Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

NOT EVEN 3 MONTHS IN AND SO HOMESICK

NOT EVEN 3 MONTHS IN AND SO HOMESICK

Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:21 am
Just Joined

TereseJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOT EVEN 3 MONTHS IN AND SO HOMESICK

Am also based in QLd. Been here 7 weeks and so far - so VERY good. Happy to have coffee with any other mums/gals out there that may need a boost. We have been very blessed and I am happy to help - even if chatting. We were in Canada for a year before here and was absolute hell (through no fault of Canada). So I have been through some black holes and think I understand. we are on the Sunshine coast, Caloundra. Welcome to send me a PM. Sending lots of love and light to those who need it.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by btazgallacher
Hi ,

Sorry i am hopeless at times with websites like these as i do not find my way back to original info. Just stumbled across yr reply. Things have got soooooo much better now and i have started making friends through work and having good time. my email is [email protected] but put something in the subject as it might end up in junk mail filter. My name is Linda and i am 46 yrs old . Life is on the up . Have some visitors now , a friend of a friend was travelling around oz and needed a place to stay so her and her friend have come to my place and we going out tonight in the city Yeah !!( i do go out most Fridays after work now

The pub called " the lucky shag" on the waterfront and then towards Carnegie s bar.
Just like to say, well done, my heart goes out to people experiencing severe homesickness,, I know , I had it and came bk the UK Hopefully il get strong enough to come bk, but perth this time,, feel like I need to prove to myself I can go for it again and succeed!!!
bluekipper
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

hi bluekipper, nice to hear from you any dates yet??? sorry yo hijack your thread didnt mean to
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Hi Lisa, nice to hear from ya,, nope no dates, still in limbo and scared to take the plunge again,, fear still keeps raising its ugly head for me,haha

seriously tho, if I dont do it soon il kick myself, I know that, just dont know how to get my arse into gear and take the plunge again,,

what date do you get bk to oZ?

bluekipper
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kericare
well we have been here as it says not even 3 months yet and i am feeling so homesick,i know it isnt a long time at all but i already feel i have been here for months,the boys started their school and have been there 4 weeks now,they have had their ups and downs and have cried for their old school and friends which doesnt help me which makes me feel have we done the right thing by taking them away from what they know,i have twins also who are 4 in sept,they loved their old pre-school i have been taking them to day nursery which they are due to start properly next week and the other day they both said they dont like it,i know they are too young to understand what is going on but when we moved into our rental they said to me this isnt our house and when are we going back to our old house ,my little girl talks on her pretend phone to her nan telling her she loves her millions and ask when shes gonna see her,hubby has started work hes getting on ok i think,back in uk he had his own business for 17 yrs and to have to now go and work for someone i feel its very hard for him,we do sit and talk about things and we do say that if we hadnt of come we would have always been saying what if,and always wondering what it would have been like if we hadnt of came here.but i just feel so low and inside i feel im gonna break down,hubbys parent are coming out in sept for 6 weeks which i am really looking forward to that and am counting down the weeks,then for christmas my mum,sister,nan and grandad are coming which i cant wait for,but i know its gonna be even harder yet again and go through all the emotions of saying goodbye when they go back,and they havent even got here yet,i know why we came here for in the first place and that is to give our kids and us a better way of life but its the family and friends you leave behind which makes it so hard,at times i feel i could just get back on the plane and go back home but i know we have to give it time to settle 3 months is nothing to decide to just up and go back,i have heard that people say you have to give it at least a yr to 2 ,and i know there are people that go back and end up realising that they had made a mistake by going back only for them to come back again,we have said that we will give it a yr and then see how we feel.as people have said to me look at it as an adeventure you would have never have known if you never tried it and i do know we are very lucky to be able to have been given the chance to come here as some people want to come here but cant ,i just miss my family and friends so much it hurts does anyone else feel like this
Try to stick it out .We have been here almost 2 years now and it has only been the last 2 months that my wife has really settled down . she says that she now feels happy and settled where as 12 months ago she would have gone back to England a the drop of a hat. No more homesickness and the biggest thing is she no longer is constantly thinking of England and the life she had. Dig in it does get better.
Raven
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TereseJ
Am also based in QLd. Been here 7 weeks and so far - so VERY good. Happy to have coffee with any other mums/gals out there that may need a boost. We have been very blessed and I am happy to help - even if chatting. We were in Canada for a year before here and was absolute hell (through no fault of Canada). So I have been through some black holes and think I understand. we are on the Sunshine coast, Caloundra. Welcome to send me a PM. Sending lots of love and light to those who need it.
would that be at Gloria Jeans. Me and my wife are there about 9 oo every Sat. Cant miss us were the ones on the Harley.
Regards Raven
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

SJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the rough

Hi
Hang in there we have been here just over a year and I remember the first 3 months were the hardest. We don't have children so when OH went of to work in the 2nd week I was lost I was sooo lonely many days I thought I would have to head home. I was so homesick I missed family and friends so much. BUt 1 year later we are doing really well I have to pinch myself that it is all real as we have achieved so much in such a short time. I think back to our life in the UK and I realise how lucky we are.

The first visits from family are hard, my parents came for three months at the beginning of the year and the day they left I cried and cried and cried it brought back all those feelings from when we first arrived but we got on with our lives and now looking forward to welcoming more visitors.

