Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:27 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Is anyone going to the british expats get together advertised on meetup.com this Sunday.

Angie
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:45 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

Thank you very much to someone on the other thread who put me right about where the Peel Region is. I should have known it is just down the road. I did think it might be connected to the Peel Inlet but wasn't sure.

I have been to Mandrah a couple of times, they have a very nice fish and chip shop overlooking the canals, dolphins visit the canals regularly, and they have a cruise on the canals, I would advise anyone to go on the smaller boat as we were on the big one and it couldn't get under the bridge.

Angie
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:50 am
Rocko since Feb 07

PEEL REGION

Thanks St Georges Girl who has given a website for you to look at properties on. It is
www.realestate.com.au

Hope that helps

Angie
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Originally Posted by markrj
Debbie/ Babyboo asked the following and others have asked several similar questions so for all of you, I hope this helps.

SCHOOLS QUESTION
We want to know about Schools- Rockingham Beach Primary School doesnt appear to have a website but i found one for Rockingham lakes Primary School and do like the look of it but its in Port Kennedy so a bit far really, sorry to be cheeky but have you heard any good reports about local primary schools please? And do they have after school clubs? Just incase i can only find work with hours that dont suite school hours,

ANSWER
I have no children myself and have asked a friend with grown up children and these are some that they consider to be good schools.

Primary schools: (PUBLIC)
Hillman primary - good reputation
Charthouse primary - good reputation
Rockingham beach primary - good reputation

(PRIVATE) both for kindy to age 17.
Maranatha Christian college tel: +618 9528 2838
Tranby College: +618 9524 2424

The good Schools that she told me are locally are:
Safety Bay Senior High - Public
Rockingham Senior High - Public
Kolbe Catholic school - Not sure
Christchurch Grammar (Boys) - Private
Methodist Ladies College (Girls) - Private

After school clubs I have no idea - some schools have daycare if you need kids to be at school late.

Kids start school at 5 years old here.
4 year olds go to Kindy part time maximum.

You pay something towards even the government schools here, and you buy the books and pencils etc.

CHILDCARE QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDING WWCC.

NVQ level 3 - As far as I know it is recognised, I think that its probably the same NVQ that is offered over here at Rockingham Tafe - You would need to check.

WWCC - To work with children in WA you need a working with children check.

CRB- The CRB isn't recognised but I found an agency that would accept it until I could get the working with chilldren check, especially since it was only a few months old.

FEDERAL POLICE CHECK- You can get a federal police clearance which can only help but again I would say the more up to date when you want work the better. I used the one I had to have for the visa, the immigration person I spoke to gave me the original back once the visa had all been sorted out as they scan everything in.

FIRST AID CERT - It seems to depend on which agency you want to work for as to which first aid cert they will accept. Many acknowledge that the Paediatric is better than the one that they require, but still cant let you work on it. It would make a lot of sence to get then St John ambulance senior first aid once you get here. I dont know if they offer the same course in the UK or not.

RENT OR BUY
We didn't have problems getting a rental because he only wanted to rent it for 6 months and no-one else wanted it, but have heard horror stories about others getting rentals especially at the moment. From our experience the standard of rental accomodation here is not as good as it is in the UK. We were paying $170 a week for a small furnished 2 bed unit 4 streets from the beach. We tried to get another rental and every one that we could afford (up to $200 a week) there was fights over, there were several applications for the one we wanted and someone else got it. It actually worked in our favour. We had a property where the oven wouldn't cook a pizza for $170. There are ways we could have got the owner to do things but I really didn't want the hassle of going to court over this and the owner let us out of our 6 month contract instead.

We have just bought a place. We paid under $300k but the house needs serious renovation, a new kitchen, bathroom, electrics etc. etc. You can get a house all done for 330K but property prices and mortgage rates are both on the way up.

Hope that helps everyone with all the questions that I have been asked.

Angie
Hello Angie
Thankyou very much for the reply, it was extremely informative!!
You have really put my mind at ease regarding issues i was unsure about, now with your replies and further searches i feel i have all the answers i need, Glad to see you have settled well, and lovely to see your updates and words of advice, that help so many people like us, thankyou,
Debbie
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:29 am
Just Joined

lucy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

If anyone has any questions about our area please feel free to PM us. We don't check as often at moment as in process of buying house and moving in 3-4 weeks. I am always happy to tell everyone about anything that we know about or can easily find in our local library.

We emigrated in November 2006, and travelled for a few months before deciding to settle in Rockingham/Perth area. We ended up in Rockingham quite by mistake and love it.

Within a week of getting interviews my husband had a 3 month contract in IT. His contract was going to be extended but he got a permanent job in the week leading up to the renewal. He therefore finished one job on the friday and started a new one on Tuesday (we were away the monday)

We fit in well with our community and the fact that we live in Units is a bonus, we spend much more time with our neighbours than I am sure we would in permanent accomodation.

I work in Childcare and would be most welcome to help anyone overcome the working with children check issues that I had. PM me if you are unsure on this.

