Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz!'

Originally Posted by Bobcat
How's the house sale going..................... or is that a silly question?

Good luck with it all anyway....................
we have another viewing over the weekend and another home open next sat

wish someone would hurry up and buy before the other one gets snapped up by a cash buyer

ah well, nowt can be done i suppose... just frustrating
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie

wish someone would hurry up and buy before the other one gets snapped up by a cash buyer

keeping everything crossed for you bridie Gonna start the house hunt ourselves now - reckon we may have to start at a unit and work up over the years. to be honest i dont care so much so long as it is mine
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:40 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie

Good luck with the viewings Bridie, hope you sell soon
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emotional overload revisited - 3 months on!

hi guys - if anyone knows where my intial update post is please feel free to send this all over there but i cant find it
Some of you know we have a website tracking our move over with tales of fun in the sun etc etc. Well over the last couple of days this following crap has all fallen onto my key board. im not sure if it will cause too much upset for people back home so decided to chuck it on here = well the plan was it was gonna be my latest update but that went t*** up when i couldnt find where it had gone
Enjoy. You reckon it is ok to put on our website or perhaps still too early and cause too much upset??
mandy xxx

Last edited by Sue; Mar 12th 2008 at 2:34 pm. Reason: Post merged with original thread
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Emotional overload revisited - 3 months on!

Originally Posted by daunted
hi guys - if anyone knows where my intial update post is please feel free to send this all over there but i cant find it
Some of you know we have a website tracking our move over with tales of fun in the sun etc etc. Well over the last couple of days this following crap has all fallen onto my key board. im not sure if it will cause too much upset for people back home so decided to chuck it on here = well the plan was it was gonna be my latest update but that went t*** up when i couldnt find where it had gone
Enjoy. You reckon it is ok to put on our website or perhaps still too early and cause too much upset??
mandy xxx
THANKS FOR FINDING THIS THREAD FOR ME MODS OK HERE GOES WITH THE POST I MENTION ABOVE .............

