Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Making friends in a choir - One story - and an invite ;)

Making friends in a choir - One story - and an invite ;)

Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Making friends in a choir - One story - and an invite ;)

Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I wrote an update on my journey here in Adelaide. We've been here for nearly 3 years now and I can't believe how time as passed. With each year, we get our heads around being an expat in Aus... almost to the point where the expat part can be forgotten (most of time). I guess that's what you're settled in another country.

I now have great friends, a lovely home (rented - can't afford to buy), my own business and in 8 weeks my first baby, our new family and the only official australian!

At times, it can be hard to make friends when you first get here. I know that I found it hard, especially as an adult without children, to find people to hang out with. My work means that I run from place to place and don't spend a lot of time with the same people (I'm a consultant). That compounded things and for a while, to be honest, there were times when things were a little lonley

I joined a couple of committees (mostly in the field I work in - Education), and made some friends that way. The I made friends with the girlfriends and wives of my Hubby's work mates. The fastest way I found to make friends though was by joining a club in something I loved doing. I took the plunge, dusted off the ol' lungs and joined a choir. I took my time to research and found one with a wide range of ages - sometimes choirs can be a little... well... senior. Although I am not particularly religious I found one choir (Soul Factor Gospel Choir) who looked like they were having a whale of a time! They do broadway and movie shows as well as the more traditional gospel stuff. I joined them. I now have a heap of friends and it's ace

Rehearsing every week (twice sometimes if there's a concert coming up) means that we've all spent a heap of time laughing at ourselves (and each other) as we attempt to get our heads around dance steps, blocking and music and the people in the choir are great fun!

I was chatting to one of the organsers (Howard Raymond) last week about how good it was to have made so many connections and he suggested that I write to you guys to see if anyone, maybe new (or been around a while) to Adelaide, wants to join us. So. I'm sharing my story and letting you know that taking the plunge to join in and sing can be awesome fun

You can find information about the choir at http://soulfactorgospelchoir.com/ We rehearse every Thursday night at Unley Baptist Church and you are welcome along and watch us practice. We're currently getting ready for our christmas show so there are a few dance routines you can watch us muddle through if you like lol

Just let us know you're coming and we'll make sure you're welcomed
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making friends in a choir - One story - and an invite ;)

So pleased things have slotted into place for you, and a big CONGRATS on the soon to be new addition to the family!!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you were in Sydney. I haven't sung for 5 years now, and I miss it.

hope all goes smoothly with bub. Don't bounce around too much at the Christmas concert- though I was dancing the week before I gave birth- and going to the loo every 5 minutes as a consequence!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys
I can totally empathize with the bouncing an visits to the loo! My last concert (for a little while) will be this Saturday and, apart from a crazy solo, i'm taking ait a little easier than usual! It's great fun though
Sue, I hop you find a choir in Sydney. There has to be one somewhere
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Thanks guys
I can totally empathize with the bouncing an visits to the loo! My last concert (for a little while) will be this Saturday and, apart from a crazy solo, i'm taking ait a little easier than usual! It's great fun though
Sue, I hop you find a choir in Sydney. There has to be one somewhere
I'm the one in Sydney- I think it's a bit far for Sue to come to practice!!!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:32 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I wrote an update on my journey here in Adelaide. We've been here for nearly 3 years now and I can't believe how time as passed. With each year, we get our heads around being an expat in Aus... almost to the point where the expat part can be forgotten (most of time). I guess that's what you're settled in another country.

I now have great friends, a lovely home (rented - can't afford to buy), my own business and in 8 weeks my first baby, our new family and the only official australian!

At times, it can be hard to make friends when you first get here. I know that I found it hard, especially as an adult without children, to find people to hang out with. My work means that I run from place to place and don't spend a lot of time with the same people (I'm a consultant). That compounded things and for a while, to be honest, there were times when things were a little lonley

I joined a couple of committees (mostly in the field I work in - Education), and made some friends that way. The I made friends with the girlfriends and wives of my Hubby's work mates. The fastest way I found to make friends though was by joining a club in something I loved doing. I took the plunge, dusted off the ol' lungs and joined a choir. I took my time to research and found one with a wide range of ages - sometimes choirs can be a little... well... senior. Although I am not particularly religious I found one choir (Soul Factor Gospel Choir) who looked like they were having a whale of a time! They do broadway and movie shows as well as the more traditional gospel stuff. I joined them. I now have a heap of friends and it's ace

Rehearsing every week (twice sometimes if there's a concert coming up) means that we've all spent a heap of time laughing at ourselves (and each other) as we attempt to get our heads around dance steps, blocking and music and the people in the choir are great fun!

I was chatting to one of the organsers (Howard Raymond) last week about how good it was to have made so many connections and he suggested that I write to you guys to see if anyone, maybe new (or been around a while) to Adelaide, wants to join us. So. I'm sharing my story and letting you know that taking the plunge to join in and sing can be awesome fun

You can find information about the choir at http://soulfactorgospelchoir.com/ We rehearse every Thursday night at Unley Baptist Church and you are welcome along and watch us practice. We're currently getting ready for our christmas show so there are a few dance routines you can watch us muddle through if you like lol

Just let us know you're coming and we'll make sure you're welcomed
Great update. The choir sounds a blast, just wish I could hold a tune. Sadly, my voice dropped when by b00bs did If you want to have a meet up after lil bubba arrives, just let me know
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

The choir sounds great, I dont have a brilliant singing voice but I di enjoy singing. I will check out the website.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear about the choir.

I'm also singing a bit now and am loving it.
I don't care really what it is, it's just doing it...
Old May 6th 2013, 2:48 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Well i took the bull by the horns too last week and have applied to join a choir. I don't audition for another 5 weeks (they only audition about 5 times a year) and I'm so nervous already but I miss singing and I seriously have to make some friends or I'm going to start thinking about moving on. I've found it very hard in Sydney, harder than I ever thought so while I'm trying not to put all my eggs in the one basket, i'm really looking forward to getting stuck in with the choir (assuming I get in!!). If I didn't have some family here in Australia I'd have been back in London already.

thanks for the super post!

Tx
Old May 7th 2013, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RedT
Well i took the bull by the horns too last week and have applied to join a choir. I don't audition for another 5 weeks (they only audition about 5 times a year) and I'm so nervous already but I miss singing and I seriously have to make some friends or I'm going to start thinking about moving on. I've found it very hard in Sydney, harder than I ever thought so while I'm trying not to put all my eggs in the one basket, i'm really looking forward to getting stuck in with the choir (assuming I get in!!). If I didn't have some family here in Australia I'd have been back in London already.

thanks for the super post!

Tx
Which choir????
Old May 8th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Which choir????
Its the soulfactor Gospel Choir.There is a link in the op post.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Its the soulfactor Gospel Choir.There is a link in the op post.
Duh! I read it originally but had totally forgotten. Bear of little brain, that's me.