Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

One year on in Newcastle, NSW

One year on in Newcastle, NSW

Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:34 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default One year on in Newcastle, NSW

Hi all

We have been here a year now, so thought an update would be in order.

My last one was done 3 weeks after arriving, see here http://britishexpats.com/forum/updat...ks-nsw-804781/

Well, a year in and I'm pretty settled. I love Newcastle! I'm close to the Hunter valley vineyards and go there regularly
I'm close to Port Stephens for whale and dolphin watching, and close to Sydney for the Sydney experience without the cost of living.

What a roller coaster of a year though!

My initial views are still valid for the most part.

The good
My favourite things about Australia are the sky, the bush and the weather.

The sky:
Blue during the day, filled with amazing stars at night. I have seen shooting stars and the Milky Way. Amazing cloud formations - I never get tired of the Aussie sky!

The bush: I love the Australian bush; I think it is beautiful. I love the way the sunlight falls on gum trees, casting a golden glow. I love the lush greenery 12 months per year.
I know it may be different in other states, but NSW is green!

The weather: I've never seen so much sun. When it rains here, it absolutely hammers down. It will hammer down for 2-3 days, making everything green and lush and then the sun comes out for weeks on end.

The people: mostly have been great. I work with people who have a great sense of humour and there are plenty of laughs and giggles. I'm so pleased about this as I was led to believe Aussies didn't have a sense of humour!

Both OH and I have settled in work and are happy. The kids have also settled at school, although this did take a few months.

The bad

I had to return to the UK in a hurry in March. My mum had a heart attack and I returned for 3 weeks.
After the first week, when I realised my mum was going to be ok, I relaxed and enjoyed being back.
I didn't like the weather, even though it was reasonably good for the time of year. I just didn't like the grey skies. However; it all felt very familiar and it was great to see family and friends.
I enjoyed being back but I didn't yearn to move back and was happy to return to Aus to be with my OH and kids. I felt slightly unsettled when I returned but it was more that the excitement had worn off, rather than feeling that I wanted to move back to the UK.

The ugly

The graffiti doesn't bother me much now - I hardly see it. There's still a lot more than the UK though. I don't know why? Is it easier to buy spray as a teenager / kid?

Overweight people - huge obesity problem here in the Hunter region.

Overall
I think I'm lucky!
We have settled well but still love our home country. We miss people but don't get excessively homesick, although of course we have our moments.
I've met other expats who are either so homesick they can't enjoy life here, or who slag off the UK.
I feel blessed to love both countries and to be able to see good and bad in both.

For now, Australia suits me and my family

Last edited by Kapri; Jul 8th 2014 at 11:51 am.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year on in Newcastle, NSW

Really pleased that after all you've gone through to finally get here that you're settled and happy. Good luck for the next xx years.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 3:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update Kapri and I'm glad you're enjoying Oz.

I'd love to see the Hunter Valley, lived in Autralia all my life but haven't made it there yet. I know what you mean about the bush, I love it best on crisp winter days with a billy boiling over an open fire (fire regs permitting, of course).

You seem to have achieved such a good balance in how you feel about your 'old' and 'new homes. Wishing you continued happiness.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:18 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Kapri. Can't believe it's been a year already
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Good honest update there Kapri.

Hope you all continue to be happy and settled.

Glad the kids settled into school eventually. I think to us mums that's one of our biggest fears of the move.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 3:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

That year went by phenomenally quickly! So glad to hear you are settled.

BB
Old Sep 14th 2014, 2:53 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi all

We have been here a year now, so thought an update would be in order.

My last one was done 3 weeks after arriving, see here http://britishexpats.com/forum/updat...ks-nsw-804781/

Well, a year in and I'm pretty settled. I love Newcastle! I'm close to the Hunter valley vineyards and go there regularly
I'm close to Port Stephens for whale and dolphin watching, and close to Sydney for the Sydney experience without the cost of living.

What a roller coaster of a year though!

My initial views are still valid for the most part.

The good
My favourite things about Australia are the sky, the bush and the weather.

The sky:
Blue during the day, filled with amazing stars at night. I have seen shooting stars and the Milky Way. Amazing cloud formations - I never get tired of the Aussie sky!

The bush: I love the Australian bush; I think it is beautiful. I love the way the sunlight falls on gum trees, casting a golden glow. I love the lush greenery 12 months per year.
I know it may be different in other states, but NSW is green!

The weather: I've never seen so much sun. When it rains here, it absolutely hammers down. It will hammer down for 2-3 days, making everything green and lush and then the sun comes out for weeks on end.

The people: mostly have been great. I work with people who have a great sense of humour and there are plenty of laughs and giggles. I'm so pleased about this as I was led to believe Aussies didn't have a sense of humour!

Both OH and I have settled in work and are happy. The kids have also settled at school, although this did take a few months.

The bad

I had to return to the UK in a hurry in March. My mum had a heart attack and I returned for 3 weeks.
After the first week, when I realised my mum was going to be ok, I relaxed and enjoyed being back.
I didn't like the weather, even though it was reasonably good for the time of year. I just didn't like the grey skies. However; it all felt very familiar and it was great to see family and friends.
I enjoyed being back but I didn't yearn to move back and was happy to return to Aus to be with my OH and kids. I felt slightly unsettled when I returned but it was more that the excitement had worn off, rather than feeling that I wanted to move back to the UK.

The ugly

The graffiti doesn't bother me much now - I hardly see it. There's still a lot more than the UK though. I don't know why? Is it easier to buy spray as a teenager / kid?

Overweight people - huge obesity problem here in the Hunter region.

Overall
I think I'm lucky!
We have settled well but still love our home country. We miss people but don't get excessively homesick, although of course we have our moments.
I've met other expats who are either so homesick they can't enjoy life here, or who slag off the UK.
I feel blessed to love both countries and to be able to see good and bad in both.

For now, Australia suits me and my family

Hey KP x
I pop back in to BE every now and again and it's great to see that you made it out in the end and have such a positive balanced update xxx
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth did I miss this post?? Happy belated Aussieversary- glad you are enjoying life here.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 12:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

We are now permanent residents, which helps us to feel even more settled