Emotional overload.
Well we have been here slightly over 3 months now and for some reason it feels right to post all the emotional turmoil of the final few days as we left the UK. Australia feels like home now and I don’t feel I am jinxing anything by spilling the beans on the stiff upper lip I carried around for the final countdown LOL
The whole migration journey started in February of last year, initially in an attitude of ‘if I don’t at least try and do it then I will always regret not having tried kinda attitude’. The further we got down the line and the more research I did into it all the more I was convinced it was the life I wanted not just for me but for Rachel and Mark. Scott is an adult in his own right and I will always support him in everything and any decision about which path he wants his life to take. Obviously we want him here, he has his visa too, but the decision is his and his alone. I have spent many, many days wishing I had done it all earlier when he would have come with us but things happen when the time is right and the time was obviously not right those earlier times.
The hardest part was telling my Mum we were hoping to be going. Even harder was telling her that the visa had arrived and we were definitely off. Those that believe in fate may believe that the fact we got the visa acknowledgement in middle of night phone call whilst Mum was with us happened for a reason. I believe it did too. At least it meant I could tell her in person and give her a hug whilst I broke her heart! The early days after visa grant were very stressful where all relationships were concerned. I felt I was living two separate lives. Ecstatic that it was really going to happen and yet feeling guilty at leaving those most important to me. There were times when I felt relationships were ruined for ever but we worked through it and despite being further away, geographically, than ever, I feel we are all much closer now.
Our Skilled Independent Visa subclass 136 was granted on October 29th (we got a phone call at 2am) and it gave me great pleasure in handing in my notice at work the very same day! I was to leave work on 23rd November. The night of Visa grant we celebrated with Champagne which had been chilling in the fridge for months in anticipation of the good news. That night, YES under the influence, I booked our flights to leave on 26th November. There seemed no point hanging around and making everyone suffer longer. There really was an air of being so much aware of how difficult it was all going to be that I felt the need to just DO it and prove to everyone that us leaving didn’t mean us leaving their lives forever.
The weekend before we flew Scott, Joss, Mum and Martin all came and we went out for a meal together. To say I was dreading it was an understatement. I have never been great at showing my emotions and didn’t like the fact that I was going to have to face up to saying goodbyes. I needn’t have worried. The night was great and I am very proud of the way everyone coped - though I am sure I am not the only one who shed a few tears that night once alone. The house was devoid of furniture bar matresses on the floor and a few boxes of Scotts belongings which he was going to come back and collect after we had gone.
The Sunday afternoon when myself, Rachel, Mark, Scott and Joss were taking final photos and saying our stiff upper lip goodbyes was the hardest. I remember standing at the front window watching Scott and Joss walking up the street and round the corner to get their train and thinking it was the last time I was going to see my eldest child for a very long time,. That was the hardest point in the past year, and I still think back and feel crap. Having said that its not long until they are both here on holiday for 3 whole months and we plan to treasure every damned second! The photos we took that final weekend speak the whole truth!! Christ I looked tired, drained and so ill! I guess it’s a true reflection of how I was feeling - I can’t put it into words, the photos say it all!
The day before we flew Rachel and Mark were spending the day with Allan. We were all staying at Johns house for the final night in the UK and leaving by stretch limo at 5.30am the final morning (I had banned anyone from coming to the airport). After Rachel and Mark had left for a ‘Christmas Day’ at Allans house John helped me take the last of the stuff to the dump and then we took 6 VERY large suitcases containing all that was dear to us to his house ready for the big move the following day. We were entitled to double weight allowance as we were emigrating and boy did we need those extra kilograms! It ended up that we were just 1.5kg under our weight allowance which we were pretty impressed with considering we were expecting to be over and had visions of dumping stuff at Manchester airport.
Rachel and Mark arriving back from Allans and saying goodbye was awful. No other way to describe it. They were all heartbroken and whilst I selfishly wanted to cry at the guilt I was feeling at separating them. Allan and myself have had lots of crap between us but I have always worked hard for them to maintain a really close relationship. He is and will always be their Dad and it is important that they have a relationship with them even if it makes me feel uncomfortable.
We all spent a couple of hours sat around a kitchen table playing games which we all pretended to be focused on but I am pretty certain that the kids, like me, had their heads a million miles away with all sorts of weird and wonderful, not to mention scary emotions running through their heads!
I laid in bed next to Rachel that night, looking at Mark fast asleep on the floor wondering how on earth they had managed to switch off long enough to fall asleep. As hard as I tried to ‘switch off’ mentally my mind was racing with how those we were leaving behind must be feeling as well as terrified of the huge responsibility I was about to take on! I was terrified but not for one moment did I think I was doing the wrong thing.
I must have fallen into an exhausted sleep and woke to the alarm at some unearthly hour. Breakfast was quiet, I think we were all lost in our own silent thoughts. I had a niggling doubt that the Limo wasn’t going to turn up on time which in itself proved right! After an early morning phone call to the driver it seems he had forgotten us but was frantically making arrangements for us to be collected by alternative transport - a Mecedes mini bus thingy ma jig!! IT wasn’t quite what I had in mind but at least we would get to the airport on time! This was the first time I totally lost the plot! I had what could only be described as a childlike tantrum (the stress coming out I think) I remember bursting into tears cos the grand finale had been spoilt and the big treat I had planned for Rachel and Mark and kept secret for so long was ruined. In the cold light of day it was all irrelevant. They didn’t mind and once we had finally arrived at the airport neither did I - as it turned out the limo company refunded my money and paid for the alternative transport so I guess we did ok - but at the time it was like the end of the world!
Do you know that feeling when you arrive at the airport to go on holiday and all around you the world is going crazy trying to get first in the queue, panicking they have left the iron on etc etc? Well when I went into the departure lounge on that Monday morning I felt like I was wrapped up in a bubble! No one or nothing else existed just me and my bag holding passports which in turn contained the much coverted visa sticker! I felt like I was on auto pilot and focused on getting myself, Rachel and Mark along with 6 huge suitcases and 3 lots of hand luggage checked onto our flights as soon and as effortlessly as possible. I am probably guilty of becoming a little self centred in that check in queue. I knew I had Mark and Rachel with me but I needed to focus on the formalities at that stage. I was not quite prepared for what happened next!!
We stepped forward and handed over our passports, tickets and an email from Singapore airlines confirming that as we were emigrating we were entitled to double weight allowance. The very nice, far too slim and attractive hostess commented on the fact that we were emigrating and THAT is when the previous 11 months caught up with me! All I could think of was the people we were leaving behind and the stress of application not to mention the over riding fear of what I was about to do! For a while I wondered if perhaps I was totally insane or in the least about to make the biggest mistake of my life……. And I started crying!!!! Not embarrassing huge sobs but the sort of tears that just flood out of the corner of your eye and you have no hope in hells chance of stopping! I swear my voice was not my own when I confirmed that I had packed the bags myself and that noone else had tampered with them since. To be honest I think the poor gal just wanted me to filter off to her left and never clap eyes on me again! LOL Of course as always happens, I cry which in turn sets off Rachel (Mark is oblivious to it all - that’s cos he is male LOL)
Once the bags were all checked in we went straight through to join the line to go into the departure lounge. I still had this horrible fear that someone may turn up at the airport to say goodbye and there is no way I could have handled it. Yeah ok so maybe a little selfish but it was hard enough knowing that in Preston, Skipton and WGC there was the 3 most important people in our lives waking up knowing that we were about to leave the country. I had managed to compose myself and was getting into the ‘holiday’ spirit (head in the sand hey?) mode right up until we went through passport control when BANG it happened again!!! Shit - why do some people look so elegant when they cry and I just look like a wrinkled prune!! I’m not sure whether I actually managed to get through the metal detectors with out them going off ( they ALWAYS go off for me) or whether they turned a blind eye cos they didn’t want to cope with an emotional wreck!
I don’t remember how long we had to wait in the departure lounge but I do remember taking a photo of the plane which was about to take us off to the other side of the world. It was a very dark and miserable grey Manchester morning, the kind of day that you like to leave behind when going on holiday but that day it didn’t seem so bad at all. We sat, we ate, we drank, we walked and then we sat again before finally being called for boarding! Emotional overload part 3!! Handing over the boarding pass I was fine UNTIL the far too skinny and attractive hostess said ‘oh its YOU who is emigrating!’ Like we had all of a sudden become famous!! I remember croaking ‘yes’ in my finest snotty voice before heading down the tunnel trying to avoid eye contact with Rachel and Mark - the last thing I needed was for them to go getting emotional on me too - it was hard enough trying to APPEAR strong and in control with out actually having to DEMONSTRATE it! I needn’t have worried - Rachel already had a tear in her eye and Mark had gone very quiet (that is male talk for feeling emotional I have come to realise over the years)
I guess the final emotional meltdown point hit us all together! You know that feeling when you are racing down the run way about to take off and it feels like you left your stomach behind? Well that is when it hit all three of us all together! Nothing noisy or demonstrative just a quiet, all three of us holding hands, moment with a few silent tears. It was almost as if the feeling in the stomach was not the force of gravity of take off but instead the force of our previous life being left behind. Now I am not going to moan and complain about the UK and my life in it but as long as I remember it seems to have always been hard in someway or another. Leaving it behind was a huge sense of sadness, it was what I knew best, but it also signalled the beginning of our new life, and as much as I was scared about what the future held I was also excited beyond belief!…………………………….. (and I guess this is where the website begins!)

