Four years in Adelaide

Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Four years in Adelaide

This week we celebrate the fourth anniversary of our arrival in Adelaide and the eighth anniversary of our wedding.

We've now spent four years each in the UK and Australia. The time has simply rocketed past.

Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:06 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four years in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This week we celebrate the fourth anniversary of our arrival in Adelaide and the eighth anniversary of our wedding.

We've now spent four years each in the UK and Australia. The time has simply rocketed past.

Congratulations Vash
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four years in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Congratulations!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:27 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Four years in Adelaide

Thanks.

Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Four years in Adelaide

So, a few things we've done this year... let's start with the courtyard.

Before:

After:

Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Wifi antenna!

This was a courtesy installation by a mate of a mate, who provided all equipment (and an entire day's work) free of charge. I helped with the final stage—inserting and securing the antenna mast—which was arguably the hardest.

The wireless mast taps into my mate's spare internet account, which is unmetered and does not cost us a cent (I use it exclusively for torrents via our media PC). It also connects to Air-Stream, a free community wifi network spanning the South Australian suburbs.

We also have a separate fixed line connection with TPG, which costs us $60 a month for phone and unlimited broadband. This provides bandwidth for our other two PCs and three tablets.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2013 at 3:27 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Spa!

It's been looking rather sorry for itself, so we spruced it up with a lick of paint and a pair of brass door knobs (not shown here, as they weren't attached yet).

The wood is warped and will need replacing eventually, but it's good for a few years yet.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Ducted reverse cycle aircon!

We purchased a 10.5kW Fujitsu inverter (ARTG36) with four zones and five outlets. The vendor was Factory Home Air Conditioning and the cost was $7,300. I shopped around and obtained half a dozen quotes before settling on FHAC.

The house has three bedrooms, one of which I'm using as a study. There's a split system inverter in the master bedroom, so we didn't need an outlet there.

We can run any single zone by itself, all four zones simultaneously, and every combination in between. The outside unit is very quiet. The interior is dead silent. The temperature difference is amazing.

We were very pleased with the efficiency and courtesy of the installers. I can definitely recommend Factory Home Air Conditioning; a pleasure to deal with from start to finish.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:57 pm
Fighting my corner

USA!

As a pastor in my local Christian community I am occasionally invited to speak interstate... and even further afield.

Last year a church in the USA flew me over to Texas as the leading speaker at their annual Bible study weekend. This year another church flew me over to Chicago as a leading speaker at their annual Bible study week in Wisconsin. I also gave a sermon at a church in Lombard, Illinois, and helped out with their weekly charity dinner night.

The Americans were friendly and hospitable, as always. I stayed with a family in Carol Stream (IL) but also spent time with their relatives in West Chicago.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2013 at 4:25 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Carol Stream:

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2013 at 4:01 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:06 pm
Fighting my corner

West Chicago. I stayed in this house:

The neighbourhood was quite nice:

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 20th 2013 at 4:10 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:12 pm
Fighting my corner

The local park wasn't too shabby either:

Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:17 pm
Fighting my corner

One of my friends is studying at Wheaton College. It's historically significant, so I wandered down for a look:

Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Morton Arboretum was also worth visiting:

Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Four years in Adelaide

More to come... later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.