Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Where has the time gone? In March 2010 we will have been living (and loving) our life here in OZ!
What can I say? Its fantastic would be a start I guess.
All the family love it, including the eldest who is currently here from Otago on his Xmas/New Year break.
He is already planning his move to Canberra, like us he has found loads of new friends. We all have a full on hectic social life and things just could not be better. Our UK visitor has been with us for 3 months, he left today, and already he is hooked on Canberra, is planning selling up his business in London and moving across here where he plans another business.
Hubby and I have fantastic well paid jobs, and we have never looked back since leaving NZ in March 2008. Its definately our best move ever.
We just moved into our own home and adopted a cat that lived 3 doors away, lol it left home and decided it wanted to live with us. The owners were moving away to another part of the city, so Bella the cat is our new addition to the family. She's just gorgeous.
Hope everyone is enjoying life in OZ as much as we are, its been worth all the heartache we had in NZ to finally be at peace here and loving every minute of every day.
Hope everyone has a great Xmas and New Year and we look forward to another 25 years or more living here in Canberra. We just LOVE it!
Merry Xmas everyone.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Sounds excellent, well done.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure Bella is looking forward to her Christmas turkey.

Merry Christmas, thanks for the lovely write up
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a really upbeat & lovely post!

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
What a really upbeat & lovely post!

Merry Christmas!
Many Thanks everyone. Emigrating isnt for everyone and some people move to OZ and hate it. We had such a miserable time in NZ, OZ was our last shot before going back to the UK. So we went for it and have never looked back.
Our friends list grows daily and we do not have enough hours in the week to find time to visit all our friends which is a pity as some have become very close friends and we have much planned next year with some which is going to be very exciting!
We can say we definately made the right choice in coming to OZ and especially Canberra.
Hubby never stops saying how much he loves Canberra and Australia.
Merry Christmas everyone and hope all your plans and dreams come true whatever they may be.
PS Yes Bella will enjoy her turkey! LOL Spoilt madam she is..lol
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

My old neighbour in NZ ( a Brit) rings me up often for a chat as she misses our cuppa's and chats.
One thing she said to me last time we spoke a week or so ago was that she has not heard me say one negative thing about life here in Australia. So she asked me to name one thing that I could find fault with here.
After a 10 minute pause or so....I still couldnt find one! LOL
In the end I just said 'the damn flies'...LOL
Bring on 2010!! Cant wait.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

One other thing that happened since moving to OZ.
Years ago in the Uk, I lived 3 doors away from a couple and their 2 younger children, plus their eldest daughter from a previous marriage who my sister mated around with.
These 2 young kids, Julie & Tony were my 'babies'. I used to look after them when their parents went out.
At the tender age of 5 and 8 years old, they emigrated to Australia, I was about 14/15 then.
I longed to follow them and still remember looking at their empty home the day after they left in the UK. How sad I was.
I knew they moved to Perth and although I saw the mum again when she visited her eldest daughter back in the Uk, I never saw Julie and Tony again.
I never forgot them.
Anyway, long story short, my nephew in the Uk mates around with another old neighbour in the same street I grew up in.
He told me had had Julie's contact.
I got in touch with her, not sure if she would remember me and blow me down she did!
It turns out she is in Wollongong, about a 2 hour drive from me, her brother lives about a hour away from her and both parents are still alive and are wanting to meet up again.
So, we plan a trip during the hols to Wollongong to see Julie, Tony and their parents.
I am really really pleased to be finally seeing my 'babies' again!
Although they are in their late 30's and early 40's now!
A dream come true.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Meggzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
One other thing that happened since moving to OZ.
Years ago in the Uk, I lived 3 doors away from a couple and their 2 younger children, plus their eldest daughter from a previous marriage who my sister mated around with.
These 2 young kids, Julie & Tony were my 'babies'. I used to look after them when their parents went out.
At the tender age of 5 and 8 years old, they emigrated to Australia, I was about 14/15 then.
I longed to follow them and still remember looking at their empty home the day after they left in the UK. How sad I was.
I knew they moved to Perth and although I saw the mum again when she visited her eldest daughter back in the Uk, I never saw Julie and Tony again.
I never forgot them.
Anyway, long story short, my nephew in the Uk mates around with another old neighbour in the same street I grew up in.
He told me had had Julie's contact.
I got in touch with her, not sure if she would remember me and blow me down she did!
It turns out she is in Wollongong, about a 2 hour drive from me, her brother lives about a hour away from her and both parents are still alive and are wanting to meet up again.
So, we plan a trip during the hols to Wollongong to see Julie, Tony and their parents.
I am really really pleased to be finally seeing my 'babies' again!
Although they are in their late 30's and early 40's now!
A dream come true.
What a lovely story...enjoy your visit & thankyou for sharing
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Excellent, very glad to hear you are still enjoying it.

I just find it incredible how two countries that get lumped together so often can be so completely different. NZ so negative, recession-hit, poverty stricken, low-waged and expensive, Australia so positive, upbeat and Westernized.

I know there are those who will disagree, but there are so many on this forum who have had the same NZ/Oz experience as you, Rascal and me, we can't all be wrong!

Here's to the next 25 years! And please let me know if you are going to be visiting Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Excellent, very glad to hear you are still enjoying it.

I just find it incredible how two countries that get lumped together so often can be so completely different. NZ so negative, recession-hit, poverty stricken, low-waged and expensive, Australia so positive, upbeat and Westernized.

I know there are those who will disagree, but there are so many on this forum who have had the same NZ/Oz experience as you, Rascal and me, we can't all be wrong!

Here's to the next 25 years! And please let me know if you are going to be visiting Melbourne.

Buzzy
Buzzy, you make me want to visit (NZ) to see for myself!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rascal;8186436]

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Buzzy, you make me want to visit (NZ) to see for myself!
Mate, a visit will just show you what it's like to be a tourist there. And it's actually a pretty good country to be a tourist in.

To really appreciate what me and Rascal have been through (and Rascal had it even worse than me) you have to live there.

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:30 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Buzzy--Bee;8211966]
Originally Posted by Rascal

Mate, a visit will just show you what it's like to be a tourist there. And it's actually a pretty good country to be a tourist in.

To really appreciate what me and Rascal have been through (and Rascal had it even worse than me) you have to live there.

Buzzy
Agree, nice for a holiday or weekend break. But living is different. I would be happy (but I will be happy where ever I live) but the rest of the family would be constantly remind me of how bad it is.

For a majority it would be the money (or lack of it) being the main reason for complaint. But its more than that its about horizons and poppy fields
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely to read that you have found the place for you and your family.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

[quote=Geelong Gent;8212222]
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Agree, nice for a holiday or weekend break. But living is different. I would be happy (but I will be happy where ever I live) but the rest of the family would be constantly remind me of how bad it is.

For a majority it would be the money (or lack of it) being the main reason for complaint. But its more than that its about horizons and poppy fields
We have been here nearly six years now. We are not at all unhappy but I would agree with the comment about money and horizons. It can be very limiting.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by BEVS

We have been here nearly six years now. We are not at all unhappy but I would agree with the comment about money and horizons. It can be very limiting.
I envy you Bevs, I would have loved to make it work there as so many of our family are there.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.