PHEW!! That took some writing! I felt it was important to get all that out - selfishly? Yeah maybe - but more importantly I want you all to know that this hasn’t been easy for any of us either! We have been through every single emotion possible over the previous 3 months (christ is that only how long it has been?) but we have managed to make it through and are happier than we ever dreamed possible. Australia is home now, we don’t miss our old lives but we do miss people. Scott is the best son anyone could have and I am immensely proud of everything he has achieved to date and any thing he goes on to achieve. In fact even if he decided to quit and go bumming around the world I would STILL be proud so long as he was happy!!! Joss - it is largely due to you that I can sleep at night knowing some one is out there looking out for my boy.
Mum - I miss you to the moon and back - but like I said ‘ I am only a thought away’. Don’t feel sad - feel proud! It is because of you that I am who I am!
OK - I guess its pretty weird but Allan - you have shown enormous strength and love for Rachel and Mark for agreeing for them to come here, I am pretty sure they will thank you for it in years to come. If they don’t then that will be YOUR genes not mine!! J

With all the love in the world

Mandy xxx (oh and them 2 too!) xxxx

Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Hi.

I havent read any of your threads up to this last post but i have a little tear in my eye.

What a wonderful, honest and frank description of your final move. I think anyone whos this side of the equator can relate to some or lots of the things you have so kindly put in words above.

What a brave brave lady you are and I bet your children are as proud of you as you obviously are of them.

Many many thanks for that and I am sure all will be fantastic for you in this new life.

Sarah
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliantly put. Don't apologise for writing that. It's what everyone goes through but it rarely gets written about so eloquently (big word that). Hope your future is as bright as your present is now.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Brilliantly put. Don't apologise for writing that. It's what everyone goes through but it rarely gets written about so eloquently (big word that). Hope your future is as bright as your present is now.
Hi Mandy

Great post! I know exactly what you mean and can associate with all of what you have posted. Having been here the same as you it is the best decision we made. I am only just feeling slightly human again after feeling like a wrung out dishcloth for the last stage of the visa process and all of the other stuff that goes with it. I felt emotionless for a while as if I had used up all of the available emotion.