All the best
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicrock
Reading this post was like listening to myself and how I am feeling at the moment. We've only been in Queensland 9 weeks now and it's been a nightmare right from the start with everything that could possible go wrong doing so.

I felt like I was making progress a couple of weeks ago and the aching feeling in my heart was slightly easing. Now I feel like I am back to the beggining and there hasn't been a day that has passed that I havn't cried and felt ill with homesickness. I miss my family and friends so very much and long to see them again.

Lately I have had serious doubts whether this was the right decision to make. Luckily I don't have kids to worry about aswell. My partners working full time and i'm still struggling to get a full time job here. Only working 12 hours at the moment so money is really tight to say the least!

I feel so lonely all the time with noone to talk to but family over the phone. My partner hasn't suffered with homesickness at all and loves it here. It hurts him that he can't help me at all and say's if I ever wanted to go back that he would support me fully with the decision but I know that's not what he wants to do.

We are going to an expats meet in a couple of weeks and i'm hoping to get some encouragement and meet some friends there. I'm still in the frame of mind that I can't cope without my family and support network back home and will have to go back.

I know it's only 9 weeks in and not having a job or social life doesn't help at all. Only time will tell if this was the right decision.

I just pray that this feeling eases soon and I can find happiness here like my partner feels.
Whereabouts are you - there are a few of us who meet for a drink on a Tuesday usually afterwork in Brisbane - let us know, most of us know the feelings you are having and especially me! Still here after six years and happy to listen

If you cannot get to Brissie, contact people on this site at the meets and you are sure to find a helping hand.

Best of luck, do not be too hard on yourslf loads of people experience what you are going through and you need some suport.

You can also pm me and we can chat if you want.

Cheers Sandra
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Whereabouts are you - there are a few of us who meet for a drink on a Tuesday usually afterwork in Brisbane - let us know, most of us know the feelings you are having and especially me! Still here after six years and happy to listen

If you cannot get to Brissie, contact people on this site at the meets and you are sure to find a helping hand.

Best of luck, do not be too hard on yourslf loads of people experience what you are going through and you need some suport.

You can also pm me and we can chat if you want.

Cheers Sandra
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545300
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisaroo
hi bluekipper, nice to hear from you any dates yet??? sorry yo hijack your thread didnt mean to
Hi Lisa

Sorry to but in but I did the same thing, we lived on the Gold Coast - I lasted about 9 months and desperatley wanted to come back. We are now waiting to sell our house (which in this market could take forever) then are going back to the coast, where abouts were you?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shiels
Whereabouts in Queensland are you? C x
Hi, I live in Burleigh Heads now. Do you live close by?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:03 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I live in Burleigh Heads now. Do you live close by?
Sure do x C x

Sent you a PM
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

hi jo and blue,,, we were in currumbin, and we miss it like crazy!!! we dont head back for two years, but are going to same place as we settled really well there, our house goes on the market next year with a view to leave at the end of 2010, seems long way off but it took that long 1st time round from start to finish... it will soon come x lisa
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisaroo
hi jo and blue,,, we were in currumbin, and we miss it like crazy!!! we dont head back for two years, but are going to same place as we settled really well there, our house goes on the market next year with a view to leave at the end of 2010, seems long way off but it took that long 1st time round from start to finish... it will soon come x lisa
Hi Lisa

I love Currumbin, we were in Robina last time, we fancied Mudgereeba or down Currumbin way, my husband worked down Tweed Heads way and liked it there too, a little quieter. I just hope and pray our house sells, we have had it on since the end of October last year and not sold, its scaring me now actually but what can you do. Our visa lasts till 2010 so we have another 18 months to go.

I just feel so sad that I didnt stick it out and now we are in this situation - its like being in limbo.

Good luck

Jo
x
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

ste74 will become famous soon enoughste74 will become famous soon enough

Reading this post was like listening to myself and how I am feeling at the moment. We've only been in Queensland 9 weeks now and it's been a nightmare right from the start with everything that could possible go wrong doing so.

I felt like I was making progress a couple of weeks ago and the aching feeling in my heart was slightly easing. Now I feel like I am back to the beggining and there hasn't been a day that has passed that I havn't cried and felt ill with homesickness. I miss my family and friends so very much and long to see them again.

Lately I have had serious doubts whether this was the right decision to make. Luckily I don't have kids to worry about aswell. My partners working full time and i'm still struggling to get a full time job here. Only working 12 hours at the moment so money is really tight to say the least!

I feel so lonely all the time with noone to talk to but family over the phone. My partner hasn't suffered with homesickness at all and loves it here. It hurts him that he can't help me at all and say's if I ever wanted to go back that he would support me fully with the decision but I know that's not what he wants to do.

We are going to an expats meet in a couple of weeks and i'm hoping to get some encouragement and meet some friends there. I'm still in the frame of mind that I can't cope without my family and support network back home and will have to go back.

I know it's only 9 weeks in and not having a job or social life doesn't help at all. Only time will tell if this was the right decision.

I just pray that this feeling eases soon and I can find happiness here like my partner feels.

Just a quick one.........more Wiganers are on the way to Queensland we are heading up to Mackay in 4-5 weeks, god help em !!!!!!
Must admit I'm worried my wife will feel lonely when we get there, have to do my best to keep her happy.

Hope you start to feel better about it soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.