Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:24 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Hi Val and Mick

Marie and Dom moved to Brisbane in September (am friend of Maria's from Ireland) but I haven't heard from them since but can't wait to hear how they are getting on. Last I heard from Maria, Dom had a job in Brisbane and was renting 5 bed house with pool and tennis courts and with 5 boys under 10 they will need the space, can't wait to hear how they are liking Brisbane as we are hoping to move there next year if we ever sell house.

Marie
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

val and mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celtic Roses
Hi Val and Mick

Marie and Dom moved to Brisbane in September (am friend of Maria's from Ireland) but I haven't heard from them since but can't wait to hear how they are getting on. Last I heard from Maria, Dom had a job in Brisbane and was renting 5 bed house with pool and tennis courts and with 5 boys under 10 they will need the space, can't wait to hear how they are liking Brisbane as we are hoping to move there next year if we ever sell house.

Marie
Hi Marie, good to hear from you, when are you hoping to get over? what part of Brisbane are you looking to live in? we are in Capalaba in the bayside, Quite near Cleveland.
Val
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:03 am
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Hi Val,

We thought we would already be living there by this Christmas but unfortunately huge change in housing market in Ireland and very difficult to sell houses at moment, we have gone ahead and booked a reccie trip for February 9th for 3 weeks and will at least validate visa and get to see the place, can't wait. Most horrible miserable wet day here today and would love to be where you are but someday soon hopefully. Maria lived on the next road to us here in Navan and I can't wait to hear how she is finding Brisbane but she mustn't have got connected to broadband yet, she moved end of September. How long are you both there and are you enjoying yourselves? We are hoping to check out suburbs and get a feel for the place in February so any advice would be welcome. Thanks and talk soon! Marie
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Allison07 has a spectacular aura aboutAllison07 has a spectacular aura aboutAllison07 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thebigh
G.day boys and girls. My wife and I spent a lot of time reading the forums before planning our trip down under. We planned for years to make the move after my wife had spent 9 months on a working visa here, three holidays and research trips and I was sold the idea.

We sold it to our kids too...17, 15 and 13...we looked at our lives in the most beautiful part of the UK in Devon and said "its great in our large house looking over to Dartmoor but how are our kids going to afford a house here, get a worthwhile paid job that gives them satisfaction in what they do without moving....".

There is not a great deal of well paid jobs in Devon, crime is on the up and I was struggling to find paid employment after running my own businesses for 15 years.

Did not t feel that I could afford to buy/create another business and risk losing what I had already got. With so many years of experience at managing business and people and no recent qualifications we thought "hey, life is short....lets do it...lets try for new life and opportunity down under where our money will spread a little further and our kids could experience a different life and hopefully have a better chance at the future. Oz is booming with jobs and opportunity.

Without permanent visas, we have 4 years to buy/make a business turn a profit and employment of Ozzies and apply for residency visas for those that have not looked at this before. As we have no permanent status, we have to pay for everything....no home in the uk...no nhs reciprocal arrangement no medicare as such.... we will have to pay for our daughters university fees...we get no family taxation benefits ?

We arrived her on the 16 April 2007 after a very long and expensive progression through the business visa 463 application, house unsold and loan in the bank to tied us over until the house was sold. We sold or gave away all the furniture that we had collected over the years, chucked all those accumulated nick naks. A bit of a gamble but the house is now under offer......

But hey, were still doing it...

So we are here....
Lets get on with it...get the kids into the best school we can find that matches my kids high UK academic achievements...

Rent a house....buy a car....get some second hand equipment like fridges etc.

Wife gets a low paid job eventually...me I can’t....I have to sign on with agencies for temp work until we can find a business and I have the money. Its not that easy....the work is poorly paid, its sporadic and although applying for s*** jobs.....they don't want to know. Yet I am honestly the most flexible and adaptable person going with a range of practical, physical and admin skills going ?? whinge..

Anyway..life goes on, its not a problem. The sun is shining every day whilst it tiddles down back in the UK. We have already done all the theme park stuff, we have walked on the glorious beaches...got lost in Mount mee state forest whilst 4wd ing, scary but fun..lesson learnt there.

Youngest daughter back doing horse riding lessons over here....loving it.

Eldest struggled at first with school because we came her at such an awkward time in her education and really did not want to come here in the first place when her mind was set on UK university. But, paid for lessons from a trainee teacher and she is back up to top of the class and she really loves it here.

My son (15)...the most positive one about coming here is the problem.....he has tried really hard to fit in, but can't. He was a bit of a legend back in school in the UK. He is a mature, well built lad with a great personality. Well into 'freeriding' downhill biking and always up for a challenge, had got a massive group of friends who still tell him how much they miss him.. He just can't make friends here at school, quite a few friends outside that he hangs with but misses his mates in the UK and now his self confidence is taking a knock. 10 weeks in and all he wants to do is go home...does not want to go too school and hates everthing about it.

As for the super friendly Ozzies, well we have struggled a bit too. We have family here...that helps but no one seems to do anything but work...drink beer till they fall over or indulge in rock n roll dancing at the geriatric clubs !!!
Talking to people at the various work places I have been at, they all seem to want to go to europe ???
When the Ozzies hear the english accent..and I can't help that...there seems to be a barrier that goes up. The most friendly people I have spoken to so far are the South African business people who have told me how hard it has been to get up and running....

Sorry guys......don't meen to be so negative but seeing my son go so disheartened and dejected to school is breaking my heart and I wonder what the hell we have done......does that make any sense to you guys.

Does it get better than this ? are we just going through a pain barrier.
The only thing I can say is..When I moved in to the house I live in now(UK) I loved it..then once the novelty had worn off I hated it!!It took me 2 years to finaly settle in, stop thinking of the property I had left behind. I had to get over thinking I had made a huge mistake and get on with it..Now thats easy for me to say sitting still in England, but I do belive that simalar priciples do apply..probably your son had built up Australia in his head and was expecting this MASSIVE new life where the air is fresher and the Babes fitter, and really for your son it was probably a huge let down..People have different levels of 'comfort' and your son will probably settle, but just a little slower than others, give him a break..once his circle of friends develops he will be more happy..Did you manage to see "Wanted Down Under" I think it was on the BBC? anyway it followed prospective family's doing the move and there first few months or it may have been another program i wached ..anyway..there was a family simalar to yours and the family was split down the middle, half wanted to stay the other go..I think it was the Mum and half the kids who wanted to return..until there Son met a Girl..and it all changed they all setteled the relashionship didnt go anywhere but he met other girls from that and new friends because of the Girls..I belive they are all now setteled and happily living Down Under..You have tried so hard to be there..try hard to stay..It is bloody depressing here looking out the window..just remind yourself of the reasons you wanted to go..britain has'nt changed since you went and probably wont if you did come back..hang in there and good luck xx