British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   moved back and not loving it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/moved-back-not-loving-523161/)

lisaroo Mar 20th 2008 11:07 am

moved back and not loving it

hi, i am new on here like many of you and have been back in uk since middle of nov after spending 15 months in oz. we decided to come home after my oh dad decided to announce he was retiring from the family bussiness just 3 mnths after we left, which at that time as you can imagine i was going through my homesickness stage also being 3 mths pregnant with 3rd baby.so i pounced on this oppurtunity and told oh that i wanted to return and him take over bussiness, by this time we had already bought our own house in our dream suburb by the coast that needed reno, but it was all systems go and told all close family the 'good news!'.\ the wierdest thing happend that day as soon as we had spread the news i had this feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach,i ignored this for a while and carried on life as normal until my brother announced he was a dad 4 1st time i felt so upset that i was yet again back to missing out! decided that we would return to uk aug 08 as dad was ret in apr 09, my hubby was not wanting to go too soon! came home on hols aug07, fantantic as we drove up the m4 thought im home, tesco,pubs, welsh countryside little bit of sunshine bliss, for 2 weeks! then that was enough still had another 2 to go weather was crap seen everyone been everywher we missed, then what? started counting down the days to go 'home', i was really scared by now and when we did nget back to oz it hit us hard of how we didnt seem to want to fit back in to our old life any more, my 6 yr old was settled nin currumbin st school which he had lots of lovely mates, as did we who were very pleased to see us back, my 1 year old went back to barefoot, great.finished house and back to uk to try and make a go of it anyway but all nis not great, bought a fantastic house in lovely area, hubby takes over bus in 11 days so gonna make some decent money BUT its not enough anymore and especially me who at moment is a stay at home mum cant take kids anywhere unless you pay for it or too wet /cold kids are moaning they want to go tobeach/waterpark............ anyway planning to make as much money as poss andb return to oyr beloved currumbin just b4 visa expires march 2011 thank god hope i can last that long!!!!!!!!!!!

moneypenny20 Mar 20th 2008 11:13 am

Re: moved back and not loving it

Currumbin is certainly special so I can understand the need to return. Did you sell your house here or rent it out? I guess you just have to pretend you are going through the visa process and how long that can take. I hope the time passes quickly and you either get back or you find you're settled and happy in the UK.

rocket01 Mar 20th 2008 11:14 am

So money came 1st then?

Nikki.P Mar 20th 2008 11:19 am

Hi there. I'm really sorry to hear that you've moved back and it isn't what you thought or wanted it to be. Silver lining is that you know for sure where you want to be now and that you will be in a position to move back to Oz sometime in the next year or two. For some people a holiday back to the UK is enough to make their minds up and for others they have to move back to realise it. But for some, and we would be in this group, we just wouldn't be able to afford to ping pong (not with a wee scraggy mutt who we just couldn't leave :)) I hope the next wee while goes well for you and you get back to Perth sooner rather than later. All the best. Nikki

moneypenny20 Mar 20th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by rocket01 (Post 6088395)
So money came 1st then?

I don't think that's necessary and certainly not how I read it. Homesickness, peoplesickness and a family business sound like good enough reasons to me, whether they end up being the wrong reasons or not.

lisaroo Mar 20th 2008 11:40 am

So money came 1st then?

at first it wasnt about money, just homesickness but then we realised we could have best of both may be? we were talking about going back to oz b4 we even left, our kids are very young eldest 6 and hopefully we can have both.

lisaroo Mar 20th 2008 11:45 am

we now actually realise that even though to a family of 5 money is important it isnt our whole world and are not willing to give up on our lovely life that we had for it, wish i had known there had been some people to talk to like yourselves for reassurance in the beginning as i probably wouldnt be sitting here in the house typing this maybe, by the time we realised it was too late, we havnt told anyone our intentions yet as it would only upset them all too soon, but i think theyt already know!!!!!!

lisaroo Mar 20th 2008 11:48 am

:)our lovely home in currumbin sold 21st jan, and some other lucky bugger now gets to enjoy it, hope they love it as much as us.

ausi dream Mar 20th 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by lisaroo (Post 6088530)
:)our lovely home in currumbin sold 21st jan, and some other lucky bugger now gets to enjoy it, hope they love it as much as us.

We did exactly the same, we are in the process of sorting things out to go at the moment. We were supposed to have left and been in Brisbane by march 08, but things fell through at the last min (jobs),and my dream house which i wanted to buy to renovate is now on the market to be sold. They gave us the details before hand to look at and now am too late as they insist in a viewing first.

biggy Mar 20th 2008 12:31 pm

So money came 1st then?

dont be a prat

lisaroo Mar 20th 2008 12:48 pm

what do you mean?

biggy Mar 20th 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by lisaroo (Post 6088747)
what do you mean?

not you pet rocket01

lisaroo Mar 20th 2008 12:54 pm

at least you'l be back ther soon we have to wait about 3 years but iwaited that long the first time anyway im only 30 so im not panicking to much, which is an achievement for me, even bought hubby a crate of vb for his birthday on sat, couldnt wait so gave it to him yesterday, my 6 year old thinks that it came all the way from oz especially for daddy on a plane from currumbin surf club, im not that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIBBY Mar 20th 2008 12:57 pm

It gets under your skin doesnt it....the Ozzy life

Ping ponged, not once, but twice and now saving up like mad idiots to go again:huh:

We came back twice because of emotional rubbish and nothing changed and now we need to do what it right for ourselves.....

I just wish it didnt cost so much.

Oh and no one knows of our intentions either.....its going to destroy my Mum:(

mark 'n' joe Mar 20th 2008 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by lisaroo (Post 6088777)
at least you'l be back ther soon we have to wait about 3 years but iwaited that long the first time anyway im only 30 so im not panicking to much, which is an achievement for me, even bought hubby a crate of vb for his birthday on sat, couldnt wait so gave it to him yesterday, my 6 year old thinks that it came all the way from oz especially for daddy on a plane from currumbin surf club, im not that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arr bless. Sorry to hear things arent as expected. All the best. Make the most of the time here. You are still young enough to make it work the next time round.

Joex