Nicky
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tigeresswhite
Hi Mandy

Great post! I know exactly what you mean and can associate with all of what you have posted. Having been here the same as you it is the best decision we made. I am only just feeling slightly human again after feeling like a wrung out dishcloth for the last stage of the visa process and all of the other stuff that goes with it. I felt emotionless for a while as if I had used up all of the available emotion.

Nicky
i understand what you mean about the lack of available emotions, it takes time to get your self back together again doesnt it?
We must catch up soon - i wanna hear about your job and how its going
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

angiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to allangiek is a name known to all

i understand what you mean about the lack of available emotions, it takes time to get your self back together again doesnt it?
We must catch up soon - i wanna hear about your job and how its going

Mandy

You should be so produ of yourself taking your kids to a better place.

After reading your thread at 7.45pm in the morning, i gotta redo my make up for work tears running down my face.

all the emotional tears are worth it- you've just shown it.

would like to wish you all the luck in the world

I myself will be leaving my eldest here as she is in uni.

angiek
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emotional overload revisited - 3 months on!

This is the best post I have read on this site.

Thank you for sharing this with us,

M

THANKS FOR FINDING THIS THREAD FOR ME MODS OK HERE GOES WITH THE POST I MENTION ABOVE .............

Emotional overload.
Well we have been here slightly over 3 months now and for some reason it feels right to post all the emotional turmoil of the final few days as we left the UK. Australia feels like home now and I don’t feel I am jinxing anything by spilling the beans on the stiff upper lip I carried around for the final countdown LOL
The whole migration journey started in February of last year, initially in an attitude of ‘if I don’t at least try and do it then I will always regret not having tried kinda attitude’. The further we got down the line and the more research I did into it all the more I was convinced it was the life I wanted not just for me but for Rachel and Mark. Scott is an adult in his own right and I will always support him in everything and any decision about which path he wants his life to take. Obviously we want him here, he has his visa too, but the decision is his and his alone. I have spent many, many days wishing I had done it all earlier when he would have come with us but things happen when the time is right and the time was obviously not right those earlier times.
The hardest part was telling my Mum we were hoping to be going. Even harder was telling her that the visa had arrived and we were definitely off. Those that believe in fate may believe that the fact we got the visa acknowledgement in middle of night phone call whilst Mum was with us happened for a reason. I believe it did too. At least it meant I could tell her in person and give her a hug whilst I broke her heart! The early days after visa grant were very stressful where all relationships were concerned. I felt I was living two separate lives. Ecstatic that it was really going to happen and yet feeling guilty at leaving those most important to me. There were times when I felt relationships were ruined for ever but we worked through it and despite being further away, geographically, than ever, I feel we are all much closer now.
Our Skilled Independent Visa subclass 136 was granted on October 29th (we got a phone call at 2am) and it gave me great pleasure in handing in my notice at work the very same day! I was to leave work on 23rd November. The night of Visa grant we celebrated with Champagne which had been chilling in the fridge for months in anticipation of the good news. That night, YES under the influence, I booked our flights to leave on 26th November. There seemed no point hanging around and making everyone suffer longer. There really was an air of being so much aware of how difficult it was all going to be that I felt the need to just DO it and prove to everyone that us leaving didn’t mean us leaving their lives forever.
The weekend before we flew Scott, Joss, Mum and Martin all came and we went out for a meal together. To say I was dreading it was an understatement. I have never been great at showing my emotions and didn’t like the fact that I was going to have to face up to saying goodbyes. I needn’t have worried. The night was great and I am very proud of the way everyone coped - though I am sure I am not the only one who shed a few tears that night once alone. The house was devoid of furniture bar matresses on the floor and a few boxes of Scotts belongings which he was going to come back and collect after we had gone.
The Sunday afternoon when myself, Rachel, Mark, Scott and Joss were taking final photos and saying our stiff upper lip goodbyes was the hardest. I remember standing at the front window watching Scott and Joss walking up the street and round the corner to get their train and thinking it was the last time I was going to see my eldest child for a very long time,. That was the hardest point in the past year, and I still think back and feel crap. Having said that its not long until they are both here on holiday for 3 whole months and we plan to treasure every damned second! The photos we took that final weekend speak the whole truth!! Christ I looked tired, drained and so ill! I guess it’s a true reflection of how I was feeling - I can’t put it into words, the photos say it all!
The day before we flew Rachel and Mark were spending the day with Allan. We were all staying at Johns house for the final night in the UK and leaving by stretch limo at 5.30am the final morning (I had banned anyone from coming to the airport). After Rachel and Mark had left for a ‘Christmas Day’ at Allans house John helped me take the last of the stuff to the dump and then we took 6 VERY large suitcases containing all that was dear to us to his house ready for the big move the following day. We were entitled to double weight allowance as we were emigrating and boy did we need those extra kilograms! It ended up that we were just 1.5kg under our weight allowance which we were pretty impressed with considering we were expecting to be over and had visions of dumping stuff at Manchester airport.
Rachel and Mark arriving back from Allans and saying goodbye was awful. No other way to describe it. They were all heartbroken and whilst I selfishly wanted to cry at the guilt I was feeling at separating them. Allan and myself have had lots of crap between us but I have always worked hard for them to maintain a really close relationship. He is and will always be their Dad and it is important that they have a relationship with them even if it makes me feel uncomfortable.
