Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Been here 3 months and.......

Been here 3 months and.......

Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of
Default Re: Been here 3 months and.......

Think you maybe more alert to british accents, I must add.

Originally Posted by acbh2
Still loving it!!! Couldn't ever imagine going back to the UK

We landed on our feet pretty quickly with the OH landing a fab job thats Brisbane pay and based on the Gold coast he goes to Brisbane when he decides as being a manager its down to him, so not as much travelling for him as we originally thought which is great

The children have settled well although we have had a few teething problems finding a school that suits our eldest who is 10 but he is starting at a new school in October and we are pretty confident he will like it, as is he.

To begin with we found our selfs in little england (or pacific pines) practically everyone we have met who lives here is from the UK. Its as if there is a built in radar for us all to come here Its a nice area but not for us long term as its to far from our sons new school and we want him to be able to make his own way there.

As for me well I'm loving life here and enjoying my non working time as a full time mum in the sun. There isn't a day that passes that we don't do something interesting whether that be going to the beach, seaworld, the park, toddlers, usually with some of the other great peeps I've been lucky enough to meet. The kids are off for 2 weeks and we are busy with someone everyday tiring I konw lol. Many peeps we have met are poms or scozzies but also some true blue ozzies, I haven't met a rude person yet (Well actually I have but lifes to short, so move on thats what I say!!)

I had worried about our social lifes as we knew we wouldn't have on hand babysitters anymore, but we needn't have worried as there isn't a weekend that has passed in the last 5 or 6 where we haven't been to a barbie at someones house or had them back at ours, unless we've met at the beach instead a fair old amount of wine has been drunk and some activities including swimming fully clothed have followed

This weekend is busy with a girls night in surfers which I'm sure will keep me in my bed all day sunday, but lifes to short so better enjoy it.

Almost forgot we've bought a house woohoo well subject to contract anyway

To those who are still to make the journey I wish you all luck and hope you find the dream you are looking for.

hugs Axxxxxxx

P.S. For those of you who shop I've been to Ikea with the ladies many times since I've got here:, but usually just for a scout round, coffee and lunch, it's weird as you could be in Ikea in Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Liverpool as its identical.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Still loving it!!! Couldn't ever imagine going back to the UK

We landed on our feet pretty quickly with the OH landing a fab job thats Brisbane pay and based on the Gold coast he goes to Brisbane when he decides as being a manager its down to him, so not as much travelling for him as we originally thought which is great

The children have settled well although we have had a few teething problems finding a school that suits our eldest who is 10 but he is starting at a new school in October and we are pretty confident he will like it, as is he.

To begin with we found our selfs in little england (or pacific pines) practically everyone we have met who lives here is from the UK. Its as if there is a built in radar for us all to come here Its a nice area but not for us long term as its to far from our sons new school and we want him to be able to make his own way there.

As for me well I'm loving life here and enjoying my non working time as a full time mum in the sun. There isn't a day that passes that we don't do something interesting whether that be going to the beach, seaworld, the park, toddlers, usually with some of the other great peeps I've been lucky enough to meet. The kids are off for 2 weeks and we are busy with someone everyday tiring I konw lol. Many peeps we have met are poms or scozzies but also some true blue ozzies, I haven't met a rude person yet (Well actually I have but lifes to short, so move on thats what I say!!)

I had worried about our social lifes as we knew we wouldn't have on hand babysitters anymore, but we needn't have worried as there isn't a weekend that has passed in the last 5 or 6 where we haven't been to a barbie at someones house or had them back at ours, unless we've met at the beach instead a fair old amount of wine has been drunk and some activities including swimming fully clothed have followed

This weekend is busy with a girls night in surfers which I'm sure will keep me in my bed all day sunday, but lifes to short so better enjoy it.

Almost forgot we've bought a house woohoo well subject to contract anyway

To those who are still to make the journey I wish you all luck and hope you find the dream you are looking for.

hugs Axxxxxxx

P.S. For those of you who shop I've been to Ikea with the ladies many times since I've got here:, but usually just for a scout round, coffee and lunch, it's weird as you could be in Ikea in Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Liverpool as its identical.

Cant believe you've been there 3 months!!!! So pleased you're enjoying yourself. can you remind me how old your kids are again, i know you got one at 10.... mine are 10, 3 and 2x1yrs.. just a bit worried cos i wont have anyone to help me either, just hubby when he's not at work..

very pleased for you and good luck again. S-j xxx
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:52 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Cant believe you've been there 3 months!!!! So pleased you're enjoying yourself. can you remind me how old your kids are again, i know you got one at 10.... mine are 10, 3 and 2x1yrs.. just a bit worried cos i wont have anyone to help me either, just hubby when he's not at work..

very pleased for you and good luck again. S-j xxx
I'm sure you'll be fine hun! My 2 are 10 and 4, aslong as you get out to the local playgroups you'll meet peeps and this really does ward of the boredom. I have taken up every invitation offered, and invited others out its a good way of making friends, and once you do and the kids have someone to play with you'll find it easier.

Can't offer to meet for coffee as your moving to far away

Axx
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

marklyndapoole is on a distinguished road

Thought I would add a few comments and its great to hear people are settling in well.

What if you are not?

We have been in Sydney for 3 months and not all going well as quick as I hoped.

In Sydney due to work but hope to move to Brisbane or Townsville next year. We are all missing are old lives and kids not the same since we got here. I hate seeing them like they are at the moment. Been off this last two weeks so not too bad but back to school on Monday.

Lost for what to do at the moment but this is not what we were after. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know its early days and I am sure time will help but I an pretty convinced Sydney is not the place.

Mark
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:11 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marklyndapoole
Thought I would add a few comments and its great to hear people are settling in well.

What if you are not?

We have been in Sydney for 3 months and not all going well as quick as I hoped.

In Sydney due to work but hope to move to Brisbane or Townsville next year. We are all missing are old lives and kids not the same since we got here. I hate seeing them like they are at the moment. Been off this last two weeks so not too bad but back to school on Monday.

Lost for what to do at the moment but this is not what we were after. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know its early days and I am sure time will help but I an pretty convinced Sydney is not the place.

Mark
Hi Mark if your looking for advice of peeps you would be aswell reposting this in the barbie section under its own heading as most peeps usually spend more time on that section than on the update forum.

Sorry to hear its not goin so well.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark if your looking for advice of peeps you would be aswell reposting this in the barbie section under its own heading as most peeps usually spend more time on that section than on the update forum.

Sorry to hear its not goin so well.
I agree with A mark, repost it, there are other people who dont settle too well either.

Good stuff andrea!! Good to hear your settling well. You have prompted me to think about our update too.haha. I should really. Good to read you. x x
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
I agree with A mark, repost it, there are other people who dont settle too well either.

Good stuff andrea!! Good to hear your settling well. You have prompted me to think about our update too.haha. I should really. Good to read you. x x
Yes hun you def should, be good to hear how your all getting on! Hp there's been no more incidents of police pullovers Not been pulled yet but am surprised as it seems there are loads of peeps randomly pulled over

Anyway hope to read it soon.

Axx
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Yes hun you def should, be good to hear how your all getting on! Hp there's been no more incidents of police pullovers Not been pulled yet but am surprised as it seems there are loads of peeps randomly pulled over

Anyway hope to read it soon.

Axx
A, have done the update for you all, strangely I have had you, pearly and Mrs JFW all asking!! all within a short period of time - I am sure there is a conspiracy.haha