Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

It's our 10th anniversary down under....

It's our 10th anniversary down under....

Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Smile It's our 10th anniversary down under....

This time 10 years ago (wow was it really that long ago?) I would have been rushing around like a mad woman getting all those last things sorted and I still can't believe how I managed to organise a going-away party for the weekend before too, what was I thinking? Must have been running on adrenaline for those last few weeks I reckon.

Ten years later we're still here, well some of us anyway So much for my plans to have some sort of celebratory family weekend away. Would you believe my husband has been made "UK Projects Manager" and is currently on a business trip to England. And today my daughter set off on a flight back - she was one of the lucky few St John first aiders selected from Australia to volunteer at the Olympics and is thrilled to be going to London. I feel happier knowing that her dad will be at the airport to meet her at least!

When I first came on this website back in 2001, Mandurah was a much quieter place which nobody had heard of. The mining boom hadn't yet started and houses (and everything else) were way cheaper. The traffic was a lot less too. No doubt we're in for a lot more changes over the coming years as the population is growing so fast in WA. And do I have any regrets? No, not at all. We're so glad we made the move when we did, while the children were young (7, 9 and 11). I don't necessarily think we've had a "better" life here (our old life in the UK was pretty good already), it's just different. Hubby still works long hours, there is crime everywhere etc, some things you can't escape. But my sister, who I previously barely knew as she moved over here in the 90's, is now a lovely friend too - we've got to know each other so much better and I feel like we've gained extra family here as we get on so well with her in-laws.

Over these last 10 years, our children have all grown into lovely, responsible, sensible young adults who have made us proud and they think of themselves now as Aussies rather than Poms. Who's to say where their careers and future aspirations will take them though? Ten years ago we were acutely aware of the upset we were causing both set of parents by moving so far away, and depriving them of seeing their grandchildren. There's always that little niggling worry at the back of my mind that one of ours could do the same thing to us and move interstate, or even move back to the UK

The whole emigration process was such hard work, very stressful and a strain on the marriage at times, but it was all worth it, we've come through relatively unscathed! Good luck to all of you brave people out there just starting out on your own adventure, hope things work out as well for you

Last edited by Jacqui; Jul 13th 2012 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:50 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's our 10th anniversary down under....

Great update
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Lovely to read, and glad it all worked out so well for you. We leave 4 weeks tomorrow with a 6 & 9 year old, heading to Baldivis !
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to hear it has all worked out nicely for you.You sound very proud of your children and what an amazing opportunity for your daughter to be heading over with St.Johns.Hope life continues to treat you well.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:26 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: It's our 10th anniversary down under....

Originally Posted by Jacqui
I don't necessarily think we've had a "better" life here (our old life in the UK was pretty good already), it's just different.
This is key.

If you winge and moan about life in the UK you will probably have the same attitude in Australia. And the reverse applies.

BB
Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Really good post. We've been here nearly 10 years too. Time flies and there have been so many changes in Perth.

But you're right, it has been very tough at times, particularly in the first few years.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Party at your place?....

I believe its traditional for the hostess to provide the drinks at a ten year celebration... You know...one off kind of thing....

Seriously... You're right... Not better... But Different....

How do we know what life would have been 10 years later back in blighty?

Heres to another 10
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, time flies- thanks for the update.