First weeks in Cairns

Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns

Thanks Soapy I was hoping to be there by january but my hubby wants to wait till march for the kids to settle with less humidity. I think I will have to start my new job before then though. I cant wait to be honest but its really scarey.So we have lots to do dogs to arrange and house to sell.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:46 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Well I've been here nearly 8 weeks now and at work for 6, hubby and children are still in the UK, without wanting to tempt fate I'm hoping they will be here sometime in October but these house sales are complicated beasts and we still haven't exchanged contracts

To any nurses coming to Cairns wanting to claim up to $3000 relocation expenses for flights and removals KEEP RECEIPTS and find out from your NUM exactly how to go about it early on, a few nurses weren't given the correct information and I think it has caused difficulties for some. I've had a lot of different information from various people and I'm still not sure what's right

Other than that all is well, I'm still a lodger for now but have lined up a house unfurnished, 3 beds, air con and pool for $300 a week, could've had it furnished for $350 but I want to get some things of my own again all I have at the moment is my clothes, a few gadgets and my car and it's very disconcerting. That house should be available sometime in October hopefully just in time for when the others get here
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:55 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Well I've been here nearly 8 weeks now and at work for 6, hubby and children are still in the UK, without wanting to tempt fate I'm hoping they will be here sometime in October but these house sales are complicated beasts and we still haven't exchanged contracts

To any nurses coming to Cairns wanting to claim up to $3000 relocation expenses for flights and removals KEEP RECEIPTS and find out from your NUM exactly how to go about it early on, a few nurses weren't given the correct information and I think it has caused difficulties for some. I've had a lot of different information from various people and I'm still not sure what's right

Other than that all is well, I'm still a lodger for now but have lined up a house unfurnished, 3 beds, air con and pool for $300 a week, could've had it furnished for $350 but I want to get some things of my own again all I have at the moment is my clothes, a few gadgets and my car and it's very disconcerting. That house should be available sometime in October hopefully just in time for when the others get here
sounds like its all happening now K.
hope the family get there in October, it must be harder for you.
good luck with the house too
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

I dont think I can claim anything as Im on a 136 visa is that right. We are back now from holiday and are going to get the bungalow on the market asap plan to book flights for january. That sounds a good price for the rental where abouts is it in cairns. I bet its hard without the family being with you. If you find out about claiming for the flights please can you let me know. Cheers Take care Trudi xx
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:20 pm

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soapy
sounds like its all happening now K.
hope the family get there in October, it must be harder for you.
good luck with the house too
Cheers Soapy
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by sophjam
I dont think I can claim anything as Im on a 136 visa is that right. We are back now from holiday and are going to get the bungalow on the market asap plan to book flights for january. That sounds a good price for the rental where abouts is it in cairns. I bet its hard without the family being with you. If you find out about claiming for the flights please can you let me know. Cheers Take care Trudi xx
Trudi even nurses relocating from Brisbane to Cairns can claim the money, in fact anyone who's moved more than 100km can claim their expenses up to $3000, you will get $1000 at 6 12 and 18 months, there are no pro rata payments if you leave before 6 months you wouldn't get anything, hope that makes sense...just keep your receipts!!

Forgot to say the rental is in Westcourt, quite central and wouldn't be my first choice but it's a private agreement and the owner will let us rent 6 months at a time...we hope to be in a position to buy early next year.

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Aug 22nd 2007 at 10:26 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:27 pm

Have been miserable today, find the weekends the worst being here on my own, I'm Ok at work, that keeps me occupied, but weekends first thing in the morning when you want to turn over and go back to sleep and you can't because the birds are in full flow...I love to hear the birds I just want the rest of my family to hear them too
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:29 pm

I need some more of that house selling karma please
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

House selling karma sent - please send me some too!!

I'm shocked that your getting weekends off - how lucky are you??!! Although I'm still off permanently cos not found work in UK yet!!

It must be hard not having your family there but it'll be worth it in the end
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have been miserable today, find the weekends the worst being here on my own, I'm Ok at work, that keeps me occupied, but weekends first thing in the morning when you want to turn over and go back to sleep and you can't because the birds are in full flow...I love to hear the birds I just want the rest of my family to hear them too
It wont be long and you will be together again enjoy the peace while you can you wont know where to turn when the family arrives. I loved the sound of the birds. How are the kids coping without you? are they being spoilt by the family? how have you been passing time on your days off? i loved the lagoon and the cafes on the boardwalk. I bet its hard just waiting is your hubby doing all the packing mine would bin everthing couldnt let him do it!!! my son is 16 today i feel so old take care keep in touch 4 months and we will be there too.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:32 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

hi k, just get up early and head out for breakfast and then start looking for nice things for your house. try to enjoy it, because at the mo you know you cant change it.
i bet when the family arrives you will be wishing you had the weekends to yourself now and again lol
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are hoping to move to cairns early next year and i have been a nurse for almost 23 years with most of my experience on Casualty, are they looking for nurses in your hospital do you know
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ronnie and Deb
Hi we are hoping to move to cairns early next year and i have been a nurse for almost 23 years with most of my experience on Casualty, are they looking for nurses in your hospital do you know
Hi Im sure they still are send off an expression of interest with cv to the Queensland health and Ill bet they will be in touch within a week give it a go. I also sent my cv directly to the human resources at the base hospital just to be sure. There is also a private hospital in cairns run by the catholic church. My sister in law has just started work there as an sen and and she loves it. She said she would go for the base though if she wasnt pregnant!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by midwife2be
House selling karma sent - please send me some too!!

I'm shocked that your getting weekends off - how lucky are you??!! Although I'm still off permanently cos not found work in UK yet!!

It must be hard not having your family there but it'll be worth it in the end
I get weekends off because I'm on rotation in day surgery, then when I go to theatres I won't do weekends untill they decide I'm competent to handle all the emergencies and stuff but they said new grads don't generally work weekends in the first year! this is only in theatre....on the wards it's all the shifts right from the start
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by sophjam
It wont be long and you will be together again enjoy the peace while you can you wont know where to turn when the family arrives. I loved the sound of the birds. How are the kids coping without you? are they being spoilt by the family? how have you been passing time on your days off? i loved the lagoon and the cafes on the boardwalk. I bet its hard just waiting is your hubby doing all the packing mine would bin everthing couldnt let him do it!!! my son is 16 today i feel so old take care keep in touch 4 months and we will be there too.
Hi Trudi, kids and hubby are all OK, my poor hubby has never done so much house work in his life!! on my days off I always go out and about and explore the place...me and my little red car have been up to the Tablelands, Port Douglas, Mossman, Josephine Falls, The Boulders, Kuranda, the beaches, Crystal cascades (saw a snake there!), also started shopping and getting new things for our house...bought a new bed and it is lush! look forward to meeting you when you get here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.