Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Aussie citizens after 5 years :)

Aussie citizens after 5 years :)

Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:11 am
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about
Default Aussie citizens after 5 years :)

I've been reading many posts and seeing a number of people feeling unsettled with the decision to move to Oz. All I can say is give it time. We (me and second hubby) moved here in October 2007 with my youngest daughter (then aged 15). My other two kids were older (18 and 20) and decided they wanted to remain in the UK (boyfriends, uni etc) with their dad. Within the first year my daughter returned to the UK. She didn't settle at all and missed her school and friends so we agreed she could return to finish school. We had burned our bridges over there and sold everything so were committed to giving here a really good go. 12 months later, my older daughter came out on a WHV, met her current Aussie partner and has been here ever since (now on a partner visa).

We live in rural NSW (Rylstone) and I was lucky to get work very quickly in a local school (teacher) 5 minutes walk from my home. My hubby set up in business as a local builder and although his job has taken longer to get off the ground, he is doing well now and has plenty of work (and rarely advertises anymore as most is by word of mouth). I have now been promoted to Assistant Principal at the same school and last November we became Aussie citizens.

I love my life here - so peaceful, laid back, no traffic, no crime, genuine people. Yes there are things I miss - my kids and family obviously, but they are adults and have their own lives (son is going to work in Canada in March) and skype is a godsend. I still crave the colder weather at Christmas and can't quite get into the spirit in the sunshine. Other than that - nothing. To anyone having doubts - just give it time. Australia has so much to offer but you have to be open to accept it. If you constantly compare things to the UK you will never settle. Embrace all it has, it's a fantastic country.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie citizens after 5 years :)

Congrats on your citizenship.

Glad you're loving Oz.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

I really liked your update, I think the key is being realistic, we have been here four years and take our citizenship ceremony on Australia Day and I feel much the same as you. We didn't expect everything to be perfect but gave it a good go and appreciate pretty much everything. No, it will never be perfect but then neither was life in the UK and here offers more.Like you our family will be scattered but that would have happened in the UK as well,children leaving home and moving away. Strangely I can accept and enjoy Christmas in the sun but the rest of the family still want the 'cold xmas'. I went back to UK last Easter for my mum's funeral and although not a good reson to return it did confirm for me that Australia is home.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update, thanks for sharing. So nice to see that you are doing well .. and as you say it does take a long time to find one's feet when you move abroad to get settled.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting citizenship- I really must get around to it this year- and like you, going back for my dad's funeral confirmed that was nothing left for me in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:28 am
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Congrats on getting citizenship- I really must get around to it this year- and like you, going back for my dad's funeral confirmed that was nothing left for me in the UK.
Everyone is entitle to their own opinion but I get really cranky with the number of people who are constantly complaining about everything in Australia - it gives all of us Brits a bad name as whinging poms - I'm always the first to say I chose to live here and I feel very privileged to having been given the opportunity to make Australia my home. I'll be waving the flag on 26th January

Where in Sydney are you carolinephillips and how long have you been here?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on becoming Citizens
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

hopelong7 is an unknown quantity at this point

well done for telling it like it is, ps, i thought teaching jobs were extreamly hard to get. best wishes.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:34 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caronandrod
Everyone is entitle to their own opinion but I get really cranky with the number of people who are constantly complaining about everything in Australia - it gives all of us Brits a bad name as whinging poms - I'm always the first to say I chose to live here and I feel very privileged to having been given the opportunity to make Australia my home. I'll be waving the flag on 26th January

I feel privileged as well.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing about that post that resonates with me is your realistic view of kids needs. I have two daughters in UK with my ex, now 20 and 16 but when I first moved out here they were 16 and 12 and it was very difficult to leave them behind. I spoke with them and explained the opportunity I had here and how I was finding it a bit tough back in UK. They accepted and gave me their 'blessing' to move here with my son and wife.
Murphys law and a year ago my youngest daughter was getting very upset with me and wanted me to come back as she missed me and needed me. It was a real heartbreaker for me as I had not just the loving emotion but also the guilt eating away at me. But, I took a very black and white view of it and spoke to her a lot over a few weeks and explained that if I came back I would have no job, home or income and that would make me unhappy and my family living in difficult circumstances. She didn't care!! 'I don't care Dad, I want you back here!". I spoke with her mother a lot, we get on fabulously, and she urged me to ignore her and it would pass.
I kept on talking to her and explaining things and then eventually I just said "**** if I come back and you get a new boyfriend and want to see him all the time what do I do then?" She had no answer and I just said "I understand your need, I understand we are both missing each other, but, I don't think you are seeing my side of this and so I have to tell you that I am staying. I have nothing apart from your needs right now to come back to and they will change very quickly."
My eldest daughter completely supported my decision and comforted the youngest but also told her that she should understand my needs as well as hers. Eventually the mood changed and now she again comfortable with me being here and we talk all the time on Skype and Facetime and she is smiling again. She has just been accepted to the Welsh National Opera and has a diversion more important than me to be concerned about....I was so tempted to say "told you so!!".
It was difficult but it had to be done and to the OP I think it must of been a bit difficult when your youngest went back but in the long term it all pans out.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caronandrod

St Ives- been here 4 and a half years, and love it- though I'm a bit fed up with the heat today- mainly because the dogs I'm fostering are so hot they are panting heavily and looking uncomfortable despite being cooled with wet towels.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hopelong7
well done for telling it like it is, ps, i thought teaching jobs were extreamly hard to get. best wishes.
The key with a teaching job is to get your foot in the door as a casual teacher, secure a temporary block of work and then work bloody hard to prove they cannot function without you lol
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

+1