Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

My journey so far - from "thinking about it" to 189 Grant Notification!

My journey so far - from "thinking about it" to 189 Grant Notification!

Old Dec 30th 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Smile My journey so far - from "thinking about it" to 189 Grant Notification!

I just wanted to share my journey to date...

Back in March 2009 I decided I would like a change from London and the UK, and that I would like to move to Australia. At the time I had no experience, nor training, in any of the skilled occupations in demand.

I started researching the professions listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL), with a view to find a pathway for gaining a permanent resident visa.

In the end I decided to re-train as an occupational therapist. I started a three year B.Sc. degree in September 2010. Whilst completing this degree, I came to realise that I was not just undertaking this to acquire a 189 Visa... I was very much enjoying it and I would also like to do this for a living.

In June this year I graduated from my course, and in the autumn I lodged an EoI. The invite to apply came three weeks later, and I lodged the visa a week after that.

And today my 189 Visa has been granted! My last date of entry to Australia is the 17 December 2014.

I feel very excited about the journey ahead. It has been almost four years since I first set this in motion, and I can now start really preparing and planning for the big move.
Can't wait!
Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My journey so far - from "thinking about it" to 189 Grant Notification!

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
I just wanted to share my journey to date...

Back in March 2009 I decided I would like a change from London and the UK, and that I would like to move to Australia. At the time I had no experience, nor training, in any of the skilled occupations in demand.

I started researching the professions listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL), with a view to find a pathway for gaining a permanent resident visa.

In the end I decided to re-train as an occupational therapist. I started a three year B.Sc. degree in September 2010. Whilst completing this degree, I came to realise that I was not just undertaking this to acquire a 189 Visa... I was very much enjoying it and I would also like to do this for a living.

In June this year I graduated from my course, and in the autumn I lodged an EoI. The invite to apply came three weeks later, and I lodged the visa a week after that.

And today my 189 Visa has been granted! My last date of entry to Australia is the 17 December 2014.

I feel very excited about the journey ahead. It has been almost four years since I first set this in motion, and I can now start really preparing and planning for the big move.
Can't wait!
Congratulations on the visa PT
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Panda22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My journey so far - from "thinking about it" to 189 Grant Notification!

Hi there,

I'd love to find out more about your journey, as I myself am thinking of doing the same. I've tried to PM you, but unfortunately the system won't allow me. Could I ask what state you're going to and if you needed any actual work experience? thank u :-)
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panda22
Hi there,

I'd love to find out more about your journey, as I myself am thinking of doing the same. I've tried to PM you, but unfortunately the system won't allow me. Could I ask what state you're going to and if you needed any actual work experience? thank u :-)
Requirements vary depending on which visa, and if its State Sponsored, which State.

Start with www.immi.gov.au
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Congratulations on the visa PT
Thank you!

Hi there,

You may need to post in a few more threads before you are able to send PMs?

I did not apply for state sponsorship and have not decided where to move to yet. I did look into Victorian state sponsorship (190 visa) and they do require ten years experience for occupational therapist, but for other professions they tend to ask for two years. Luckily in the end I never needed to apply for state sponsorship, I had enough points to lodge an application for the 189.
How do you currently score for points?
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your visa! An exciting start to the new year....
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

How do you currently score for points?
I'll be 43 when I leave university, so to get enough points for a 190 visa, state sponsorship is my only option. I'm looking at South Australia, but I thought I'd read somewhere that you need 3 years work experience (for occupational therapy for SA) - I could be wrong though.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

I'll be 43 when I leave university, so to get enough points for a 190 visa, state sponsorship is my only option. I'm looking at South Australia, but I thought I'd read somewhere that you need 3 years work experience (for occupational therapy for SA) - I could be wrong though.
It looks like SA may ask for 1 year of work experience:

https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/104:
"7.1 The general requirement is one year of skilled work experience in the past three years."

Occupational therapist is listed as High availability so hopefully falls under this general requirement.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I appreciate that information.

Good luck with your adventure - keep us updated!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Misstatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: My journey so far - from "thinking about it" to 189 Grant Notification!

https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/104:
"7.1 The general requirement is one year of skilled work experience in the past three years."

Occupational therapist is listed as High availability so hopefully falls under this general requirement.
Hi there, just came across your post and wondered how you are getting on? Are you still moving next month and where are you planning to go? I'm an OT too and my 190 was granted this week. Have you sorted a job or will you do that when you arrive? I've heard of people struggling to find jobs due to the supervised practise and ahpra registration process and hope that in reality it will be straight forward.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Misstatt
Hi there, just came across your post and wondered how you are getting on? Are you still moving next month and where are you planning to go? I'm an OT too and my 190 was granted this week. Have you sorted a job or will you do that when you arrive? I've heard of people struggling to find jobs due to the supervised practise and ahpra registration process and hope that in reality it will be straight forward.
Yes flight is booked for next Monday August 4th, so very excited. The requirement that you need to have found an employer willing to supervise you, before you file your application for registration, is a pain... especially as all employers ask that applicants are AHPRA registered when they apply! Although I will apply for Grade 1 positions once on the ground, I think a realistic expectation is to have to work as a therapy assistant initially.

I am not so sure the path to working as an OT is that straightforward, but will give it a try. I know of one OT from my trust who went out to Melbourne a month or so ago; she decided before she left the UK that she the whole registration process was too cumbersome, and is now working as a nanny instead.

Which state will you be moving to?

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to "talk more OT"
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Yes flight is booked for next Monday August 4th, so very excited. The requirement that you need to have found an employer willing to supervise you, before you file your application for registration, is a pain... especially as all employers ask that applicants are AHPRA registered when they apply! Although I will apply for Grade 1 positions once on the ground, I think a realistic expectation is to have to work as a therapy assistant initially.

I am not so sure the path to working as an OT is that straightforward, but will give it a try. I know of one OT from my trust who went out to Melbourne a month or so ago; she decided before she left the UK that she the whole registration process was too cumbersome, and is now working as a nanny instead.

Which state will you be moving to?

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to "talk more OT"

Hi how are you getting on since you arrived? I can't PM yet as not enough posts on here. Where are you living? Have you started looking for work yet or are you still exploring and settling in?!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Misstatt
Hi how are you getting on since you arrived? I can't PM yet as not enough posts on here. Where are you living? Have you started looking for work yet or are you still exploring and settling in?!
You have enough posts now
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You have enough posts now

Yippee thanks