And now what?

Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And now what?

Dont worry, she'll be gone at 21 if she is anything like her peers then she can do what she wants with her life, so you only have another 8 years to put up with it!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:12 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Syedney
We did exactly that. We gave her a lot of freedom (in fact she gets away with quite a lot here compared to UK), a phone, a wii, a dsi etc...She was actually quite settled last year...

We did have a heart to heart tonight and it seems she is getting bullied at the high school. Her English accent is marking her out, and she said some friends from public school, mainly Islanders, mock her all the time and push her a lot

We are going to probably put her in another high school somewhere where she has no friends because that is what she feels is best.

We know roughly what we need to do here but God how refreshing and nice to get the same perspective from others. Thanks for the invaluable advice so far

I am going to see that principal who made big statements about how the hgh school has no bullies etc...

Damn, to top it all, all our passports are expiring !!!

Maybe we need to get my daughter to meet up with some Brit girls here. We live in Dee Why so anyone wanting a meet up is welcome.

By the way, I do agree that we should tell her about the cat but my missus is right against it for now.
Just before you go in guns blazing with the Head, do check your daughter has actually told the teachers and what their response is. I was bullied for years and didn't tell anyone.
There may be steps they can take. Dee Why is a nice area and there are some nice kids up that way. The policy in schools is to get a buddy system going with the students when a newbie arrives... I'm not sure getting a new school is necessarily the way to go when you could sort out the issues with the Head... perhaps? Seems your daughter says 'Jump' and you guys are so keen to keep her happy, you say 'How high?' ...
I don't mean to be critical as I'm not walking in your shoes, but sometimes issues have to be faced and you're the adults - she's the child.
Good luck.

PS - kids get over animal deaths so much faster than us adults. Just tell the girl already. If the cat's keeping her attached to the UK, what happens when there's no cat?

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Feb 21st 2011 at 9:14 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent advice by Tiddlypom.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Just before you go in guns blazing with the Head, do check your daughter has actually told the teachers and what their response is. I was bullied for years and didn't tell anyone.
There may be steps they can take. Dee Why is a nice area and there are some nice kids up that way. The policy in schools is to get a buddy system going with the students when a newbie arrives... I'm not sure getting a new school is necessarily the way to go when you could sort out the issues with the Head... perhaps? Seems your daughter says 'Jump' and you guys are so keen to keep her happy, you say 'How high?' ...
I don't mean to be critical as I'm not walking in your shoes, but sometimes issues have to be faced and you're the adults - she's the child.
Good luck.

PS - kids get over animal deaths so much faster than us adults. Just tell the girl already. If the cat's keeping her attached to the UK, what happens when there's no cat?
Dunno, there are some on here who can attest to the nasty bitchiness of the very "nice" north shore girls - I'd be inclined to believe it may well be happening especially if we are talking year 8/9. However, going with all guns blazing rarely works either unfortunately as some of the behaviour is well entrenched and sometimes even enabled.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advices

The missus went and had a word with the high school. They will act on the info...
However, we are still going to put our daughter into the new high school. I think once a situation like that happens, the best thing to do is to move on, and try elsewhere.

It's not just about taking the bullies on etc..But sometimes, best to just move on. Leave the Sh*t behind

Yes, I agree that there are a lot of nice kids around Dee Why and the proof is that even through all that bullying, my daughter did make some lovely Aussie friends, who facebook with her regularly. Their friendship doesn't have to end when my daughter goes to the new high school.

I feel really good that I have aired all this here. Gave me some perspective.

Anyway, we checked out some flights, Sydney to London, for June 30 onwards, and for 2 adults and a child of 12, it seems the prices for all our tickets hover around $7,500!!!

Any inputs is welcome.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
Anyway, we checked out some flights, Sydney to London, for June 30 onwards, and for 2 adults and a child of 12, it seems the prices for all our tickets hover around $7,500!!!
I have just booked our flights back from Melbourne to Paris, flying out on July 1 and coming back August 5. $8,800 for 2 adults and 2 children (3 and 5). I thought that was not too excessive - for that time of year at least. TBH, you'll be hard pushed to find anything mush cheaper after June 15 and before September, at least not with one of the more reputable airlines. If I remember right we paid about the same in 2008 flying at the end of July to London with 1 child and 1 infant
Crazy thing is that out of the $8,800, $1,700 is fuel surcharge

This is with Singapore Airlines. We chose SIA because we like it and so I was prepared to pay a little extra if necessary rather than book with China Eastern or Air Asia. Turns out they are cheaper than Emirates, Malaysian, Air New Zealand, Qatar and Etihad anyway!
Just so that you know though, it looks like the best time to book a flight online with SIA is to book on a Tuesday night at 8pm Melbourne time .

Read on if you're interested in the experiment I conducted

I have been looking at flights for a few weeks now and SIA was the cheapest I could find when I did my search. I always tick the "Search by price +/- 3 days" button when I do the search as you can then see what difference a day makes. It turns out that many of the times I looked, flying on the 30th of June (Thursday) made the flights cheaper by about $600 overall than flying on the 1st of July or the 2nd. Then I noticed that the price also changed if I selected a flight that had a short connection in SG (under 3 hours is more expensive) or a long connection (6 hours and over is cheaper)

When we were finally ready to book last night, I went online after 11pm and all flights, even the Thursday/Wednesday/Sunday ones, were at the higher price! I decided to wait for the morning as this scenario has happened to us before and we figured that when it's daytime in Europe, prices go up. Don't ask me why . This morning, I looked again at about 10. Thursday flights were still up, and I could only get Wednesday or Sunday at the lower price... Then at 11am, Thursday was down again (only on the long connection) but not Friday! And then, wait for it...

at 8 pm tonight, I looked and FRIDAY, SHORT CONNECTION was at the $8,800 price instead of $9,450 Needless to say that I booked the flights there and then since I have better things to do all day and night than check SIA's website every hour! And I bagged myself a saving of about $600, which will pay for our plane/train tickets to the south of France.

The lesson from this story is, check online bookings many times over many days as prices seem to fluctuate depending on the time of day/night.

Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:35 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Dunno, there are some on here who can attest to the nasty bitchiness of the very "nice" north shore girls - I'd be inclined to believe it may well be happening especially if we are talking year 8/9. However, going with all guns blazing rarely works either unfortunately as some of the behaviour is well entrenched and sometimes even enabled.
There are bitchy kids everywhere for certain. :-/
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info elice_in_oz

I did follow your methods and tried few other ones too and the best price I could get was around $6,500 for three adults return Sydney to London (from www.skyscanners.net)

What annoys me is that it seems always to be cheaper to buy the tickets from England, versus buying the tickets here in AU!!!

With the exception of any flights with China airlines.

They always seem to have bargain prices!

Has anyone flown with them?

Rip off!

Half the price too