We all spent a couple of hours sat around a kitchen table playing games which we all pretended to be focused on but I am pretty certain that the kids, like me, had their heads a million miles away with all sorts of weird and wonderful, not to mention scary emotions running through their heads!
I laid in bed next to Rachel that night, looking at Mark fast asleep on the floor wondering how on earth they had managed to switch off long enough to fall asleep. As hard as I tried to ‘switch off’ mentally my mind was racing with how those we were leaving behind must be feeling as well as terrified of the huge responsibility I was about to take on! I was terrified but not for one moment did I think I was doing the wrong thing.
I must have fallen into an exhausted sleep and woke to the alarm at some unearthly hour. Breakfast was quiet, I think we were all lost in our own silent thoughts. I had a niggling doubt that the Limo wasn’t going to turn up on time which in itself proved right! After an early morning phone call to the driver it seems he had forgotten us but was frantically making arrangements for us to be collected by alternative transport - a Mecedes mini bus thingy ma jig!! IT wasn’t quite what I had in mind but at least we would get to the airport on time! This was the first time I totally lost the plot! I had what could only be described as a childlike tantrum (the stress coming out I think) I remember bursting into tears cos the grand finale had been spoilt and the big treat I had planned for Rachel and Mark and kept secret for so long was ruined. In the cold light of day it was all irrelevant. They didn’t mind and once we had finally arrived at the airport neither did I - as it turned out the limo company refunded my money and paid for the alternative transport so I guess we did ok - but at the time it was like the end of the world!
Do you know that feeling when you arrive at the airport to go on holiday and all around you the world is going crazy trying to get first in the queue, panicking they have left the iron on etc etc? Well when I went into the departure lounge on that Monday morning I felt like I was wrapped up in a bubble! No one or nothing else existed just me and my bag holding passports which in turn contained the much coverted visa sticker! I felt like I was on auto pilot and focused on getting myself, Rachel and Mark along with 6 huge suitcases and 3 lots of hand luggage checked onto our flights as soon and as effortlessly as possible. I am probably guilty of becoming a little self centred in that check in queue. I knew I had Mark and Rachel with me but I needed to focus on the formalities at that stage. I was not quite prepared for what happened next!!
We stepped forward and handed over our passports, tickets and an email from Singapore airlines confirming that as we were emigrating we were entitled to double weight allowance. The very nice, far too slim and attractive hostess commented on the fact that we were emigrating and THAT is when the previous 11 months caught up with me! All I could think of was the people we were leaving behind and the stress of application not to mention the over riding fear of what I was about to do! For a while I wondered if perhaps I was totally insane or in the least about to make the biggest mistake of my life……. And I started crying!!!! Not embarrassing huge sobs but the sort of tears that just flood out of the corner of your eye and you have no hope in hells chance of stopping! I swear my voice was not my own when I confirmed that I had packed the bags myself and that noone else had tampered with them since. To be honest I think the poor gal just wanted me to filter off to her left and never clap eyes on me again! LOL Of course as always happens, I cry which in turn sets off Rachel (Mark is oblivious to it all - that’s cos he is male LOL)
Once the bags were all checked in we went straight through to join the line to go into the departure lounge. I still had this horrible fear that someone may turn up at the airport to say goodbye and there is no way I could have handled it. Yeah ok so maybe a little selfish but it was hard enough knowing that in Preston, Skipton and WGC there was the 3 most important people in our lives waking up knowing that we were about to leave the country. I had managed to compose myself and was getting into the ‘holiday’ spirit (head in the sand hey?) mode right up until we went through passport control when BANG it happened again!!! Shit - why do some people look so elegant when they cry and I just look like a wrinkled prune!! I’m not sure whether I actually managed to get through the metal detectors with out them going off ( they ALWAYS go off for me) or whether they turned a blind eye cos they didn’t want to cope with an emotional wreck!
I don’t remember how long we had to wait in the departure lounge but I do remember taking a photo of the plane which was about to take us off to the other side of the world. It was a very dark and miserable grey Manchester morning, the kind of day that you like to leave behind when going on holiday but that day it didn’t seem so bad at all. We sat, we ate, we drank, we walked and then we sat again before finally being called for boarding! Emotional overload part 3!! Handing over the boarding pass I was fine UNTIL the far too skinny and attractive hostess said ‘oh its YOU who is emigrating!’ Like we had all of a sudden become famous!! I remember croaking ‘yes’ in my finest snotty voice before heading down the tunnel trying to avoid eye contact with Rachel and Mark - the last thing I needed was for them to go getting emotional on me too - it was hard enough trying to APPEAR strong and in control with out actually having to DEMONSTRATE it! I needn’t have worried - Rachel already had a tear in her eye and Mark had gone very quiet (that is male talk for feeling emotional I have come to realise over the years)
I guess the final emotional meltdown point hit us all together! You know that feeling when you are racing down the run way about to take off and it feels like you left your stomach behind? Well that is when it hit all three of us all together! Nothing noisy or demonstrative just a quiet, all three of us holding hands, moment with a few silent tears. It was almost as if the feeling in the stomach was not the force of gravity of take off but instead the force of our previous life being left behind. Now I am not going to moan and complain about the UK and my life in it but as long as I remember it seems to have always been hard in someway or another. Leaving it behind was a huge sense of sadness, it was what I knew best, but it also signalled the beginning of our new life, and as much as I was scared about what the future held I was also excited beyond belief!…………………………….. (and I guess this is where the website begins!)

