Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsville

Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsville

Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:17 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsvill

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I live in Shellharbour, about 40k South of Wollongong and slap bang on the coast. Feel free to post links to all the floods we have suffered in, lets say, the last decade.

You're promoting Townsville more than the Townsville Tourist Board so you can expect to take a bit of ribbing about it.
Village or new town?? I was there today having lunch!!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsvill

Originally Posted by Scot_expat
Well it is quite obvious that not every single township on the east coast will suffer from flooding, however generally speaking vast majority do, during that November to February period due to excessive or above average rainfull that effects allot of eastern Australia thanks largely to the "el-nino" weather system that hampered Australia over the last few years.
It was La Nina actually, and no, in a normal year very few towns or cities experience serious flooding; certainly not the majority. El Nino was expected to bring a return of drought this year but the patterns of the ocean currents have diverted the effect so that this year has been wetter than expected - except for the north of Queensland - Townsville and places further north have had a far drier year than normal.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

It's raining as we speak, or should I say type or read? Yeh my apologies, I don't no the specifics of the weather just what I vaguely remember from the weather presenters on locals news.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Myself and my wife are moving to Townsville.

My wife is joining queensland police and is heading over next week. I am staying in the UK for another month or so to sort things out
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Great you tube clip. I love that guy x
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jord w
Myself and my wife are moving to Townsville.

My wife is joining queensland police and is heading over next week. I am staying in the UK for another month or so to sort things out
Congrats on the move! Good luck, I hope you enjoy what the north has to offer as much as we do drop me a line if you require any assistance.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

They should never have taken the A league team away. Thats unanimous amongst dedicated A league fans.

I would have gone there at least once or twice in the later years of my time here if Fury had still been in town.

Actually tell you a story... when I first came to Aus way back in 1980, we almost settled in Townsville... Fact is we had my Aus wifes Bendigo based mother with us on what was supposed to be a honeymoon trip right up the East coast....We got beyond Cairns actually before we broke down.... luckily the MIL loaned us heaps of camping gear so we were fairly comfortable camping wise. Only problem was she came with the camping gear. I wanted to send the MIL back by Bus or Train... The wife said we had to take her back..... We never returned

Townsville was the most impressive place I saw on my trip all those years ago. God knows where I would have been if we had settled there.

Still no regrets... I will definitely return.

Good luck and enjoyed your posts.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scot_expat
Congrats on the move! Good luck, I hope you enjoy what the north has to offer as much as we do drop me a line if you require any assistance.

Thanks might take you up on that

It's all go here at the minute, sorting things before Thursday.