Anyway hope that this is of some help to anyone looking at South of Perth.

Angie
HI ANGIE, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE DUE TO MOVE TO PERTH IN A FEW MONTHS I HOLD A NNEB DIPLOMA AND AM KEEN TO START WORK AGAIN I HAVE NO IDEA OF THE WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THIS THANKS.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:47 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by lucy1
HI ANGIE, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE DUE TO MOVE TO PERTH IN A FEW MONTHS I HOLD A NNEB DIPLOMA AND AM KEEN TO START WORK AGAIN I HAVE NO IDEA OF THE WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THIS THANKS.
Hi there Lucy

1. You will need to find your way to get the working with children check.

2. Try contacting the agencies, they mainly deal with Nanny work but may well be able to point you in the right direction for working in a daycare centre

3. Try www.seek.com

The only advice I can really give you is get online and get in touch with several employment agencies such as mother hen I only have their tel no: 08 9240 2788, Mrs Doubtfire www.mrsd.com.au I think, they are the two Nanny agencies that I use.

There are others out there Carolines angels, I know nothing about them.

Cherished Cherubs are extremely low payers.

Hope that helps

Angie
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:49 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Question Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

All,

I have someone asking about Coogee. I know that it has a nice beach and that one side of the hill is better (re: wind) does anyone know any more than this.

Thanks

Angie
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

lucy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Lucy

1. You will need to find your way to get the working with children check.

2. Try contacting the agencies, they mainly deal with Nanny work but may well be able to point you in the right direction for working in a daycare centre

3. Try www.seek.com

The only advice I can really give you is get online and get in touch with several employment agencies such as mother hen I only have their tel no: 08 9240 2788, Mrs Doubtfire www.mrsd.com.au I think, they are the two Nanny agencies that I use.

There are others out there Carolines angels, I know nothing about them.

Cherished Cherubs are extremely low payers.

Hope that helps

Angie
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY HAVE YOU HEARD OF ABD NURSERIES ?
REGARDS LUCY
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:38 am
Rocko since Feb 07

I just thought I would update our update!!!

We have a 3 year old Labrador X dog, and have just joined the dog club to make more friends.

Does anyone want a meetup if I arrange it?

Angie
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:04 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby takes our dog to the training club on a Sunday - is that the same club??
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

kinny71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

If anyone has any questions about our area please feel free to PM us. We don't check as often at moment as in process of buying house and moving in 3-4 weeks. I am always happy to tell everyone about anything that we know about or can easily find in our local library.

We emigrated in November 2006, and travelled for a few months before deciding to settle in Rockingham/Perth area. We ended up in Rockingham quite by mistake and love it.

Within a week of getting interviews my husband had a 3 month contract in IT. His contract was going to be extended but he got a permanent job in the week leading up to the renewal. He therefore finished one job on the friday and started a new one on Tuesday (we were away the monday)

We fit in well with our community and the fact that we live in Units is a bonus, we spend much more time with our neighbours than I am sure we would in permanent accomodation.

I work in Childcare and would be most welcome to help anyone overcome the working with children check issues that I had. PM me if you are unsure on this.

Anyway hope that this is of some help to anyone looking at South of Perth.

Angie
hi, we're still at the beginning of migrating but dont know which area to live in. i'm a civil servant for the prison service & my partner is a plumber, so we need jobs for these. we have 2 children ages 6 & 12. the 12yr old is a footballer & has just got trials for boston united so he wont move to oz unless we can find a place to match this. i would really like to ba eble to find jobs for us both before arriving. i think theres a prison called casuarina near rockingham. do u know of anyone working there?
kinny
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have settled well. Good luck in your new lives!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:45 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Hubby takes our dog to the training club on a Sunday - is that the same club??
Hi Gobbyjock

I think so what is hubbies name and what dog type and name, we are meeting lots of new people there, it would be good to know who you both are.

Angie
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:47 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by kinny71
hi, we're still at the beginning of migrating but dont know which area to live in. i'm a civil servant for the prison service & my partner is a plumber, so we need jobs for these. we have 2 children ages 6 & 12. the 12yr old is a footballer & has just got trials for boston united so he wont move to oz unless we can find a place to match this. i would really like to ba eble to find jobs for us both before arriving. i think theres a prison called casuarina near rockingham. do u know of anyone working there?
kinny
Unfortunately not. Our circle of friends is very small at the moment, we are getting out and about to meet more people.

Angie
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

All,

I have someone asking about Coogee. I know that it has a nice beach and that one side of the hill is better (re: wind) does anyone know any more than this.

Thanks

Angie
Hi all,

its me who wanted to know about Coogee. Just for anyone else, i have found a site on the massive development they are building there.

www.portcoogee.com.au

This is a very nice site, and shows what the area will (hopefully) look like in 5 years time.

also Google Cockburn for the local council website, that has loads of info on the area too.

Coogee is just 10 minutes south of Fremantle and 15 minutes north of Rockingham and right on the beach.

Hope that helps somebody else.

Becky and Co xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.