Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:56 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

G'day all!!!

I recently received this question:

"We recieved a positive trades assessment. I was passed as as a childcare co-ordinator.............can you give me some info as to how the checks work. I know over here that when you get your police checks done that if it is for the first time it can take up to 10 weeks. is it like this in Aus?......Do you arrange these yourself or the employer? I would appreciate any advice you can give me."

My answer:
If you are referring to the working with children check you need a job offer in order to apply. There is a section on this earlier on this thread.
If you are referring to the Police clearance, you can get them from any police station in Australia. If you are in the UK you can send a request to the federal police if you have spent time in Austrlaia. I am not sure of the details but if it is a visa one it is clearly on the information on the government website.

Hope it helps but you really need to be more specific with your question for a more specific answer.

Angie
Old Oct 13th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Originally Posted by kinny71
hi, we're still at the beginning of migrating but dont know which area to live in. i'm a civil servant for the prison service & my partner is a plumber, so we need jobs for these. we have 2 children ages 6 & 12. the 12yr old is a footballer & has just got trials for boston united so he wont move to oz unless we can find a place to match this. i would really like to ba eble to find jobs for us both before arriving. i think theres a prison called casuarina near rockingham. do u know of anyone working there?
kinny
Safety Bay Senior High School has a soccer academy and the kids that are accepted into it are considered quite elitist both within the school and within the soccer community. They have teams that regularly win State Championships.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:22 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunbather
Safety Bay Senior High School has a soccer academy and the kids that are accepted into it are considered quite elitist both within the school and within the soccer community. They have teams that regularly win State Championships.
Thanks I am sure Kinny will appreciate that news if/when they check out this page again.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Hi,

If you're thinking of the Rockingham area, how about having a look at Port Kennedy 10 minutes south of Rockingham? We've been here almost two years and love it. I've found that there is quite a good community atmosphere here. It's not that large - but growing all the time - and property prices aren't completely silly yet. There are three local primary schools in Port Kennedy itself, all of which have a good reputation. Our dd goes to school here and is very happy. Afaik, all of them start at Kindy level. There is quite a large expat community here too - a large part of the area is populated by Brits! We like Rockingham itself, but to live, we're quite happy here in PK.

r12p
Hi
Saw your post about Port Kennedy, can you give us any more info about the area. We are just getting medicals now so almost (fingers crossed) there with the visas.

We are planning on moving to Port Kennedy, looks like I may be working setting up a Pilates studio at the golf club there and my husband is a bricklayer and guessing there will be work about for him....a few questions.

(Hope you don't mind!)

Any areas you recommend/ suggest to avoid. We are hoping to buy some land and my husband will build.....therefore are there many rentals about?

Primary Schools, my duaghter is 4 so i guess she will start school Jan 09....any recommendation and nurseries/ pre school care for her and for my 18 month old.... any recommendations?

Finally (I think) Is there a shopping centre (Coles/ Woolworths near by or do you need to travel to Rockingham)

We visited in march this year and went to Rockingham, but not down to Port Kennedy, but with my work opportunity it seems sensible to be there. Also see there is lots of development going on although not sure exactly whats is/ is not being built (some plan seem tohave been cut....(

Sorry if too many questions...but any info/ opinion greatly appreciated

Sam
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:44 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by Samleeuk
Hi
Saw your post about Port Kennedy, can you give us any more info about the area. We are just getting medicals now so almost (fingers crossed) there with the visas.

We are planning on moving to Port Kennedy, looks like I may be working setting up a Pilates studio at the golf club there and my husband is a bricklayer and guessing there will be work about for him....a few questions.

(Hope you don't mind!)

Any areas you recommend/ suggest to avoid. We are hoping to buy some land and my husband will build.....therefore are there many rentals about?

Primary Schools, my duaghter is 4 so i guess she will start school Jan 09....any recommendation and nurseries/ pre school care for her and for my 18 month old.... any recommendations?

Finally (I think) Is there a shopping centre (Coles/ Woolworths near by or do you need to travel to Rockingham)

We visited in march this year and went to Rockingham, but not down to Port Kennedy, but with my work opportunity it seems sensible to be there. Also see there is lots of development going on although not sure exactly whats is/ is not being built (some plan seem tohave been cut....(

Sorry if too many questions...but any info/ opinion greatly appreciated

Sam
Sam,

Port Kennedy is only 10 min drive from us. There is Warnbro on the way that has a Coles and Woolworth, other than that Port Kennedy has dancing at the community centre on a Thursday night. I dont know much about the shops there, but they do have a Bunnings and Coli (similar to Homebase), Charity shops, tyre place, furniture shops galore, bed shop, Harvey Norman. I'm just not sure about supermarket, but there must be one. I know that Warnbro will only be 5-10 min drive and that has both. I will find out anything else I can from local friends.

Schools I really dont know but it is near enough that you could look at the Rockingham schools for information. Perhaps Google Port Kennedy and see what comes up. You might also want to check with the tourist info. I am sure they must have a site.

Safety Bay is also only 5-10 min drive from Port Kennedy.

Hope that helps.

Angie
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markrj
Sam,

Port Kennedy is only 10 min drive from us. There is Warnbro on the way that has a Coles and Woolworth, other than that Port Kennedy has dancing at the community centre on a Thursday night. I dont know much about the shops there, but they do have a Bunnings and Coli (similar to Homebase), Charity shops, tyre place, furniture shops galore, bed shop, Harvey Norman. I'm just not sure about supermarket, but there must be one. I know that Warnbro will only be 5-10 min drive and that has both. I will find out anything else I can from local friends.