PHEW!! That took some writing! I felt it was important to get all that out - selfishly? Yeah maybe - but more importantly I want you all to know that this hasn’t been easy for any of us either! We have been through every single emotion possible over the previous 3 months (christ is that only how long it has been?) but we have managed to make it through and are happier than we ever dreamed possible. Australia is home now, we don’t miss our old lives but we do miss people. Scott is the best son anyone could have and I am immensely proud of everything he has achieved to date and any thing he goes on to achieve. In fact even if he decided to quit and go bumming around the world I would STILL be proud so long as he was happy!!! Joss - it is largely due to you that I can sleep at night knowing some one is out there looking out for my boy.
Mum - I miss you to the moon and back - but like I said ‘ I am only a thought away’. Don’t feel sad - feel proud! It is because of you that I am who I am!
OK - I guess its pretty weird but Allan - you have shown enormous strength and love for Rachel and Mark for agreeing for them to come here, I am pretty sure they will thank you for it in years to come. If they don’t then that will be YOUR genes not mine!! J

With all the love in the world

Mandy xxx (oh and them 2 too!) xxxx

Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Mandy

Just read this and yes I have tears also, think I re-lived every bit with you. Thanks for sharing with us, just goes to prove that we are all the same when it comes to leaving friends and family behind, but dont forget we are all here for you when you need a shoulder, and I should know cos Ive had a lend of a few over the years.

See you soon

Jan xx
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

aaaawe shucks - will you all Pleeeeeeeeeease stop crying

......and Jan thanks! it seems like a million years ago you came and found me on the beach You and everyone else i have met both on line and since we arrived have all made it so much easier to settle.
I have just got Rachel to put the post up onto our website - that was the original reason for writing it but wasnt sure if to do it or not - anyway its up
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:30 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

i've just read this.

that was written so well, and there is no need to apologise for writing how you feel or even being a bit selfish every now and again. We are all entitled to especially after the move that you have just made.

good luck to all of you.

now, between you and PP i am now a total emotinal wreck!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

tayles will become famous soon enoughtayles will become famous soon enough

What a fantastic and honest post! You had me in tears one minute and laughing the next. Here is hoping it won't be too long before we are experiencing some of the same emotions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.