Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Hi there .Came to Oz in 1971 with my family

Hi there .Came to Oz in 1971 with my family

Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice
Default Hi there .Came to Oz in 1971 with my family

Hi there all My name is sandra

Just wanted to say hello. & introduce myself. I came out with my family to Australia in 1971 from london England. We paid our own fares out here & came over then on a russian ship called the Rustavalie I think A russian ship. I was 20 at the time with a sister of 16. We toured around alittle at first seeing different states.

We lived in Sydney for abit Dee why .& st Ives. But my father then did not like the business of it coming from London. So we came up to Queensland. after a couple of years. the weather was good here

We have been here for over 40 years. My family have all settled down & love it. of course it takes time to settle in.

I am married now & have one daughter live in Brisbane have a nice house with a pool & 3 dogs. I did go back to England with my sister after being here 4 years we went back for a holiday on a crusie ship then. alot cheaper in those days.

It was nice going back. But I new I could have a better life here in Australia.

I still miss london & pie & mash But we have great weather here. well we did till we got all the rain what we have just been having. I love to watch the east enders everynight. And miss the English accent.

if anyone whats any info just ask me.

bye sandra
Old Mar 7th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Kristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hi there .Came to Oz in 1971 with my family

Lovely post Sandra,

You'll surely have plenty of advice for those yet to take the plunge

Emigrating certainly was different in past years - A Russian ship called the Rustavalie - wow! Far removed from today's experience. It must have been quite an adventure
Old Mar 7th 2008, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pommie Aussie
Hi there all My name is sandra

Just wanted to say hello. & introduce myself. I came out with my family to Australia in 1971 from london England. We paid our own fares out here & came over then on a russian ship called the Rustavalie I think A russian ship. I was 20 at the time with a sister of 16. We toured around alittle at first seeing different states.

We lived in Sydney for abit Dee why .& st Ives. But my father then did not like the business of it coming from London. So we came up to Queensland. after a couple of years. the weather was good here

We have been here for over 40 years. My family have all settled down & love it. of course it takes time to settle in.

I am married now & have one daughter live in Brisbane have a nice house with a pool & 3 dogs. I did go back to England with my sister after being here 4 years we went back for a holiday on a crusie ship then. alot cheaper in those days.

It was nice going back. But I new I could have a better life here in Australia.

I still miss london & pie & mash But we have great weather here. well we did till we got all the rain what we have just been having. I love to watch the east enders everynight. And miss the English accent.

if anyone whats any info just ask me.

bye sandra
Nice to hear your experience. The weather in QLD for us was great when we visited last week. Was expecting floods
Have to say the East side of OZ is fab.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kristo
Lovely post Sandra,

You'll surely have plenty of advice for those yet to take the plunge

Emigrating certainly was different in past years - A Russian ship called the Rustavalie - wow! Far removed from today's experience. It must have been quite an adventure

Hi Kristo

yes it was a great trip then. Oh we had our up & downs when we first came over. getting used to a different country then. And missing certain foods. Like Ok sauce And my pie & mash e.t.c Its just all a different life syle. The weather bought my father out here.

Funny looking back when I was younger said id never marry an Aussie & what do I marry an Aussie He once got told what part of the England was he from Ha Ha . I still hope Ive got alittle accent left thou.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hello sandra & welcome to BE.
Lovely to read your post, took you long enough
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there sallyclare

Thank you.yes the time just flew by
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there sallyclare

Thank you.yes the time just flew by
Well, I had heard that things are a bit more laid back in Oz!

Do you think that life in Oz has changed very much in the years that you have been there?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi There sallyclaire.

Oh yes it has changed we were down the Gold cost saturday havent been down there for a couple of years. so Much building going on & development.

Years ago there was 2 lanes going down the coast now its 5. I love the coast thou. The sunshine coast I love better alot more quiet & slower pace. I love caloundra up there.

My daughter is just moving out of home for the first time soon & its really hard to get a rental here at presant she works in Brisbane so is looking for something around Indooroopilly area. there is 20 or more people going up after the same unit. You have to put in applications now. never heard of that befor.

Its still very layed back here. But have to say busier then years ago.

Hows things there ?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi There sallyclaire.

Oh yes it has changed we were down the Gold cost saturday havent been down there for a couple of years. so Much building going on & development.

Years ago there was 2 lanes going down the coast now its 5. I love the coast thou. The sunshine coast I love better alot more quiet & slower pace. I love caloundra up there.

My daughter is just moving out of home for the first time soon & its really hard to get a rental here at presant she works in Brisbane so is looking for something around Indooroopilly area. there is 20 or more people going up after the same unit. You have to put in applications now. never heard of that befor.

Its still very layed back here. But have to say busier then years ago.

Hows things there ?
Blimey, 20 people after a rental

We are very fortunate to live on the Dorset/Wiltshire border & it is lovely. We lived in London until 2000, couldn't go back there though, too frenetic!
Weather is as British as always, very variable & our main topic of conversation!
Cost of living seems to be spiralling at the mo too! Diesel £1.13 per litre today:curse:
Nowhere is perfect though
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again.

Oh Dorset is Beautiful. I love the English country side & the little pubs with there cheese platters. Its so pretty.

Wow that is exspensive for petrol. ours is $1.30 & we are moaning. :curse::curse:

Yes its made big head lines about the rental crisis here. They need to open up alot more land & build. We have had alot of interest rate rises as well.

I still miss all the history side of England all those old castles & things.

Thou as you say no where is perfect.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi again.

Oh Dorset is Beautiful. I love the English country side & the little pubs with there cheese platters. Its so pretty.

Wow that is exspensive for petrol. ours is $1.30 & we are moaning. :curse::curse:

Yes its made big head lines about the rental crisis here. They need to open up alot more land & build. We have had alot of interest rate rises as well.

I still miss all the history side of England all those old castles & things.

Thou as you say no where is perfect.
I think that unfortunately, our English heritage is something that we completely take for granted, likewise art galleries etc etc.
My husband is Irish & we have never been over to Ireland together & really ought to take the boys before we (hopefully) make the move to Oz but there are many places we should see!

Is your price for petrol for a litre or gallon? Don't laugh at me!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Blimey, 20 people after a rental

We are very fortunate to live on the Dorset/Wiltshire border & it is lovely. We lived in London until 2000, couldn't go back there though, too frenetic!
Weather is as British as always, very variable & our main topic of conversation!
Cost of living seems to be spiralling at the mo too! Diesel £1.13 per litre today:curse:
Nowhere is perfect though
Diesel was £1.19 up in Penrith last week, it's supposed to be going up further in the next couple of weeks too according to the times on friday!!!
Roll on Oz
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I think that unfortunately, our English heritage is something that we completely take for granted, likewise art galleries etc etc.
My husband is Irish & we have never been over to Ireland together & really ought to take the boys before we (hopefully) make the move to Oz but there are many places we should see!

Is your price for petrol for a litre or gallon? Don't laugh at me!

Litre

(I think )
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
Litre

(I think )
Thanks Wendy!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wendy

$1.30 Au Dollars a litre Sorry to say.

Oh yes do see as much as you can of the history side& Galleries. You do take it all for granted.

What part do you think you will come to ??.

Cheers sandra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.