Schools I really dont know but it is near enough that you could look at the Rockingham schools for information. Perhaps Google Port Kennedy and see what comes up. You might also want to check with the tourist info. I am sure they must have a site.

Safety Bay is also only 5-10 min drive from Port Kennedy.

Hope that helps.

Angie
Thanks for that, any info is great...... Sam
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

rileyinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

I have been in Australia for 6 weeks and have just settled (completed) on a house in Rockingham. My wife and I got a mortgage without having jobs and using a friends address for correspondance. Although we had a reasonable deposit we couldn't have done it without the help of the Mortgage Gallery on Railway terrace (Rockingham foreshore). They we fantastic, I would recommend them to anyone who wishes to buy instead of renting and giving your savings to someone else!!

Ask for James Eaves. Tel 08 952 71800.

Tip. Look for black lines on the roads - if there are loads, expect boyracers (Hoons) day and night.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:21 am
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We've heard so many good things about the Rockingham area that when we arrive in Jan we're heading down there to look for a place to rent.

I am most likely to find work in Perth city though so was wondering what the commute is like from Rockingham to Perth:

*Is that new rail link in yet, and what's that like in terms of time it takes to get to Perth (advertised at 30 mins?)?
*What's the parking like at the Rockingham station?
*Train prices (do they do week/month etc passes?)?
*If I don't use the train, what's the morning and evening car commutes like between Perth and Rockingham, in terms of time?

I just want to get a heads up on whether it's a feasible commute before renting.

Many thanks !!

Matt

Last edited by DMH; Nov 25th 2007 at 5:27 am.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:59 am
Just Joined

mac_addict is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Angie,
I'm fairly new to the boards and just found your post regarding Rockingham. We had two and a half weeks in Rockingham, stayed with family near the shops (Warnbro Sound) We loved the area so much we decided to emigrate. I am still a little way from moving and awaiting medicals at the moment. I would like to add you as a buddy if I may, and perhaps contact you further in the future. Hope you enjoying you new life there.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DMH
Hi all,

We've heard so many good things about the Rockingham area that when we arrive in Jan we're heading down there to look for a place to rent.

I am most likely to find work in Perth city though so was wondering what the commute is like from Rockingham to Perth:

*Is that new rail link in yet, and what's that like in terms of time it takes to get to Perth (advertised at 30 mins?)?
*What's the parking like at the Rockingham station?
*Train prices (do they do week/month etc passes?)?
*If I don't use the train, what's the morning and evening car commutes like between Perth and Rockingham, in terms of time?

I just want to get a heads up on whether it's a feasible commute before renting.

Many thanks !!

Matt
We live in Mandurah about another 15/20 minutes drive south of Rockingham.
The railway went live yesterday and we dragged ourselves down there to give it a test run (it starts from mandurah). The service seems quite good and your trip by train would be about 35 mins to central perth( murry street). Unless you live very close to the station a car/bus/ bike ride will be involved. there is quite a large parking area at Warnbro station(south end of rockingham-safty bay) and it seems most stations but because no one knows how many people will use it, it is difficult to know how busy it will be.

Do a google on "transperth" they have all the info including tickets. They seem to operate a similar scheme to Londons oyster card.

The car commute is beter than London but there is slow traffic the closer you get to Perth.

Bruce
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:20 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to arriving in Rockingham soon.

Dave
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We are emigrating between June and September this year and have the following questions, if anyone can answer them?

Safety Bay Snr High School - does this have / still have a good reputation? My eldest son will enter year 11 or 12 next year (his DOB is 21.12.91) so I'm not sure entirely sure which year he'll go into . He's very sporty - into football (soccer academy sounds good at SB) but he's especially into cricket as he plays for Bucks County here in the UK.

Which primary school(s) feed into Safety Bay?

Our youngest two will be 11 and a half and almost 8 years old by the time we move over, will they both be in primary?

Thanks for any advice.

Karen x
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:27 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Hi

We are emigrating between June and September this year and have the following questions, if anyone can answer them?

Safety Bay Snr High School - does this have / still have a good reputation? My eldest son will enter year 11 or 12 next year (his DOB is 21.12.91) so I'm not sure entirely sure which year he'll go into . He's very sporty - into football (soccer academy sounds good at SB) but he's especially into cricket as he plays for Bucks County here in the UK.

Our youngest two will be 11 and a half and almost 8 years old by the time we move over, will they both be in primary?

Thanks for any advice.

Karen x

My son attends Safety Bay and will be going into year 11 in Feb....he was born in 1992 so i think that means your son will go into yr 12...but i mught be wrong!!
We have no complaints about the school or soccer academy
I think Cricket is big at Rockingham high school....Sunbather will know so ask her!!!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SalSa
My son attends Safety Bay and will be going into year 11 in Feb....he was born in 1992 so i think that means your son will go into yr 12...but i mught be wrong!!
We have no complaints about the school or soccer academy
I think Cricket is big at Rockingham high school....Sunbather will know so ask her!!!
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll try and get our son into year 11 as we'll be moving over almost at the end of the school year so I'm sure it will be beneficial for him to have a whole year in year 12 in 2009 - what happens after they have finished year 12?

I've not heard as many good things about Rockingham as I have about Safety Bay, then again things change so it may have a better reputation now than a few years back, I'll ask Sunbather. Thank you.

Karen x
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Hi

Thanks for any advice.

Karen x
Your 2 younger children should both still be in primary when you arrive.

Primary feeds into the High Schools is not too rigid as the schools offer different programmes and accept that some people will travel to get into the correct programme. I do however think that Safety Bay has a better name than Rockingham. A very good primary that will feed into either Safety Bay, Comet Bay, Warnbro High and possibly Rockingham is Settlers Primary school in Baldivis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.