and relatives back home. I think if you come back to Scotland and I don't know if you've already been back for a holiday or not? then I'm sure you will miss Australia and you will possibly look at what you've got over there and things will look entirely different, you will appreciate it more.

What are your plans? Are you staying put or are you thinking about coming back to Scotland?

Best of luck with whatever you're doing

Lone Ranger
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

John, just found your post and my heart goes out to you (even though your a huns supporter). Us tims are not all bad.What can I say big man Basically its hang in there but youve heard all that before and I believe you would have done everything possible to make your dream come true. Ill say wan fur ye and hope it o comes thigither. Sorry a canny be of mer help but efter o the encouraging words you shared wi me, I feel obliged and a wee bit sorry that a canny help ye mer. Good luck and itll happen in 2009, believe me John coz av goat a direct line tae the big yin. Chin up mate.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by framac67
John, just found your post and my heart goes out to you (even though your a huns supporter). Us tims are not all bad.What can I say big man Basically its hang in there but youve heard all that before and I believe you would have done everything possible to make your dream come true. Ill say wan fur ye and hope it o comes thigither. Sorry a canny be of mer help but efter o the encouraging words you shared wi me, I feel obliged and a wee bit sorry that a canny help ye mer. Good luck and itll happen in 2009, believe me John coz av goat a direct line tae the big yin. Chin up mate.
How are you buddy? How's the wife and weans?

Cheers for the words of encouragement, I think it will happen this year but maybe later on in the year noo that you've intervened! You're right about the Tims, most of my mates are on the dark side so as you can imagine I'm getting it a bit tight just now although consoled by the fact that your lot are not much better! Where would we be withoot wan an other eh?

I hope you're keepin yer stunts tae a minimum these days an geein that wifie o' yours a breck! Its a bit grim ootside the day, gales and dark skies and poly bags flyin aboot in the air although the rains no started yet! Scotland eh?

Speak to you soon pal, take care

John
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I played junior football for 4 years with Glasgow Perthshire and Maryhill and yeah it was hard, then went back to the amateurs which was a breeze in comparison.

I don't expect it to be the same as the UK and I think when you live somewhere for a long period ie. Scotland / UK or wherever then it is only natural to compare everything to that life and that set of friends especially when you're trying something new in a new country. Its time that is the major factor and as I said previous, most folk don't give it enough time and give up too soon, the way of the world now is to have it now and patience is in short supply everywhere, even back here in the UK, nobody is prepared to wait for things nowadays and settling in another country comes into that category.

There are a lot of folk on here who have toughed it out and appear to be over that hill in terms of settling into life in Australia. I have relatives in Canada who at one stage were ready to jump on the plane after 3 months and come back but decided to stay for another couple of months and they have now been in Canada for 35 years! They have given us good advice for when we move and one benefit they see which they never had is the internet which makes it easier to keep intouch with friends and relatives back home. I think if you come back to Scotland and I don't know if you've already been back for a holiday or not? then I'm sure you will miss Australia and you will possibly look at what you've got over there and things will look entirely different, you will appreciate it more.

What are your plans? Are you staying put or are you thinking about coming back to Scotland?

Best of luck with whatever you're doing

Lone Ranger

Lets be straight. I will miss Australia.

I think you have to go
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lets be straight. I will miss Australia.

I think you have to go
Can I ask what it is that you do for a living?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

cherrybrandy is on a distinguished road

We moved to Oz in July 2008. We were in the same situation in selling our house, same questions do we let our house go for a song or do we stay? We put it on the market hoping we would get a quick sale in Jan 2008, we also offered to pay 5% deposit etc after a short period on the market, however we still had no offers, due to the housing market. After much deliberation and a job offer that could not wait in Oz, we decided to put it on the rental market and it is still being rented out at this time. Once arriving in OZ we found that quite a few people had done this and also found out that if there is a shortfall between your mortgage and rental income you can claim it back off your tax bill at the end of the year which over here is a minefield in itself.

So good luck with your move and your new life in Oz.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can I ask what it is that you do for a living?
Occupational Therapist
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

Lone Ranger
I think what kev747 is trying to say is that for some, like myself, we actually had a better lifestyle/quality of life back in the UK so just how long are you prepared to 'give it a go' here? knowing that life was better back home. I could wait here another 2 years but I know that I will never be happy here.
Life's too short to hang around somewhere where you're not happy IMO

Many folk will stick around and overcome their initial 'homesickness' and go on to live happily here and I'd be the first to congratulate them, but for many they know in their heart of hearts that they will never settle here so why continue to live an unhappy exsistance. I cant understand those who stay but have to go on anti-depressants to continue living here. Thats no way to live your life.

All the best with your move and new life in Oz
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

How are you buddy? How's the wife and weans?

Cheers for the words of encouragement, I think it will happen this year but maybe later on in the year noo that you've intervened! You're right about the Tims, most of my mates are on the dark side so as you can imagine I'm getting it a bit tight just now although consoled by the fact that your lot are not much better! Where would we be withoot wan an other eh?

I hope you're keepin yer stunts tae a minimum these days an geein that wifie o' yours a breck! Its a bit grim ootside the day, gales and dark skies and poly bags flyin aboot in the air although the rains no started yet! Scotland eh?

Speak to you soon pal, take care

John
Am gonny make a prediction and its see by the time we win 4 in a row, you'll no be there tae see o the Tims gloating and cheering and dancing and singing and did a say gloating. Good luck mate. It'll o be worth it in the end. PS. The wife n weans are having a ball n am o sunburned. Lifes a bitch.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by framac67
Am gonny make a prediction and its see by the time we win 4 in a row, you'll no be there tae see o the Tims gloating and cheering and dancing and singing and did a say gloating. Good luck mate. It'll o be worth it in the end. PS. The wife n weans are having a ball n am o sunburned. Lifes a bitch.
Have already arranged to go to Celtic v Falkirk on 14th March.Fly home on 9th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.