Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

First year thoughts of a sun baked country

First year thoughts of a sun baked country

Old Sep 26th 2017, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Sten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really niceSten2206 is just really nice
Default Re: First year thoughts of a sun baked country

Originally Posted by Shard
Interesting read. What kind of work did you end up taking? Definitely correct on not comparing prices when you move. The 500 ml Coke is a good one, The Economist magazine uses (at least it used to) a Big Mac PPP index but the concept is the same.
Initially I was performing daddy day care duties while my wife got settled in to her new job and while we got to know our little neighbourhood a bit better and what the childcare options were like.

After my first bout of job hunting I managed to secure a temp contract with a gov agency...was a pretty good (re)introduction to worklife in Australia...well to start with at least, rapidly turned sour with management towards the end and had to get out but really struggled to find something else (about 9 months of applying).

Thankfully I did end up securing a position after two weeks out of work kicking my heels and fretting. Again, still working in government...at this stage in our lives in Aussie the perks and flexibility offered by government positions just cannot be beaten.

Just checked the dates and we're nearly two years in now...time for another update I reckon!
Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First year thoughts of a sun baked country

Absolutely loved reading this. Very informative and honest. Thank you